+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Anyone own a Timberline Chain Sharpener?

Default Anyone own a Timberline Chain Sharpener?

I’ve had one for a couple of years now, but it seems to be hit and miss for getting the saw sharp. I like the accuracy,no more cutting crescent moons,but saw should cut like a new chain after every sharpening. I keep the rakers at the level they should be,and check the bar frequently for burs. This saw seems to be terrible for loosening the chain all the time,no matter how much you come onto the nuts.562 xp husqvarna
    7th generation maple producer in sugarhouse built in 1892
    2x World Champion Maple Syrup Producer
    1250 taps on cv adapters
    Leader Vortex 3x14 with Max Flue and Revolution Syrup Pan,Enhanced Steam Away
    www.leggettmaplesyrup.com

I have had what I think is the original version of the Timberline Chainsaw Sharpener (The Arnold Precision Chainsaw Sharpener) for 30 years years and it still works very well. It will sharpen your chain to almost factory sharp with factory precision. The only problem I had with it is I loaned the sharpener to a friend who turned the carbide backwards and ruined it. Otherwise, I am still using the replacement carbide I bought
    28 years ago. Always turn the carbide clockwise and do not let anyone else use the tool.

Joe
    2004- 470 taps on gravity and buckets
    2006- 590 taps on gravity and buckets 300 gph RO
    2009- 845 taps on vacuum no buckets, 600 gph RO
    2010- 925 taps on vacuum new 2 stage vacuum pump
    2014- 3045 taps on vacuum, new 1200 gph RO
    2015- 3104 taps on vacuum
    2017- 3213 taps on vacuum
    3' x 10' oil fired evaporator with steamaway

I bought one of that type by a company called Gamn back in the late 70's. Looks exactly like the Timberline. I used it for about a year but then decided I did just as well hand filing. That went on until about 2010, when arthritis got to bothering me. At that time I had a hired man who did most of my cutting, I dropped the trees, he bucked and split. I showed him how to hand sharpen several times but he never got it right. I then just bought a bunch of extra chains. I had him change to a new chain as needed and just hand the dull one on a nail. I then got a Maxx sharpener and I'd sharpen 10 or more at a setting. It was fast and accurate. I still use it, no longer have a hired man. I do still carry a sharp file if needed in the woods, but most all sharpening is done on the Maxx (an Italian mfgr)
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

I have a Timberline and like it. The angle seems a little different than the factory tooth, so it sometimes takes a couple sharpening to cut right. After that, a quick sharpening each time has it back to cutting like a new chain.

I have one. It is great. A bit of a learning curve. If you do real damage to your chain you are best to file it out. I would buy another one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought one of the Stihl sharpeners and find it to be outstanding. Sharpens and adjusts the rake at the same time.

https://www.stihlusa.com/products/ch...ools/2in1file/
    2015 - 8 buckets, 332L sap, 8.5L syrup - Barrel evaporator, 2 steam pans
    2016 - 8 buckets, 432L sap
    2017 - 10 bags, 470L sap, 9L syrup
    2018 - 20 bags, 1050L sap, 17.6L syrup
    2019 - 20 bags, 970L sap, 22.2L syrup
    2020 - 17 bags, 813L sap, 17L syrup

Try a shorter bar on that 562, I have a 575 that had similar issues. Went to a shorter bar a couple years ago and the problem went away
    3,100 taps
    60 cfm flood
    HC2
    5 by 14 oil

Brian

I have had one for 7 years now and like it. Works great and was very easy to use. I would recommend it to anyone.
    Pure Mountain Maple
    Lapierre Mini-Pro
    12x16 sugarhouse
    John Deere 1050 4wd
    John Deere 2130 HFWD
    2- 35 gallon leg tanks, one 65 gallon leg tank
    100 gallon sap feed-tank
    Started with 12 buckets on a flat pan 2013
    2023 - 55 taps. all buckets

+ Reply to Thread