+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Reviews and critique for homemade ro

No voyage yet. Still need to get 2 membranes. May do a little fall tapping to test it.

Quote Originally Posted by cjf12 View Post
    Mind giving your reasons for sch 80 vs 40? And did your 330 not do the job or are you looking for more flow to maintain membranes longer?
    At the time I didn't know the pressure specs for 40 vs 80, and it looked better standing in the store lookin at the 2 side by side. The 330 does great on 2 4x40's, I'm goin to run 4 4x40's with the 660.
    '12 15 jugs - Steam pans
    '17 125 3/16 - 18" x 72" drop flue on homemade arch
    '18 240 3/16 - Deer Run 125
    '19 450 3/16 - Converted RO to electric/added a membrane
    '20 600 3/16 - Maple Pro 2x6 Raised Flue, added AOF/AUF
    '21 570 3/16 - Built steam hood, Smoky Lake filter press
    '22 800 3/16 - Upgraded RO to 4 4x40
    '23 500 3/16 - Re-plumbed RO, new "Guzzler"
    '24 500 3/16 - Steam Away, DIY 8x40 RO

Quote Originally Posted by bmbmkr View Post
    At the time I didn't know the pressure specs for 40 vs 80, and it looked better standing in the store lookin at the 2 side by side. The 330 does great on 2 4x40's, I'm goin to run 4 4x40's with the 660.
    This is ideally what Id like to put together using the 660.

CJ, it looks like you ran these in series from what I see in the picture. Correct me if Im wrong, can only hold my head sideways for so long before my phone turns the screen. If you didnt, can you let us know why you plumbed the way you did? (Just for reference, not questioning)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mead Maple "It's for the kids..."
    Paul Cerminara
    2019 - First season ever
    -Goal: 3 gallons
    -Season Total: 7.5 gallons - pulled taps after running out of firewood and time
    Built 2'x8' Oil Fired with Thor drop flue pans
    -Goal: 20 gallons
    -Season Total: 55 gallons

From my understanding the 330 will not allow enough flow for parrellel. Series it will work. My biggest concern was that my last membrane may start to foul before the rest. That's why i added the recirc to it. It may still be an issue but not sure how to know if that does happen. I have always batch recirculated before.

Quote Originally Posted by cjf12 View Post
    From my understanding the 330 will not allow enough flow for parrellel. Series it will work. My biggest concern was that my last membrane may start to foul before the rest. That's why i added the recirc to it. It may still be an issue but not sure how to know if that does happen. I have always batch recirculated before.
    The more flow, the less fouling. 330 gph = 5.5 gpm.

If you run 2 in parallel vs series, you split that 5.5 gpm to 2.25 in each membrane.

Dow XLE's specs say 14 gpm max flow. Theoretically you could run 2 membranes on a 660, but at $650 for the pump vs $130 for a 330, I'd venture to guess that's why more people run 330's, not to mention you can run a 330 on a little less horsepower. The Procon pump curve graph shows the 660 at 2.5hp.

When you recirculate, you get a little less flow, but more concentration. If you are in series, or parallel, recirculation won't stop the second membrane from plugging, if anything, recirculation could cause it to foul faster, as your are running sweeter concentrate in to begin with, but that all depends on how high a pressure you're running. I had planned on swapping membranes during the season to prevent this, but with regular rinsing and washing, I haven't found the need to.

I slowly close the needle valve until I get to 275 psi and let it run. When the pressure climbs to 290, I open up the needle valve for a few minutes and let it flush at max flow for a few minutes. I'm usually concentrating 500-900 gallons, and I run it right back into the bulk tank. This isn't as efficient a running into a dedicated concentrate tank, but until I get another stainless tank, it's what I do. Last year I ran concentrate into a separate 330 gallon IBC, but I wasn't comfortable with having that sweet in the plastic tank that long- a couple hours sometimes. I run the first pass with the permeate flow as high as I can get, usually 2.1-2.2 gpm, When I get half the water out, I switch the concentrate line over to the head tank and once I get 20 gallons in it, I open up the recirculation and crank the pressure until I get to .75 gpm concentrate and light the fire. My 2x6 gets 40 gph, so I'm puttin 45 gph in the tank and the first 20 gallon is a safety cushion. I may open up and flush for a few minutes even when putting concentrate in the head tank, I put a little less sweet concentrate in, but it really helps flush the sugar off the membrane. It's worth it in my book. Maybe this year I'll get a 3 way valve plumbed in and send the flush back to the bulk tank when I do this. Bottom line, I'm taking 75-80% of the water out, and with 1.5% sap to begin with it's a HUGE increase in efficiency. Both wood savings and time.

Get on MES- Maple Expert Solutions web page and find their document about establishing a base line. Once you rinse your membranes, when you run them the first time check your concentrate and permeate flow at 150 psi, write this down along with the temp of your sap. This is your baseline. After you run for a while and your membranes begin fouling, as your permeate and concentrate levels begin to drop at the same pressure, this tells you when you need to rinse/wash. And it can also tell you if your rinse/wash was successful.

Since I replied the other day I've found another pump, a Goulds multistage, 18 gpm with 3hp 1 phase motor. I have a few months, so I have time to decide which pump I'm goin to use. It's roughly the same price as a Procon 660 and a new motor and the adapter housing. but with 7 more gpm. If you go back through the the RO threads on here, and if you look at some of the commercially made RO units, several are using multi stage pumps. The multi stage pump also raises the temp of the sap making it pass through the membranes with slightly more efficiency. The multi stage also keeps your wash water warm. I plan on running the 4 membranes in two sets, so 2 in series parallel to the other 2 in series. My goal is to concentrate faster. I don't mind boiling for 4 hours, but some days I have to run the RO for 2-4 hours before I start boiling. With the way the squirrel population has been booming round here. I figure I can use that extra couple a hours in the woods maximizing sap flow.
    '12 15 jugs - Steam pans
    '17 125 3/16 - 18" x 72" drop flue on homemade arch
    '18 240 3/16 - Deer Run 125
    '19 450 3/16 - Converted RO to electric/added a membrane
    '20 600 3/16 - Maple Pro 2x6 Raised Flue, added AOF/AUF
    '21 570 3/16 - Built steam hood, Smoky Lake filter press
    '22 800 3/16 - Upgraded RO to 4 4x40
    '23 500 3/16 - Re-plumbed RO, new "Guzzler"
    '24 500 3/16 - Steam Away, DIY 8x40 RO

Wow great read bmb. I appreciate it all that.

I too have found the Goulds multi-stage pumps online. What I cant figure out is how to get the PSI output info. Even visiting their website I cannot find the specs I am looking for. But you are right, several large commercial units have these style pumps have them so I assume they are capable of achieving high PSI (with a price tag). Let me know if you had better luck finding those numbers

Paul Cerminara
    2019 - First season ever

Quick question for folks and sorry to get slightly off topic. Has anyone run the numbers both financially and efficiency wise on rather than going with several small posts (cheaper price individually and probably easier to replace when a mistake is made) or going with an 8 inch unit?

Paul Cerminara
    2019 - First season ever

I think the biggest thing is growth. Many including myself started with only a few taps and then grew into it. A small 4x40 is what was needed at the time but just doesn't cut it anymore. It's a hobby still and I can't afford 5-8000 for a commercially built unit. 2 extra posts on what I already have is only about $1000. Will it run as well? NO way. But it's more efficient for me to be still married next season vs. having a great commercial ro.

Cj, trust me Im in the same boat. I always joke about next seasons upgrades equaling just under what a divorce would cost haha!

I got a taste of concentrate this season from a local sugar maker and I could never go back to raw sap. I made almost as much in an 8 hour boil as I did the entire year. That was all the proof I needed. So I am on the hunts to build something that will ideally hit 8-12% even if that means two passes. I just want to do it safely and efficiently. I have no reason to go higher than that simply because my rig wont be configured correctly for much higher %

Paul Cerminara
    2019 - First season ever

What PSI are guys running the Gould pumps?
    2014 15 taps 1 gallon on a turkey burner
    2015 100 taps 10 gallons on a smokey lakes full pint
    2016 188 taps, full pint pan, and a home made RO system

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast