+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hand pump

Default Hand pump

Looking to get set up for next year. I’m setting up 2 short tubing lines, each emptying into a 55 gallon drum. I’ve been looking at a 12v or gas pump, but wondering if anyone has had any success with a hand pump. Thanks!
    1990's: Dad ran a buckets and cinder block evaporator, dragged us kids along.
    2020: 35 buckets over a cinder block evaporator
    2021: Smoky Lake Dauntless with a divided pan. 45 taps on 3/16 tubing and another 45 buckets. Set up in a Lean-to off the side of the shed

If you are thinking a hand operated diaphragm pump, it would work but may to rather slow. If thinking some other hand pump, just make sure it is food safe (or rated for potable water) and determine if the time to pump sounds OK.
    12V battery powered pumps will move a specified GPM (or GPH) once it has primed and as long as the battery is not run low.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

I imagine that a food safe manually operated pump would be about the slowest way possible to move sap. I use a 12v Shurflo, which is probably the second slowest. But, it's moved all my sap (well over 10K gals) over the past five years without issue. I run it off my vehicle battery, and there have been a few times it drained the battery too low. Fortunately, I was at my shack those times and not in the field. I now have several backup pumps (AC), so the 12v does not have to do all the work.
    Gary / Zena Crossroads / 42˚ 00' 24" N / Hobby in Early '70s, Addiction since 2014

175+ taps on 3/16 (60 of which are on two Lunchbox Vac/Releasers)
    12x34 timber framed sap house w/attached 10x34 shed roof for storage
    2 x 6 Smoky Lake hybrid pan on Corsair arch with AUF/steam hood/preheater/concentric exhaust
    7.0 KW Sun Power PV System, Smokey Lake Filter Press/Steam Bottler, Modified NGMP RO - 2 4x40 posts 200 gph

I agree go with a 12volt pump. You can get one starting at around $40.00, but a good one will be closer to 100.00. I bought a 110 to 12v converter and I can use mine in the shack or off the tractor.
    125-150 taps
    Smokey Lakes Full pint Hybrid pan
    Modified half pint arch
    Air over fire
    All 3/16 tubing
    Southern Ohio

+ Reply to Thread