+ Reply to Thread

Thread: bottling with non-mason jars

Default bottling with non-mason jars

I've only ever bottled into mason jars before and am pretty familiar with the canning process with those. I'd like to start bottling in bottles that are more user friendly for pouring (like the ones linked below). My question is how are the seals on jars like this (i.e. non mason jars)? Do you still get the same air tight seal? Is there any special trick to bottling that'd be different than what I do with mason jars?

https://www.amazon.com/North-Mountai...7136756&sr=8-2
    Last edited by jwmiller; 04-17-2020 at 10:42 AM.

No trick. The caps should include a foam seal that forms an airtight seal when packed hot. It's good practice to lay the bottles on their side for a few minutes after filling so the hot syrup has a chance to sterilize the top of the container and lid.
    Dave Barker
    2014 30 taps, steam tray pans
    2015 ~100 taps, in conjunction with University of Louisville
    2x5 Smoky Lake hybrid pan
    2022 150 taps

Correct, no trick. If you've been hot water bathing your canning jars, you don't need to do that with the flasks. You don't need to do it with canning jars either for that matter.

I don't have any problem filling cold 8oz and 12oz flasks, but some people like to preheat them. Theory is the syrup needs to be hot enough for long enough after it gets in the glass to kill any possible pathogens. That's why you need to tip them also, to sterilize the lid, like Dave said. The smaller the bottles, the more heat gets robbed from the syrup to heat the glass. Especially the smallest, 100ml and under bottles should be preheated. 8oz is kinda borderline depending on how hot the syrup is.

Lastly, I imagine you just posted that link to show what you are talking about, but that's a crazy price. Most maple supply places sell those flasks for under $10 per case of 12. If you want a suggestion of where to look in MN, let me know.
    -Ryan

Went off the deep end. Might be in over my head...

Another trick would be to not to pay those prices. Look at Bascom Maple, I think they have better prices.
    Matt,
    Minehart Gap Maple

+ Reply to Thread