+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Auto start and shutoff on a gas vacuum pump

Default Auto start and shutoff on a gas vacuum pump

This year I gave a friend of mine a task to figure out a auto start and shut off for a gas powered vacuum. He is very close to installing it on my new vacuum this year but we decided not to because when he finished it was in the middle of sugarin season. I’m going to switch it up and put it on my old setup and put it on a 100 taps to test it on the 2021 season! A few things he has added was a 15 second relay, so it will turn over for 15 seconds reset and start again. Witch means when the temperature is fluctuating between the desired temperature to start and shut off point or didn’t start on the first try, it will take 15 seconds to allow the engine to full stop “0 rpms” so it doesn’t grind the starter. The choke was the biggest hurdle my engine is a gx270 is doesn’t come with a thermo Honda choke. So we had to improvise and use a actuator that clips on to the manual choke and a relay to allow the choke to stay on for 10 seconds. We might adjust this to the motor to add or take away the timing of the choke. We are adding solar panels with a battery charge to keep the battery healthy and fully charge when there is a long cold snap because the system does draw a little when not in use. And I have a 30 gallon gas tank so I can get 120 hours on a tank of fuel. Hope it works🤞
    2019:250 gallons
    2020:324 gallons
    2021:?

I never used auto start with my gas powered vacuum pumps but I had an auto off if the tank got full. I ran a wire into the tank at about 3" below the top with an inch or so stripped bare and hooked it to the kill switch on the engine. If it ever got that full the idea was to kill the spark. However, while it got within a few inches of that full, it never had to kill the engine. I only know it would have worked because I added a length of bare wire to hang down enough to short the spark when I hooked it up and the engine quit.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

You might want to take a look at this for some ideas, or an easier way to solve the problem. A customer of mine in Quebec uses this remote start generator to power his AC guzzler pump remote system. The controller turns on the generator when temperature warms up, which then powers his pump. Handles choke and starter timing automatically, and saves running the generator all night. One drawback, it is not as fun as designing your own

http://www.generator-line.com/TwoWir...eControls.html
    Mountain Maple farm
    2022 NAMSC award winning dark amber syrup
    2023: 320 taps, 70% red maples. Mountain Maple S4 diaphragm pump controller with automated sap transfer and text messaging
    https://www.mountainmaplefarm.com
    https://www.facebook.com/MountainMapleFarm/

Quote Originally Posted by Biz View Post
    You might want to take a look at this for some ideas, or an easier way to solve the problem. A customer of mine in Quebec uses this remote start generator to power his AC guzzler pump remote system. The controller turns on the generator when temperature warms up, which then powers his pump. Handles choke and starter timing automatically, and saves running the generator all night. One drawback, it is not as fun as designing your own

http://www.generator-line.com/TwoWir...eControls.html
    I’ll have to look into this. Thanks!

12677ACA-31D8-4955-BCB1-EAF827906BE5.jpg359FD69D-EC9E-4BF5-8924-FA2D36233D1E.jpg

I have made a auto start and stop for my gas Honda gas engine. Doesn’t work very good. But I walked into my local well drilling store and found out the Amish have perfected the auto on off for there gas powered well pumps. It shuts off on pressure, switch the pressure sensor out with a thermostat. I like it! And I’m going to try out there well pumps and hook it up to the releaser tank to push my sap up to my holding tank at the sugar house. I will put it on a float switch. This will save me sleep and fuel.

+ Reply to Thread