+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Metal containers?

Default Metal containers?

We are trying to move away from using plastic containers and have been experimenting with different options. One option I'm considering is using metal containers. I used them many years ago but moved away from them. One of the reasons was that they were said to leave a metallic taste. I never really noticed that but I know most folks moved away from using metal containers but in the past 10 years or so I've seen several sizes available again in metal containers. Do any producers pack in metal containers? What's your experience and what containers are you using?
    About 300 taps
    2'x6' air tight arch
    Semi complete 12'x24' sugarhouse in Somers, CT
    My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/CapturedNature
    My eBook: Making Maple Syrup in your Backyard

My experience metal will rust if stored very long on outside of container. Does not look good. And the metal seals were a pain to take out without spilling. And most could not pour out of when full without running down the side.
    William
    950 taps
    3 X 12 Thor pans on a Brian Arch
    CDL 600 expandable

Here in Quebec nobody uses plastic jugs. Most retail syrup is sold in 540ml cans, like tomato cans. The maple logo is printed on. It will keep forever with no taste whatsoever. We crimp the lids on with a hand-crank 200$ canning machine, never had a leak.

I would worry about pouring boiling syrup in plastic, and then storing it for a long time. Plastic is petroleum, but metal is inert.

Quote Originally Posted by wiam View Post
    My experience metal will rust if stored very long on outside of container. Does not look good. And the metal seals were a pain to take out without spilling. And most could not pour out of when full without running down the side.
    I do remember that. I thought that the newer ones didn't rust like that? It looks like there are two companies - one from Vermont and another from Canada producing metal containers.

Dominion & Grimm - https://www.bascommaple.com/item/cdgq/tins/

New England Container - https://www.bascommaple.com/item/ceqas/tins/

I seem to recall that the D&G ones did not rust or at least that's what I was told. Do the New England Container ones still do that?

Quote Originally Posted by Stanbridge View Post
    Here in Quebec nobody uses plastic jugs. Most retail syrup is sold in 540ml cans, like tomato cans. The maple logo is printed on. It will keep forever with no taste whatsoever. We crimp the lids on with a hand-crank 200$ canning machine, never had a leak.

I would worry about pouring boiling syrup in plastic, and then storing it for a long time. Plastic is petroleum, but metal is inert.
    Yeah, I'm familiar with those cans. I'd prefer a recyclable container other than plastic that's for sure.
    About 300 taps
    2'x6' air tight arch

We sell a lot of the D&G metal in quart, pint and half pint sizes. They're more attractive than the plastic and give the customer another choice besides glass. Never had an issue that I'm aware of with quality. All of our half gallons and gallons are plastic still.
    3,100 taps
    60 cfm flood
    HC2
    5 by 14 oil

Brian

I used New England metal containers just 1 year, and only on 2 smaller sizes in a sugar house design. That was back about 2005 or 06. I never tried again. It is very possible the issue was fixed.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

We tried the NuCan containers some last year, they worked good, people liked that a different style than jugs was available. Their English site states a lot of their advantages, which we also liked. Rather than me saying what they say, just google nucan maple syrup containers.
    I didn't like so much: If not handled relatively gently when empty, an inexperienced filler person can dent them before they're filled.
    They get hot fast when filling, I used gloves eventually.
    The cap really does only require a quarter turn when sealing, more can make a seal difficult.
    The label has ML listed first then OZ below, which might be a problem for NY state bottling unless the ML is covered up.

These are the only metal containers we tried so far in recent times. Bascom has them and ships them.

I stopped using metal containers when my customers complained about how messy they are. Syrup always runs down the side of the container after pouring. They look nice otherwise ;-)
    Dave Barker
    2014 30 taps, steam tray pans
    2015 ~100 taps, in conjunction with University of Louisville
    2x5 Smoky Lake hybrid pan
    2022 150 taps

I see New England Container Company is manufacturing cans again,just wish someone here in Canada would carry them. It would be nice to have the option of cans for shipping,worry about glass every time we package to send syrup off. We don’t pack anything in plastic,all glass except for 1 litre and down is also metal containers.
    7th generation maple producer in sugarhouse built in 1892
    2x World Champion Maple Syrup Producer
    1250 taps on cv adapters
    Leader Vortex 3x14 with Max Flue and Revolution Syrup Pan,Enhanced Steam Away
    www.leggettmaplesyrup.com

I've ordered an assortment of metal containers to give them a try and I'll report back on my experience. I haven't used them in about 20 years but I really like the idea of something that is recyclable and won't contribute to microplastics. I think every solution has it's pluses and minuses so we'll see.
    About 300 taps
    2'x6' air tight arch

+ Reply to Thread