+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Convert wood fired evaporator to burn Used Veggie Oil

Default Convert wood fired evaporator to burn Used Veggie Oil

I've done it. Converted to burn pure, FREE, used vegetable oil. My heat is free. Easy to handle and burns clean. Read on if you are interested on the journey or want any ideas....I'm happy to share.

Hello everyone and Thank you all for the amazing information on this site. I finally had time to sit down and make myself a profile on MT after years of lurking and getting ideas. My biggest motivator for joining the site is the ability to reach out and ask members directly about some of their crazy inventions and share some off mine too.

It has come to my attention from a message by one of the nice moderators that some of the info that I posted on the welcome board would be best suited here. I have successfully converted my 2x8 D&G wood fired evaporator to burn either wood or Used Vegetable oil (UVO or WVO)

I am like most on here. Bought my dream property on the shores of a beautiful Northern Ontario lake that just happens to be filthy with sugar maples. Had to try it so bought myself 5 buckets and spigots and set my trap line. Boiled on the deck with a large turkey roaster and really enjoyed the whole process. But, my engineering mind knew I could do it better. That was 22 years ago. I've gone through every phase of my personal maple addiction journey and in 2016 bought a used, 80's vintage Dominion and Grimm 2x8 with 2007 welded pans. That was awesome but did it every chew through my wood!!!!

So last year we had a good year. 285 taps with 3/16 lines on natural sloped vacuum. Just shy of 300 litres (79 us gallons for my more southerly neighbours, (and yes thats how we spell "neighbour" up here)) of syrup in the bottles. Pump up the hill to the sugar shack, which is 40 feet from the house and 30 ft from the Garage. I have been considering an RO system to cut down on the wood consumption but held off for the last few years because of one major improvement to the rig. I converted my evaporator to run on pure, used vegetable oil. Thats right, used veggie oil. it has by far been the biggest and absolute most incredible cost saving, time saving and wood saving endeavour so far.

2017 was my last year of using pure wood. I was burning about a face cord a day and finishing between 6-8 gallons of syrup a day on a good day. It was hard work doing it mostly by myself. Kids help when they are not in school but it was stressful trying to keep up with the sap. It was full days of spitting my house heating wood down to 3-4 inch splits because thats how it burns the hottest. Loading the firebox every 7-10 minutes all day long. Stoke the right side, wait 7 minutes while splitting wood, stoke the left and repeat. There had to be a better way. I only had 150 taps that year.

So that year I started thinking. I had a 5 gallon jug of used veggie oil from various fish frys and doing a turkey. I started to research how to supplement my fire with the used veggie oil. Everything I tried failed. Drip into a stainless pan burner, dipping logs before stoking, mixing it with sawdust to make cakes. All failed.

My aha moment came in the depths of winter 2018 after returning from dropping off some scrap metal at the local recycling depot. They had one of the old, stainless steel fire extinguishers that had just been dropped off. It was about 3 gallons and designed to be pressurized with a standard valve stem and propel either water, foam or dry chemical. The guys at the depot gave it too me. Long story short, and after many many unsuccessful attempts to create a self sustaining and controllable flame, we finally got it.

In the simplest terms, the just gets filled with warm filtered oil. I plumbed the trigger mechanism to add compressed air into the tank to propel the oil and split the air intake off to rejoin the pressurized oil just before the spray nozzle. We used a needle valve for both the oil and air to make the mixture controllable. We made the nozzle into what we call a double Venturi ejector which basically mixes the oil/air mixture into a fine mist. We installed it into a 3 ft long, 2” pipe and ignighted it with a blow torch. It took many tries to get it to work. Eventually the flame lit and the pipe got hot enough to remove the blow torch and get the oil mixture flame to be self sustaining. Many adjustments to get the right spot for the ejector and the right mixture of oil and air. But it worked. By god did it work. It was so loud it sounded like a fleet of jets taking off. The Heat was so intense that it melted the nickel out of the galvanized pipe and it looked like a shiny coral when it hardened in the snow. So now I had to find a way to get this to work in the evaporator.

With a bit of playing, engineering and cursing, I modified the evaporator and got it to work. I had to put a double layer of firebricks in the burn chamber. Once I get the fire lit with my normal wood and get the stove hot, I can initiate the oil mixture. I have to start slowly and let the heat build to keep it balanced.

In 2018 I upped my taps to 200. I burned 70% less wood and my evaporation rate was 40% faster than with just wood. I went from stoking the fire every 7 minutes with finely split wood to adding normal home heating wood every hour and a quarter. Most importantly, my supply of used oil was free. The fire burns hot, clean, no soot, no smoke and burns to completion. There is no unburned oil leaking out the bottom. The exhaust does not smell like French fries and there is no off odour or taste to the syrup. Best part is, its biodegradable. If I happen to spill some on the ground, the dog is more than happy to come by and clean it up for me. I dump all the bits that I filter out of the oil in the garden and the chickens love to eat that up. The best part of the whole deal is that I get the oil for free. There are lots of people that use veggie oil in their diesels in the summer but can’t use it in the winter because it gels way to easy. The restaurants are happy to give it to me because it piles up on them in the winter.

2019 I changed the config of the burn chamber again and added some sort of a glow plug. It really just a metal structure with firebricks for a kind of plate that stays hot like a glow plug. I've found out that 1/2 inch plate steel burns out in a season so a 8x8" plate is a consumable part. I also upgraded to a pair of Cornelius pop canisters that many people use for brewing beer. So now I go out and light the fire in the morning like normal. Once the chamber is hot I introduce the oil/air mixture and away it goes. I get about 2.5 hours of burn time per tank. I Keep the second tank full and ready and warm. The changeover is just a matter of closing the compressed air valve, disconnecting the input and outlet couplers and swapping tanks. It takes less then a minute and away it goes again. The glow plate works so well that I have about a 15 minute window before It gets too cool to to light the oil. Im at the point where once I light my wood fire in the morning, I don’t have to add another stick of wood all day. All of last year I burned less than a face cord of wood for the whole season and made almost 80 gallons of beautiful syrup. I got so confident with the system that I can walk away for an hour at time and putter in my garage while the automatic sap feed and the continuous burn keep things going.

All my neighbours are fascinated by this system. A couple of my local hobby producers have come by to see it work and get some Ideas. I have been told to submit the design to either the Dragon’s Den show here in Canada or the copy cat version down in the states called the shark tank. Not really interested in that because it is to specific to each rig and there is no way I could get it certified for CSA compliance. So I am happy to share the Idea and design with my maple syrup fanatics and give back to the community as a whole.

This year alone I figure I saved 14 face cord of hardwood. Overall I think I have saved over 40 cord of wood since I converted to UVO.

Ive got some pics and videos on how its built and how to run it. I will have to figure out this forum first and get my kids to help me get the videos uploaded to youtube. The only thing I ask is please don’t get the oil from my restaurants. I burned 750 litres of used veggie oil last year.

Once again, thank you to everyone here on Maple Trader for the free flow of information and the amazing ideas that have been shared.

Justin.

Alaska (East Central Minnesota For Sugaring)

Very innovative. I'm impressed!

Very impressive! Nice work with the experimenting and optimizing. I can only see one thing wrong, and I bet I am not the only one on the Trader to notice it.

You made a very big mistake by publicly declaring the following:

"I got so confident with the system that I can walk away for an hour at time and putter in my garage while the automatic sap feed and the continuous burn keep things going."

​Statements like that can often circle around and bite you in the A$$ while you are puttering in the garage! Good luck, and don't wander too far while's running!
    John
    2x8 Smokylake drop flue with AOF/ AUF
    180 taps on sacks
    75 on 3/16 tubing with shurflo
    Eden Prairie, Minnesota

Amazing! Looking forward to more details and video.
    2015 - 8 buckets, 332L sap, 8.5L syrup - Barrel evaporator, 2 steam pans
    2016 - 8 buckets, 432L sap
    2017 - 10 bags, 470L sap, 9L syrup
    2018 - 20 bags, 1050L sap, 17.6L syrup
    2019 - 20 bags, 970L sap, 22.2L syrup
    2020 - 17 bags, 813L sap, 17L syrup

That's awesome, I think we all forward to seeing more info on it.
    305 taps on 2 Shurflo's, 31 taps on 3/16" and 229 taps on gravity. 565 in all
    Mountain Maple S3 controller for 145 of the vacuum taps
    2x6 Darveau Mystique Oil Fired Evaporator w/ Smoky Lake Simplicity Auto Draw
    Wesfab 7” filter press

Quote"

You made a very big mistake by publicly declaring the following:

"I got so confident with the system that I can walk away for an hour at time and putter in my garage while the automatic sap feed and the continuous burn keep things going."

​Statements like that can often circle around and bite you in the A$$ while you are puttering in the garage! Good luck, and don't wander too far while's running!"

Oh I hear you loud and clear. Made that mistake many times finishing syrup and setting bottles or even kids distracting me while in the shack. Ive had finished syrup boil over standing 5 ft away and distracted for a second.

Once I've switched over to veggie power, the stove makes a very discernible rumbling noise. Like a big ol 747 waiting for take off. I can hear and detect any minor changes to the burn rate. Ive gotten to the point that it almost speaks to me. The good thing is, once the oil air mixture is set and running smoothly, it can not run up and out of control. On a very rare occasion, a small bit of fryer debris has slipped past the filter and will block or partially block the injector ports causing it to run down in temperature or flame out. I really only need to throw a few chunks of wood in at that point to keep the heat and figure out the problem. Most times the heat in the stove burns up the little piece of debris and a shot of air only pressure will clear it. Once I had to pull the nozzles and clean it out with a piece of wire.

The good news is it is a 40' straight shot from the garage to the sugar shack and I can see the stove from the workbench window and certainly hear it with the big doors open.

Does it still sound like a bunch of jet airplanes?
    2015 - 8 buckets, 332L sap, 8.5L syrup - Barrel evaporator, 2 steam pans
    2016 - 8 buckets, 432L sap
    2017 - 10 bags, 470L sap, 9L syrup
    2018 - 20 bags, 1050L sap, 17.6L syrup
    2019 - 20 bags, 970L sap, 22.2L syrup
    2020 - 17 bags, 813L sap, 17L syrup

Oh God, I must be missing the maple season already. Its a miserable day and No sap to boil so I have learned how to use youtube and posted my first video. This was made in spring 2018 and I was using about 30% wood and supplementing with veggie oil.
    initially in the video it is at a normal boil with a small amount of wood. Once the veggie oil is added, you can certainly hear the air being ripped apart with the burning of the oil and see the dramatic increase in boil rate. Sorry about the quality of the video, I will make a better one for this year in the new shack and better lighting, and will also try to describe and show some of the parts.
    Here it is. Don't know how to make it a proper link so you may have to copy and paste.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifuv...ature=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifuv...ature=youtu.be

wish me luck on my first ever youtube video.

Here is an update on the conversion of my 2x8 D&G. Been asked to provide some more details on the build. The original video that I posted shows the prototype version using a 2 gallon SS fire extinguisher. I will provide an update with the newest version that is using Cornelious kegs. Need to dig out the sugar shack from the mountains of snow we have.
    But for now I have the mixing set up that can be hooked up to any pressure vessel that is rated to at least 100psi and is easy to fill with filtered used veggie oil. This will be my 4th year running on pure veggie oil. I figure im saving at least 1000$ a year on just the wood consumption. Not to mention the amount of work that it has reduced. I manage 325 taps alone.

Here is the guts of the system.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMc5...ature=youtu.be

That's a neat setup, making use of recycling oil. I am starting my first year with 12 to 15 taps. Not anywhere near the need for your scale.
    2021 - Year one. 15 taps using 5/16" and drop tube into buckets. Homemade barrel evaporator with 2 steam trays. 4.7L syrup.
    2022. 32 taps. Added AUF.
    2023. 51 taps. Ditched the steam pans for an 18x22 flat pan.
    2024. 56 taps. Built a proper evaporator to fit the 18x22 flat pan and 1 steam pan.

+ Reply to Thread