+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Shelf life of syrup at room temperature

Default Shelf life of syrup at room temperature

Just got an email from a customer that purchased quite a bit of gift size syrup containers before the pandemic hit,he is curious about shelf life in their office at room temperature. I personally think it should be okay as long as it isn’t in sunlight. Hot packed in glass bottles,40 ml to 100 ml. Thoughts? Thanks
    7th generation maple producer in sugarhouse built in 1892
    2x World Champion Maple Syrup Producer
    1250 taps on cv adapters
    Leader Vortex 3x14 with Max Flue and Revolution Syrup Pan,Enhanced Steam Away
    www.leggettmaplesyrup.com

i have nips and sample bottles from before i was born. im 46................
    Fred Ahrens
    330-206-1606
    Richards Ohio Maple Equipment
    Ohio CDL sales rep
    LaPierre Dealer
    H&M maple fabricator Dealer
    Service Tech/repair for all brands and electronics

don't take life too serious, nobody gets out alive anyways!

As long as it's not in direct sunlight it will still be good until well after the pandemic is over.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

I have syrup packed in glass from 2004-5, still good. In plastic it would only be OK for about 7-8 mos, glass lasts a real long time.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Quote Originally Posted by maple flats View Post
    I have syrup packed in glass from 2004-5, still good. In plastic it would only be OK for about 7-8 mos, glass lasts a real long time.
    I cracked open a plastic jug last weekend that was 4 years old and it was fine.
    305 taps on 2 Shurflo's, 31 taps on 3/16" and 229 taps on gravity. 565 in all
    Mountain Maple S3 controller for 145 of the vacuum taps
    2x6 Darveau Mystique Oil Fired Evaporator w/ Smoky Lake Simplicity Auto Draw
    Wesfab 7” filter press

Quote Originally Posted by maple flats View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mainebackswoodssyrup View Post
    I cracked open a plastic jug last weekend that was 4 years old and it was fine.
    Last year I removed some plastic jugs of golden from my shelves that was almost 4 years old and repacked it in a drum to bring to Bruce. Every one of them tasted as good as it did the day that it was packed.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Maple syrup from commercial packers typically is stamped with a shelf life of 18 or 24 months regardless of the type of container it is packed in. Realistically, there is little change in flavor while in a sealed plastic or glass container. In plastic jugs the syrup will darken (slowly in coated jugs, much faster in uncoated jugs) due to oxygen permeation through the plastic. In metal (depending on the construction, presence or absence of an internal coating), syrup can take on a metallic taste over a prolonged period of time, but color tends to be stable.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

+ Reply to Thread