+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Whats the best 5/16 spile

Default Whats the best 5/16 spile

I was wondering what the best 5/16 spile to use? I've been using the clear spouts from leader and I've been noticing that they have been splitting on the ends or cracking. They have also been beaking off when I pull them out at the end of the year.
    16x24 sap house
    3x12 G.H.Grimm raised flue
    2500 taps 500 on buckets
    30x34 sap house
    3x12 leader max revolution
    1000 gph Springtech Ro

The CDL signature (smart spout) seem to work well for me with a 5/16 tapping bit. The angle is a little bit of a pain. They seem to seal well, not heave and do not break when pulling. I broke a handful of CV2's this year pulling, My wife didn't break any... Definitely need to be careful and pull straight on the CV2. I've never broken a Smart spout.
    I usually use a Smart spout on new drops and CV2's on older drops.
    2.5X10 HE
    600 RO
    Vac

I liked the CDL signatures that I ran this year. Agreed on the angle not being great, but they sealed nicely.

I will say though that I used H2O innovations semi rigid as my drop lines, and during a decent freeze, several would pop off the spouts. Mentioned it on facebook. A couple guys were having the same issue. I'd be sure to use CDL tubing if I wanted to use their spouts.
    -Ryan

Went off the deep end. Might be in over my head...

I been using the CV2's since they came out and have never had any of them crack or break. How hard are you driving them in?
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

We also use mostly CV2s. One of the crew used to break some each year. The others had no problem. It was the shape of the hammer face and the weight of it, plus the fact that he liked to tap way over his head that I think was causing the problem.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

We use CV2s. This is our third season using them and put in over 10k per year. They are proven to yield higher than other spouts, that’s why we use them, but they are more brittle than others we used before. Perhaps we are driving them into the tree too hard, but more than a few each day will break off at the end when we pull. We try to pull with the Spout puller directly under the spout pointing straight up. Even then they sometimes break, so we carry drills to drill out the broken piece left in tree. I believe some of these spouts actually crack when we drive them in, cause it seems no matter how we pull some of them will break. Anyway, they are certainly weaker than other spouts I’ve used , tho one year we used the clear leader 90s and those were similarly brittle (they’re essentially the same spout without the check valve). Wish quality control was better but they bring us in more sap and are worth it.

I've used CV and then CV2 from the start. Then 3 yrs ago I tried some Zap Bac spouts. I've now decided to use CV2, but seasonal clear on new drops, then CV2 on 2nd and third yr drops. I change after 3 yrs on all drops.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Quote Originally Posted by maple flats View Post
    I change after 3 yrs on all drops.
    Dave...do you change all your drops in one year or do it on a 3-year rotation? I'd suggest doing the rotation to spread out the risk a bit.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

I change all every 3 years. Now that I reduced my number of taps to between 400-500 and will not be growing larger again, I like changing all at the same time. Back when I had 2 leases plus my own at the sugarhouse I changed on location every year. I hear what you say about spreading it out, but I don't have a good system to know which are on which schedule.
    So in year 1, new drops and clear seasonal taps, in year 2 and 3 new CV2 and new tees as well as any other fittings if in the 3/16 laterals. @021 is scheduled to be all new drops.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

how much of a benefit do you get form changing the drops every 3-5 years if yo are using cv's? i thought i read that it isn't a big issue if using cv's, to extend drop replacement? i use cv's and on occasion they'll break when taking them out... but that's more my issue of not lining up correctly when pulling the spout? This year i used cv's on one section with 6-7 year old drops and i feel that section under preformed quite considerably! so, i'll change them next year... but curious if that was my isssue... which i assume it was?
    Awfully thankful for an understanding wife!

“The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.”
    - Vincent “Vince” Lombardi

Good luck to all!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast