+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Disposable Taps Leaking

I have to agree with Fred on this one. Your analogy comparing a tire to your leaking taps is no where near the same. Brand new tire leaking, they give you a new one. Defective taps, they give you new ones. You can't prove how much production you lost so how can you expect them to compensate you for it?
    First introduced to making maple syrup in 1969
    Making syrup every year since 1979
    3 x 10 oil fired
    Revolution syrup and max flue pan
    Almost 1300 taps total with 900 on high vacuum
    Bought first Marcland drawoff in 1997, still going strong.

Quote Originally Posted by bill m View Post
    I have to agree with Fred on this one. Your analogy comparing a tire to your leaking taps is no where near the same. Brand new tire leaking, they give you a new one. Defective taps, they give you new ones. You can't prove how much production you lost so how can you expect them to compensate you for it?
    Agreed. It's not the same and I stated that. I was more after the "I didn't visit the woods to fix it" part. One guy running 3300 taps and cooking for 6000 on top of a full time job. I don't have a "crew" to go fix faulty product and visit every tap hole.

What would you expect if you were in my position?

New taps. It's on me to maintain my tubing system. If I had found a problem with defective taps in the first few days of the season I would have notified the supplier then went out and checked all the other taps. Do I have the time or a crew to do this for me - no but I would have either found the time or accepted the potential loss.
    First introduced to making maple syrup in 1969
    Making syrup every year since 1979
    3 x 10 oil fired
    Revolution syrup and max flue pan
    Almost 1300 taps total with 900 on high vacuum
    Bought first Marcland drawoff in 1997, still going strong.

Quote Originally Posted by bill m View Post
    New taps. It's on me to maintain my tubing system. If I had found a problem with defective taps in the first few days of the season I would have notified the supplier then went out and checked all the other taps. Do I have the time or a crew to do this for me - no but I would have either found the time or accepted the potential loss.
    Easier said than done. The best time I had to look was when the trees were froze up. I did find around 10 or so when I looked that day. The problem with finding them was if the trees were running good it wouldn't hiss, just bubbles about twice as fast as normal tree gas.

I am accepting the loss but hope for a decent resolution from this company. I wonder how many more are out there and people never looked or knew how to find them.

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Any update on how this turned out?
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

Quote Originally Posted by DrTimPerkins View Post
    Any update on how this turned out?
    Still working out the details. I am sure it will not be fully figured out until after the spring sales wrap up and that is understandable. I will be sure to update on here when this all gets sorted out.

Finally came to a resolution on this. I was given 25% off my order of new taps. Better than nothing but I still wish the initial response to my issue would have been handled a little different.

The die that each one of the leaking taps was made on was the culprit. Each one of the leakers had a specific number molded in them to be able to identify them by or so I was told. That being said in the time period these were produced this style of tap had a 3.125% leak rate. I am sure many of them went unchecked or thought to be tree gas.

Quote Originally Posted by One tap short View Post
    The die that each one of the leaking taps was made on was the culprit.
    Which is exactly why the different cavities in a mold are numbered. Glad it got figured out.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

Another year, more leaking taps. Let's just say I am done with this brand of thin-walled tap for the same price junk. Different place on the tap and different mold number leaking this time around. I guess they didn't fix the issue after all.

Quote Originally Posted by One tap short View Post
    I guess they didn't fix the issue after all.
    They may have fixed the one cavity, or adjusted the molding machine settings. However changing the parameters may have helped that one spot, but created issues with others. Molding plastic isn't as straight-forward as it seems, and with the thin-walled spouts there is little margin for error.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast