+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: CDL 600gph expandable concentrate %

Quote Originally Posted by fred View Post
    thats true ken. its a toss up and i dont have that answer whether its better to run more concentrate and less hours or more running hours and faster flow?

but i know the membranes are cheaper than pumps
    For me time is valuable. One pass Is better for me. I run my operation off a 30kw diesel generator. I burn through 6 gallons of fuel every ro/boiling section. I’m adding more taps and if my math is correct if I add another membrane I’ll only Have to ro and boil at the same time for 4 hours instead of 6 hours with less taps.😁 cutting down on fuel overhead. Every time I clean the ro it takes 4 hours and 4 gallons of fuel. Will be moving sugar near the road in a few years with electric!
    2019:250 gallons
    2020:324 gallons
    2021:?

The biggest consideration when concentrating at higher brix like this is pre planning your evaporation. You have to r/o for several hours before starting the evaporator or you'll catch up with the .5 gpm concentrate flow very fast. I could pump 30 gallons an hour of concentrate to my head tank for 4 hours and run my evaporator for an hour and be out of concentrate.

[QUOTE=fred;384904]thats true ken. its a toss up and i dont have that answer whether its better to run more concentrate and less hours or more running hours and faster flow?
    /QUOTE]

I assume there's some increase in production by squeezing the sap harder but it may not be that great since output drops so fast. I'll need to chek it next year and compare output to concentration. My sense is that it's somewhat tied to how hard the pump works with some correction for efficiency. So looking from the power side, if I'm working the pump at 85% load then i can only gain that last 15% on the schedule.

Hmmm. Maybe I'll put an amp meter on the system for next year.
    Ken & Sherry
    Williston, VT
    16x34 Sugarhouse
    1,500 taps on high vacuum, Electric Releaser & CDL Sap Lifter
    Wood-Fired Leader 30"x10' Vortex Arch & Max Raised Flue with Rev Syrup Pan & CDL1200 RO
    https://www.facebook.com/pumpkinhillmaple/

[QUOTE=TapTapTap;385003]
    Quote Originally Posted by fred View Post
    thats true ken. its a toss up and i dont have that answer whether its better to run more concentrate and less hours or more running hours and faster flow?
    /QUOTE]

I assume there's some increase in production by squeezing the sap harder but it may not be that great since output drops so fast. I'll need to chek it next year and compare output to concentration. My sense is that it's somewhat tied to how hard the pump works with some correction for efficiency. So looking from the power side, if I'm working the pump at 85% load then i can only gain that last 15% on the schedule.

Hmmm. Maybe I'll put an amp meter on the system for next year.
    If this help we have looked into this a little. And we have drawn more amps at 300 to 350 psi then running at 400 to 425 psi on the membrane. Idk what it will be if we start running at 450 to 475 psi. I thought when I first got the ro if I ran lower pressure on the membrane it would be better for it. But in all reality I was hurting the pump. I rather buy a $600 membrane and a high pressure pump.
    2019:250 gallons
    2020:324 gallons
    2021:?

gallons per hour processed will go down the more you concentrate.
    Fred Ahrens
    330-206-1606
    Richards Ohio Maple Equipment
    Ohio CDL sales rep
    LaPierre Dealer
    H&M maple fabricator Dealer
    Service Tech/repair for all brands and electronics

don't take life too serious, nobody gets out alive anyways!

[QUOTE=calvertbrothers;385021][QUOTE=TapTapTap;385003]
    And we have drawn more amps at 300 to 350 psi then running at 400 to 425 psi on the membrane. Idk what it will be if we start running at 450 to 475 psi.

With centrifugal pumps the higher the pressure the less power they use. More flow at low pressure equals higher amps, higher pressure at low flow equals lower amps. If you are running a pump at some point on the pump curve it will not hurt it. The worst thing we do to our RO pumps is rinsing at low pressure. That is if the high pressure pumps run during the rinse on the machine.
    2.5X10 HE
    600 RO
    Vac

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123