+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Let my pan go nasty

Default Let my pan go nasty

For the second year in a row I let my last bit of sap sit in the pan after my last boil. And let it sit. And let it sit. Even more than last year. 7 weeks.

March 7th was my last boils and I cleaned my pan out today, April 29th. The sap was full on nasty, moldy, ropey and brown. Stuck a hose in the float box and a 1" drain hose on the outlet. Let the water run as I scrubbed it with a brush. The fermented sap has melted all the niter and stuck on minerals and the pan came sparkling clean with no vinegar and not a lot of harsh scrubbing. My only mistake was not leaving the sap deep enough to take all the stuff above the boil line. Next year I'll leave 4" or so in the pan.

Won't even have to take the pans off the arch I don't think. Just flush out once more with clean water, suck out the drop flues with a suction gun and let it sit until next year.
    1980 - 6 taps, stone fire pit, drain pan evaporator, 1 pint of syrup
    2016 - 55 taps on 3/16 and gravity, new sugar shack, 2x3 Mason XL, 16 gallons of syrup
    2017 - 170 taps on 3/16, 2x4 Mason XL, NextGen RO. 50 gallons of syrup
    2018 - 250+ taps on gravity and buckets, 2x5 Smokey Lake arch and Beaverland pan.
    2019 - 250+ taps on gravity. A few buckets. 35 gallons of syrup.
    2020 - 300+ taps on gravity. 50 gallons of syrup.
    2021 - 280 taps on gravity and 40 buckets. 35 gallons of syrup.

We usually let ours sit until mid-summer. It works!

I fill mine to within about 3" of the top, but I have a small pan. I powerwash it after draining and I do very little scrubbing.
    125-150 taps
    Smokey Lakes Full pint Hybrid pan
    Modified half pint arch
    Air over fire
    All 3/16 tubing
    Southern Ohio

Same here. Works great.
    -Ryan

Went off the deep end. Might be in over my head...

We fill ours to 1/4" from the top in both the flue pan and the syrup pan and leave it until you get the dry heaves from the stench - normally early June. It takes almost 400 gallons. It does polish the stainless up very nicely.
    4,600 Taps on vacuum
    9,400 gallons storage
    3 tower CDL RO
    3.5'x14' Lapierre Force 5
    Twitter & Instagram: @ennismaple
    www.ennismaple.com

I think I'll try that, next year. I just don't think of it at the right time.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Works great...especially if you don't have to be in the sugarhouse much for a few months OR if you have an exceptionally poor sense of smell. We fill our pans right to the top and let it sit most of the summer. For those with older soldered pans...don't let it go TOO long or the (acetic) acid can eat right through the seams.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

I'll let mine soak as long as I can, usually into July. I filled it within an inch of the top, which is what I usually do. It takes about 100 gallons of sap, which at the time was spoiled and disgusting. It's really bad now, but it seems the worse it smells, the better it works. Usually, warmer weather speeds it up. Funny, but this year we really haven't had any since the season ended (we had nicer weather during the season). Last year most of the scale came off easy, but there were a few spots that wouldn't give up. So, hoping it works on everything this year. I want to keep my pan "scratch-free" if I can.
    Gary / Zena Crossroads / 42˚ 00' 24" N / Hobby in Early '70s, Addiction since 2014

175+ taps on 3/16 (60 of which are on two Lunchbox Vac/Releasers)
    12x34 timber framed sap house w/attached 10x34 shed roof for storage
    2 x 6 Smoky Lake hybrid pan on Corsair arch with AUF/steam hood/preheater/concentric exhaust
    7.0 KW Sun Power PV System, Smokey Lake Filter Press/Steam Bottler, Modified NGMP RO - 2 4x40 posts 200 gph

I have been doing it this way for years, works great. I bought new pans this year, Leader max flue and revolution syrup pans, and they said not to let sap ferment in them. Did not say why, maybe to sell more pan acid? Now I don't have any sap available to do this and I really didn't want to use acid.
    First introduced to making maple syrup in 1969
    Making syrup every year since 1979
    3 x 10 oil fired
    Revolution syrup and max flue pan
    Almost 1300 taps total with 900 on high vacuum
    Bought first Marcland drawoff in 1997, still going strong.

i think i'll also try that next year... sick of scrubbing. the only reason i haven't, is i HATE the cleaning process and would rather get it done and over with as soon as possible and not have to do it in the middle of the summer. but if it works that well, and only minor scrubbing is necessary, then it is probably worth doing in the summer! Question though... does it get off the slimy defoamer residue that sticks to the sides? Vinegar sure doesn't!
    Awfully thankful for an understanding wife!

“The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.”
    - Vincent “Vince” Lombardi

Good luck to all!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast