+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: CDL 600gph expandable concentrate %

I had it slow down a little when I ran 6,200 gals of sap though it in 12 hrs.The MES membranes are great and I highly recommend them. I did one 15 minute rinse late in the season. Had 3,000 gals of sap some people might have dumped. But made some zero syrup that the hippies love.

Quote Originally Posted by calvertbrothers View Post
    Perfect! What would be the flow rate of the concentrate? I’m boil on a 2x6 now but I am jumping to a 4x12 evaporator not this coming up season but the following season. I figure I would need a 3.5gpm for the 4x12 evaporator. And I want to be at 16+%
    what mountainvan said. crank it down. i even run at .5gpm and crank the pressure to 475. youll have to rinse after 6 hours maybe but with 2 towers youll be done anyways
    Fred Ahrens
    330-206-1606
    Richards Ohio Maple Equipment
    Ohio CDL sales rep
    LaPierre Dealer
    H&M maple fabricator Dealer
    Service Tech/repair for all brands and electronics

don't take life too serious, nobody gets out alive anyways!

Calvert not trying to Jack the thread so forgive me, is it possible to get these high of a % with a smaller size RO/pumps/membranes but have the system built to with stand the higher pressures needed to get the %? Like not have the amount of flow (smaller producers like myself) be less because we dont need to process as much quantities but still come out with 12-15% or higher if specd correctly for PSI? Im talking in the 3-500 gallon per session range of raw sap

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mead Maple "It's for the kids..."
    Paul Cerminara
    2019 - First season ever
    -Goal: 3 gallons
    -Season Total: 7.5 gallons - pulled taps after running out of firewood and time
    Built 2'x8' Oil Fired with Thor drop flue pans
    -Goal: 20 gallons
    -Season Total: 55 gallons

You have to use bigger pumps and a recirculation pump also. Then change lines. Without them you cant get above 10%. Anything in between will plug the membranes faster.
    Fred Ahrens
    330-206-1606
    Ohio CDL sales rep
    LaPierre Dealer

Fred knows a lot more about ro’s than I do but for your size you’re looking at the same thing I am. After researching, not all hobby or small ro’s are created equal. Lapierre makes small 125 and 250 turbos with the big boy pumps. A CDL 250 hobby RO will pale in comparison but is priced accordingly. I’d look at MES. Unless I find a good used deal in the next year or two that’s probably what I’ll go with.
    305 taps on 2 Shurflo's, 31 taps on 3/16" and 229 taps on gravity. 565 in all
    Mountain Maple S3 controller for 145 of the vacuum taps
    2x6 Darveau Mystique Oil Fired Evaporator w/ Smoky Lake Simplicity Auto Draw
    Wesfab 7” filter press

Quote Originally Posted by Mead Maple View Post
    Calvert not trying to Jack the thread so forgive me, is it possible to get these high of a % with a smaller size RO/pumps/membranes but have the system built to with stand the higher pressures needed to get the %? Like not have the amount of flow (smaller producers like myself) be less because we dont need to process as much quantities but still come out with 12-15% or higher if specd correctly for PSI? Im talking in the 3-500 gallon per session range of raw sap

A smaller professional RO like my Lapierre 250 Turbo will do 13% +/- in a single pass. I set the concentrate to .5 gpm and the high pressure 400 psi. It would cost as much or more to build an RO yourself as it would to buy a good used one like mine.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

For what it's worth - we run our 2 post cdl 1200 at 430 to 450 psi with a concentrate output of around 2 gpm. The sugar comes up to around 10% in the initial pass. We recirculate to the raw sap tank until output comes up to around 15% then we divert output to the concentrate tank. Our thinking is that running at a more moderate output puts less load on the entire RO (pumps, membranes, etc.), and hopefully the system will run longer and more trouble free. Of course we've got a fairly big RO for 1050 taps so we can.

So in my mind, the question is whether calvertbrothers should push the upgraded RO to the max or use the capacity to run at more moderate output.
    Last edited by TapTapTap; 04-17-2020 at 06:51 AM.
    Ken & Sherry
    Williston, VT
    16x34 Sugarhouse
    1,500 taps on high vacuum, Electric Releaser & CDL Sap Lifter
    Wood-Fired Leader 30"x10' Vortex Arch & Max Raised Flue with Rev Syrup Pan & CDL1200 RO
    https://www.facebook.com/pumpkinhillmaple/

thats true ken. its a toss up and i dont have that answer whether its better to run more concentrate and less hours or more running hours and faster flow?

but i know the membranes are cheaper than pumps
    Fred Ahrens
    330-206-1606
    Ohio CDL sales rep
    LaPierre Dealer

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Lampron View Post
    A smaller professional RO like my Lapierre 250 Turbo will do 13% +/- in a single pass. I set the concentrate to .5 gpm and the high pressure 400 psi. It would cost as much or more to build an RO yourself as it would to buy a good used one like mine.
    Thats a great call Russell. Definitely have to weigh out all the options. What are you normally sending to the rig for %? Just the first pass of 13%?

Mead Maple "It's for the kids..."
    Paul Cerminara
    2019 - First season ever
    -Goal: 3 gallons
    -Season Total: 7.5 gallons - pulled taps after running out of firewood and time
    Built 2'x8' Oil Fired with Thor drop flue pans
    -Goal: 20 gallons
    -Season Total: 55 gallons

Quote Originally Posted by Mead Maple View Post
    Thats a great call Russell. Definitely have to weigh out all the options. What are you normally sending to the rig for %? Just the first pass of 13%?

The raw sap when I got those numbers was 1.4%. I only single pass like that when I've got a small amount of sap to add to a larger amount that I've already sweetened.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast