+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What happened to my batch?

Alaska (East Central Minnesota For Sugaring)

Worth a read: https://www.uvm.edu/sites/default/fi...yrupDigest.pdf

We like to filter at about 200 degrees. In fact, many places recommend filtering finished syrup right off the evaporator, which would be even hotter.

I think there's merit in the theory that no portion of reheated syrup should get hotter than the temperature at which it was filtered. It's important to reheat filtered syrup slowly, so hotspots aren't created on the bottom. Syrup shouldn't be reheated past 190 or so, certainly not past 195.

Nowadays, we filter very hot and bottle before it cools off, between 185 and 190. That way we aren't dealing with reheating issues at all.

Quote Originally Posted by buck3m View Post
    Worth a read: https://www.uvm.edu/sites/default/fi...yrupDigest.pdf

We like to filter at about 200 degrees. In fact, many places recommend filtering finished syrup right off the evaporator, which would be even hotter.
    I think that might depend on how you are drawing off into the filter. I've read that niter can form after filtering if the syrup is still over 200 after if filters through.

If you are drawing off from a continuous flow pan where you draw off slowly into a filter, I think the stream would have time to cool off enough so that it's below 200 once filtered? Maybe not, but at a minimum if you are pouring your entire batch of 4-5 gallons in at a time, it has a greater chance of retaining more heat due to volume, and then potentially making more niter even after it's filters..

At least that's my understanding..
    2020 -30 trees 32 taps. ~900 L sap; 27.1L Syrup.
    2019 -27 trees 31 taps. ~725 L sap; 22.2L Syrup.
    2018 -19 Trees 20 taps. ~750 L sap; 18 L Syrup
    2017 -4 trees 4 taps. ~60 L sap; 1.5 L Syrup

I thought that you were supposed to read a hydrometer at 211 degrees. If that hydrometer is to be read at 211 and you took it to 222 when reading, using the chart in the North American Maple Produced Manual, your syrup is at 71% to 73.5% sugar if boiling point was 212 degrees that day and would be the reason for the sugar.
    Last edited by minehart gap; 04-17-2020 at 07:49 PM.
    Matt,
    Minehart Gap Maple

Alaska (East Central Minnesota For Sugaring)

Quote Originally Posted by paulslund View Post
    I think that might depend on how you are drawing off into the filter. I've read that niter can form after filtering if the syrup is still over 200 after if filters through.

If you are drawing off from a continuous flow pan where you draw off slowly into a filter, I think the stream would have time to cool off enough so that it's below 200 once filtered? Maybe not, but at a minimum if you are pouring your entire batch of 4-5 gallons in at a time, it has a greater chance of retaining more heat due to volume, and then potentially making more niter even after it's filters..

At least that's my understanding..
    I think new niter can form if more water evaporates, or if syrup is reheated past the temp where it was filtered, or about 195, whichever is lower, or reheated so there are hot spots. Otherwise, I think it can be filtered nearly boiling hot. I'm basing that on these guys and my own experience. http://mapletrader.com/community/sho...tering-too-hot

Here's what Cornell says. They are talking about reheating and bottling: "The syrup should then be heated between 180-200 degrees and poured into a clean container. If you go over 200 degrees, then you will start to form niter (sugar sand) and the syrup must be re-filtered again." https://s3.amazonaws.com/assets.cce....pdf?1490125771

Always learning new stuff myself of course. I'm interested on what others have to say.
    Last edited by buck3m; 04-19-2020 at 09:12 PM.

I did another batch this weekend with the same niter results. Same filtering - once with cone filter and 2 pre filters before moved inside to stove, and then again once proper sugar level was reached with the hydrometer and temp was brought down to ~183. Insane amounts of niter - like never seen anything like it. Most of the sap that was boiled was between 2.3-2.8%, with a few buckets even north of 3%.

I know someone mentioned others around the country are experiencing large levels of niter this year. I tried searching a few different forums for threads with more info on this. Can someone please link me to a thread with more info on the high levels of niter this year?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12