+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tap Wood Lumber

Default Tap Wood Lumber

So my wife and I are building a house that we are planning to do some accent walls with wood. So I wanted to reach out to see if anyone knew of, had, or was milling maple tap lumber. I'd love to be able to snag some lumber that had actual character. Thanks for any help.

It puzzles me that sawmills devalue tapped maple so much but when you try to buy some tap hole lumber it is priced way up above the same thing in other grades of lumber. It seems many like to make it into novelty items like wall switch covers and the like.
    Good luck finding some. I might suggest you ask the New York State Maple Producers Association, they used it to panel their booth at the NYS Fair grounds.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Awesome. At least thats a starting point.

Try searching Taphole Maple for sale and see what you get.
    Sugaring for 45+ years
    New Sugarhouse 14'x32'
    New to Me Algier 2'x8' wood fired evaporator
    2022 added a used RB25 RO Bucket
    250 mostly Sugar Maples, 15% Soft Maples. Currently,(110on 3/16" and 125 on Shurflo 4008 vacuum, 15 gravity), (16,000 before being disabled)
    1947 Farmall H and Wagon with gathering tank
    2012 Kubota with forks to move wood around

Good Luck. There used to be a lumberyard around Bennington, VT that carried it when available. I will see if I can find the name unless someone else knows it off the top of their head
    CDL 2x8
    Around 4000 taps
    Polaris ATVs, Ski Doo snowmobiles to get around
    Atlas Copco pumps
    Lapierre two post RO

http://s272.photobucket.com/albums/j...Sugar%20shack/

Maplewalnut, You are thinking of Eagle Lumber in Stamford Vt. They were south/east of Bennington. They closed sometime after a fire in 2012. Someone purchased the property in 2016 and is operating under the name of H.P. Lumber.
    First introduced to making maple syrup in 1969
    Making syrup every year since 1979
    3 x 10 oil fired
    Revolution syrup and max flue pan
    Almost 1300 taps total with 900 on high vacuum
    Bought first Marcland drawoff in 1997, still going strong.

Prices sawmill in Lenox, Pa. May be a Kingsley address. I bought some boards from them years back. They like dabbling in odd wood. Good people. Craig...

We built our house a couple of years ago (2018-19) with some different wood species from our property, including taphole maple for flooring. The tapholes are filled with fiberglass resin as are all of the imperfections from knots, cracks, and other defects. The reason that mills don't use wood with these character traits is that there is very little market, at least for flooring due to the need to fill the defects. It's a huge amount of extra work and the marketplace has demanded less expensive and quick/easy to install products.

We are very pleased with the looks of our flooring. We have ash, hickory, and lots of maple, and multiple boards with tapholes. The wood was harvested for our house lot and road. We had a local sawyer come saw and we helped tail the boards. The boards were sent off to a local flooring mill in Bristol, Vermont (http://exclusivelyvermont.com/). We had the approximately 1800 sf professionally installed, sanded, and finished.

My only regret is that we separated the wood species by rooms except for the master bedroom which was a mix of all woods - and it came out the best! So in hindsight I would have mixed the species throughout the house.

20200427_081512.jpg
    Ken & Sherry
    Williston, VT
    16x34 Sugarhouse
    1,500 taps on high vacuum, Electric Releaser & CDL Sap Lifter
    Wood-Fired Leader 30"x10' Vortex Arch & Max Raised Flue with Rev Syrup Pan & CDL1200 RO
    https://www.facebook.com/pumpkinhillmaple/

Spalted maple with tap hole flooring. It was kiln dried planed and squared 4 sides by Tom Lathrope in Bristol, Vermont.94293752-082C-4385-B5F4-982CF74B5887.jpgC90D8B4C-16E4-432A-A6F5-0CB446DA7C4E.jpg860E4502-B748-491B-BCF7-38A79FDDA31B.jpg

We also installed a figured cherry floor25000B22-5C9F-4B1E-997E-DD33663C5D63.jpg
    Jason
    Highgate
    30,000 plus Taps
    Wood Chip Evaporator
    TapTrack System- Wireless vacuum monitoring

+ Reply to Thread