+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ro sizing

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Quote Originally Posted by Bucket Head View Post
    Keeping the concentrate cold is key.... Four years ago I got a 500 gal. Mueller bulk tank operational. Hands down, behind the RO itself, it is the best sugaring tool I own..... It has been a game changer for my operation.
    Absolutely agree Steve. Having a refrigerated bulk tank essentially decouples the RO process from the evaporation process. You can let the RO run when the sap comes in, and then boil another time (assuming your tank is large enough). It is especially useful for those smallish runs that happen early and late (and sometimes in the middle) of the season. Normally if you RO you'd have to boil, but it might be for only 30-60 min and then shut down. With the bulk tank...you just save it until you've got enough to boil for 4-5 hrs. Where this really saves is on clean-up time. We never boil in the evenings or on weekends any more.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

This is really helpful guys thanks for the input.
    Remember to keep on ticking while the sap is dripping.
    2016- 50 buckets. Made 4 gallons.
    2022- 3900? taps + Smartrek! Made 1300 gallons.

Keep in mind the power requirements. A 6000 tap Vac pump and 1200 RO can add up if your house or other stuff are on the same service.
    2.5X10 HE
    600 RO
    Vac

We never boil in the evenings or on weekends any more.[/QUOTE]

That takes all the sport right out of it...........

3,100 taps
    60 cfm flood
    HC2
    5 by 14 oil

Brian

"Takes the sport right out of it"- LOL!
    In all actuality, I'm at the other end of the spectrum from Dr. Tim and the University. I work full time, so still does my father- so we had (and still have) all we could do after getting home to get our sap collected and ROed. There was no time left for boiling too. We would hold sap, and then concentrate, for too long back in the day, and then would end up dumping some when it didn't keep. That wasn't just counterproductive- it was heartbreaking to us. That wasn't what we trying to do!
    The bulk tank allows us to collect and process all week and then boil on the weekends when we have the time. Yes, we add different "qualities" (depending on temperature and the season) of sap together all week and it probably changes the grade a little. But we make all the grades all season long, lighter to darker, just like everyone else.
    My father and I couldn't do syrup like we are doing now without that tank.
    2014 Upgrades!: 24x40 sugarhouse & 30"x10' Lapierre welded pans, wood fired w/ forced draft, homemade hood & preheater
    400 taps- half on gravity 5/16, half on gravity 3/16
    Airablo R.O. machine - in the house basement!
    Ford F-350 4x4 sap gatherer
    An assortment of barrels, cage tanks & bulk tanks- with one operational for cooling/holding concentrate
    And a few puzzled neighbors...

http://s606.photobucket.com/albums/t...uckethead1920/

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12