+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Surge Alamo 30 electric motor HP

Default Surge Alamo 30 electric motor HP

Anybody know what size electric motor is used on the Alamo 30 pumps.
    I was able to find the RPM specs for the Pump. ( 765 rpm) But not the HP needed.
    I would assume at least 1.5 hP but just wanted to make sure.
    Trying to get this pump set up as my spare pump for next year.
    600 taps on vacuum
    Lapierre mechanical Releaser
    CDL electric releaser
    2.5 x 10 CDL Venturi ( new for the 2024 season )
    Home made modulating auto draw off
    Homemade RO 2 x 4" membranes
    CDL 16 x 16 bottler
    Wesfab 7" filter press
    Delaval 73 vacuum pumps

12 hives of bees

I'm not sure, I ran one on a 6.5 HP Honda for several years at about 1/2 throttle or slightly less, it had no issue.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Is a 30 rated at 30 CFM ? I wouldn't be at all surprised if that 1.5 hp would be more than enough your going to need pulleys probably 2 to 1 slow it down ?
    Nate Hutchins
    Nate & Kate's Maple
    2022 1000 taps?
    3x10 Intensofire
    20x36 sugarhouse
    CDL 600gph RO
    A wife and 2 kids.

Don’t think it’s 30 CFM. 30 was the head it could handle as a dairy pump. Don’t quote me on that though.
    765 RPM is the pump specs I have that. So it will be 2:1 or less with a 1725 motor.
    600 taps on vacuum
    CDL electric releaser
    CDL 16 x 16 bottler
    Wesfab 7" filter press
    Delaval 73 vacuum pumps

12 hives of bees

Years ago I bought an Alamo 30 (well I'm almost certain it's a 30) and the motor that came on it, which was also an Alamo brand motor, is 1.65 H.P. The R.P.M. is 1725 and it has a 4.5" diameter pulley on it.

Steve
    2014 Upgrades!: 24x40 sugarhouse & 30"x10' Lapierre welded pans, wood fired w/ forced draft, homemade hood & preheater
    400 taps- half on gravity 5/16, half on gravity 3/16
    Airablo R.O. machine - in the house basement!
    Ford F-350 4x4 sap gatherer
    An assortment of barrels, cage tanks & bulk tanks- with one operational for cooling/holding concentrate
    And a few puzzled neighbors...

http://s606.photobucket.com/albums/t...uckethead1920/

I’m running a surge Alamo 30 right now with a 6.5 hp Honda motor. It came with a 1.5 hp electric motor when I bought it. If I remember correctly the pump is 15 cfm’s. I believe you could purchase various models of this pump from surge but it was the the same pump with different sized motors and pulleys and different rpm’s which would give it varying capacity.

I’ve been running mine for 4 seasons now and it’s been very reliable on the Honda engine at 1/2 throttled. Consistently pulls 23-24” at the releaser. Get another set of those de lavel adjustable oilers and flood the pump. I can send you pics of my setup if your interested.
    Last edited by Clinkis; 04-12-2020 at 09:52 PM.
    Maple Rock Farm
    www.Maplerockfarm.ca
    400 taps on Vacuum
    18”x60” Lapierre propane evaporator with Smokey Lake auto draw off
    Homemade 3 post RO with MES membranes
    Ford TS110 tractor sap hauler

Quote Originally Posted by Clinkis View Post
    I’m running a surge Alamo 30 right now with a 6.5 hp Honda motor. It came with a 1.5 hp electric motor when I bought it. If I remember correctly the pump is 15 cfm’s. I believe you could purchase various models of this pump from surge but it was the the same pump with different sized motors and pulleys and different rpm’s which would give it varying capacity.

I’ve been running mine for 4 seasons now and it’s been very reliable on the Honda engine at 1/2 throttled. Consistently pulls 23-24” at the releaser. Get another set of those de lavel adjustable oilers and flood the pump. I can send you pics of my setup if your interested.
    I rebuilt this pump a couple years ago and upgraded the oilers. And added a flood oiler, oil filter to reclaimer and copper oil lines, honed the pump body replaced a bearing. Pump is ready to go. Just gotta get the right electric motor.
    I'll try the 1.5 hp I have. See how that goes. Worst case I have to go to a 2hp.
    600 taps on vacuum
    CDL electric releaser
    CDL 16 x 16 bottler
    Wesfab 7" filter press
    Delaval 73 vacuum pumps

12 hives of bees

Sounds almost identical to what I did to mineC69AE8D6-B76E-43CE-9CAF-C76EBA31A03B.jpg
    Maple Rock Farm
    www.Maplerockfarm.ca
    400 taps on Vacuum
    18”x60” Lapierre propane evaporator with Smokey Lake auto draw off
    Homemade 3 post RO with MES membranes
    Ford TS110 tractor sap hauler

The numbers on Alamo pumps are the number of cows it would handle in a normal dairy. Not the CFM nor the numbers of milkers it could run at once. I don't know how many milkers a typical 30 cow farm had, maybe 2 or 3 is my guess. The larger pump by Alamo was actually called a 50, 75, 100+ and the difference was the motor and the RPM. They also had a 40 but I suspect that may have been a 30 run at higher RPM (and a larger HP motor.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Quote Originally Posted by Clinkis View Post
    Sounds almost identical to what I did to mineAttachment 21397
    Yes. Almost exact.
    I put longer copper lines on mine and bent them upwards so they were higher then the oil level in the reclaimer. Had oil draining into pump with them lower.
    But same setup basically.
    600 taps on vacuum
    CDL electric releaser
    CDL 16 x 16 bottler
    Wesfab 7" filter press
    Delaval 73 vacuum pumps

12 hives of bees

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast