+ Reply to Thread

Thread: tree size

Default tree size

On our woodlot we only tapped trees that were bigger than 10 inches at breast height. We used bags this year. Our wood lot was poorly managed and we have many trees at 9 inches, that are 40 foot tall. Should we tap these taller, less than 10 inch, trees? Or, just be patient and let them come up to size.

Many start at 8", thus 9 should be OK. Be sure to use 5/16 taps
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

If your 20 years old then just tap trees 10 inch or larger. If your 30 years old drop down to 9 inch. I’m 55 years old so a 6.5 inch tree looks pretty good . Organic says 9 inch. I tap a bunch of smaller trees and do very well. If I had a woods of nothing but 7-8 inch trees I would tap them all. Others would not.

Spud

i tap a handful of trees that are 9" give or take. i tend to look for how healthy the crown of the tree is, or the tree is in general. i've found that a smaller tree with a good crown heals the wound much faster than a larger tree does... with the studies showing not much of a loss in yield taping below the lateral, i don't pass up a healthy 9" tree if it's in line with other trees being tapped.
    Awfully thankful for an understanding wife!

“The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.”
    - Vincent “Vince” Lombardi

Good luck to all!

Where are people taking their measurements at, I've always used DBH, diameter at breast height, when measuring any tree?
    I have a little over 200 trees greater than 10 inches DBH, and another 80 that are 8 to 10 inches DBH, that I check every couple years.

Sent from my LM-Q710.FG using Tapatalk
    2013 15 Homemade Taps, Milk Jugs, Turkey Fryer, 3 Gallons Syrup
    2014 Finishing my college degree, looked longingly at the Maples all spring
    2015 26 1/2 Real taps, Milk Jugs, Homemade 20x25 pan on propane, 5+ Gallons Syrup
    2016 50 Taps, Milk Jugs, Homemade 25x48 pan on propane block arch, 8 1/2 Gallons Syrup
    2020 80 Taps, Milk Jugs, 25x48 pan on propane block arch w/preheater, 10 gallons syrup

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Quote Originally Posted by emti View Post
    Our wood lot was poorly managed and we have many trees at 9 inches, that are 40 foot tall. Should we tap these taller, less than 10 inch, trees? Or, just be patient and let them come up to size.
    My first reaction to this is...has it been managed (thinned) recently? That would be the first step. Assuming the answer is "yes", then tapping 9" and up is probably OK. Tapping those that are smaller that you (honestly) intend to thin out within 10-15 yrs is also acceptable. If you haven't thinned and don't intend to thin, then the growth rates will be very low in this stand, so you'll find that after 10-20 yrs of tapping you might be hitting a good amount of stained wood.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Quote Originally Posted by DuncanFTGC/SS View Post
    Where are people taking their measurements at, I've always used DBH, diameter at breast height, when measuring any tree?
    Standard measurements of tree size are taken at DBH, diameter breast height. This is 4.5' above the ground on the uphill side of the tree. Generally taken with a tape calibrated to directly read diameter or with a Biltmore stick.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

I'm one of those guys that taps 8" trees. I also tap mostly red maples and consider clusters of trees that grow out of one root ball to be culls. In a cluster like that if one or two trees are 8" or larger anything 4" and larger will get a tap. I use 5/16" taps and high vacuum. My syrup per tap is usually around a qt per tap. If I was going for a higher spt number I would only tap the larger trees.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

Thank you for the replies. The wood lot definitely needs thinning, we are working with the NYSDEC on our forestry plan. This would release the better maples. Many of the trees have damaged, small crowns and rot at the top from the ice storms. It sounds like if it is 9 inches, (or even smaller?) and destined to be firewood its o.k. to tap? Ill take a look at some of the wood we just cut to see what the growth rate over the last 10 years looks like. Thanks emti

Quote Originally Posted by emti View Post
    It sounds like if it is 9 inches, (or even smaller?) and destined to be firewood its o.k. to tap?
    Absolutely! If it's destined for the wood pile get as much sap out of it as you can before you cut it down.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

+ Reply to Thread