+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Disposable Taps Leaking

Default Disposable Taps Leaking

Has anyone had any issues with their taps leaking vacuum from pin holes this year?

in the tap hole or in the spout? what brand?
    Fred Ahrens
    330-206-1606
    Richards Ohio Maple Equipment
    Ohio CDL sales rep
    LaPierre Dealer
    H&M maple fabricator Dealer
    Service Tech/repair for all brands and electronics

don't take life too serious, nobody gets out alive anyways!

The pin holes would be in the taps.

No issues. We used about 900 Lapierre clear disposable spout adapters, 300 clear CV2 adapters and the rest the original CV's.
    4,600 Taps on vacuum
    9,400 gallons storage
    3 tower CDL RO
    3.5'x14' Lapierre Force 5
    Twitter & Instagram: @ennismaple
    www.ennismaple.com

So obviously I have this issue otherwise I wouldn't bring it up. The company said they are going to make it right. (Not completely sure what that all means). This was on a 3000 tap woods and I found some throughout the season. I have not pulled all the taps or tested them as of yet so I do not know exactly how many there are. What would you expect this company to do in order to "make it right"?

I'm assuming these were thin wall spouts? They would be more prone to leaks. Are we talking micro-leaks or obvious hissing under vacuum?

I'd be asking them to make up for the lost production - but I'm guessing they will try to satisfy you with a few bags of new spouts you can use next season.
    4,600 Taps on vacuum
    9,400 gallons storage
    3 tower CDL RO
    3.5'x14' Lapierre Force 5
    Twitter & Instagram: @ennismaple
    www.ennismaple.com

I had the same issue this year, maybe 50-100 of 10000 we used had a pinhole in a specific area, luckily we learned to recognize it before having 100 leaks in the woods. Have not talked to the manufacturer yet but I'm pretty sure they'll make it right as they always have with other issues in the past, still frustrating though. PM me if you'd like
    Nova Maple Syrup
    22,000 Taps in Northwestern Pennsylvania
    http://novamaple.com

Some were made in 2 pieces and melted together. Most are made in one step with no seam.

I would assume they will give you 3000 new ones. Theres no warranty out there that they would pay for what you didnt make. They'll just chalk that up as you didnt visit the woods and fix the problems
    Fred Ahrens
    330-206-1606
    Richards Ohio Maple Equipment
    Ohio CDL sales rep
    LaPierre Dealer
    H&M maple fabricator Dealer
    Service Tech/repair for all brands and electronics

don't take life too serious, nobody gets out alive anyways!

They are all leaking in one location on the taps. Both sides of the taps have the material voids but from the ones I found during season they all leaked only out of one spot. How I actually found most of these was by using my Smartrek monitoring system to its' full potential. I was noticing on the first couple days of the season than one mainline in particular was shutting down (loosing vacuum) earlier than the others right next to it. It also had around an inch of vacuum level differential from the others but it is a low slope line so I figured it may be due to sap surging in the low grade areas. The next day I went searching for what I thought was going to be a critter chew but found taps that actually had sap backed all the way up to the tap hole and a "sapsicle" running right down the dropline! I found around 5 on this mainline alone which after I fixed them the vacuum levels were near where the other main lines were running and the mainline did not freeze up like it had been before I replaced those taps.
    To be clear, you can hear them hiss under vacuum or if you plug one side and blow into them. One of them I literally can stick a pin into the hole.
    I have pictures and videos of everything to back this up so when this all gets settled I will post them.

Quote Originally Posted by fred View Post
    Some were made in 2 pieces and melted together. Most are made in one step with no seam.

I would assume they will give you 3000 new ones. Theres no warranty out there that they would pay for what you didnt make. They'll just chalk that up as you didnt visit the woods and fix the problems
    I sure hope they don't take that approach. I fixed what I could myself but really don't have the time to visit every tap throughout the season. Your last statement would be the same as buying a brand new tire that leaks and because I didn't keep putting air in it I am at fault? (Not exactly the same but you get the picture.) I expect quality and depend on these big name maple companies just like every one else does.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast