+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Burning railway ties?

Default Burning railway ties?

I got a truckload of railway ties many years ago and have used them for all sorts of things around the sugar shack. But I have used all the good ones and am left with a dozen or so that I can't use. The question is would you guys cut them up and burn in the evaporator? I'm sure they will burn good with all the creosote but what is the downside if any?
    2 1/2 X 8 D. & G. (new to me for 2012)
    new CDL 125 RO for 2020
    600 taps - tried vacuum with old Surge dairy pump in 2011 and worked great
    half on vacuum and half on 3/16"
    400 gal. Zero tank
    Kubota 3540 and Cub Cadet splitter
    Wild turkeys and deer to keep me company
    Grandkids used as taste testers!

Poisonous - Bad Idea, although lot of BTU, I expect....
    I started burning some in a brush fire one time... Horrible black smoke and I was up half the night trying to put the fire out with a garden hose....
    They do have some nasty stuff in them... Your neighbours would likely not appreciate it...
    Last edited by wmick; 04-09-2020 at 03:43 PM.

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

In most places it is illegal to burn treated wood of any kind.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

I tried to get some from the railroad company down at the junction in Montpelier. One of the guys told me they are now classified as highly hazardous and are basically treated like biohazard waste. Have to be trucked by an approved company and brought to an incinerator and each load is documented.

All I wanted them for was to use for bridges in the woods. Guess that aint happening

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mead Maple "It's for the kids..."
    Paul Cerminara
    2019 - First season ever
    -Goal: 3 gallons
    -Season Total: 7.5 gallons - pulled taps after running out of firewood and time
    Built 2'x8' Oil Fired with Thor drop flue pans
    -Goal: 20 gallons
    -Season Total: 55 gallons

https://www.rta.org/assets/docs/Rese...20products.pdf

This link from the Railroad Tie Association (RTA) indicates that reuse of RR ties is acceptable as landscaping. It doesn't have standard dates, references, citations, authors, and credentials that I normally expect from a document I would rely upon. However, I think its generally correct but please don't take my word on it.

I understand that creosote treatment is only restricted on new timber products and railroads are allowed to use them in ties and bridges. So if you have any concerns about building a bridge, retaining wall, or corduroy road then you could always put down some rail and call it a railroad.

And I agree, don't try to burn ties.
    Ken & Sherry
    Williston, VT
    16x34 Sugarhouse
    1,500 taps on high vacuum, Electric Releaser & CDL Sap Lifter
    Wood-Fired Leader 30"x10' Vortex Arch & Max Raised Flue with Rev Syrup Pan & CDL1200 RO
    https://www.facebook.com/pumpkinhillmaple/

Quote Originally Posted by TapTapTap View Post
    https://www.rta.org/assets/docs/Rese...20products.pdf

This link from the Railroad Tie Association (RTA) indicates that reuse of RR ties is acceptable as landscaping. It doesn't have standard dates, references, citations, authors, and credentials that I normally expect from a document I would rely upon. However, I think its generally correct but please don't take my word on it.

I understand that creosote treatment is only restricted on new timber products and railroads are allowed to use them in ties and bridges. So if you have any concerns about building a bridge, retaining wall, or corduroy road then you could always put down some rail and call it a railroad.

And I agree, don't try to burn ties.
    Well I saw it here and TapTalTap said it. It was on the internet so thats all I need for documentation haha!

Mead Maple "It's for the kids..."
    Paul Cerminara
    2019 - First season ever
    -Goal: 3 gallons
    -Season Total: 7.5 gallons - pulled taps after running out of firewood and time
    Built 2'x8' Oil Fired with Thor drop flue pans
    -Goal: 20 gallons
    -Season Total: 55 gallons

Quote Originally Posted by Mead Maple View Post
    Well I saw it here and TapTalTap said it. It was on the internet so thats all I need for documentation haha!

I not sure i understand your humor. I admit I'm not a waste disposal engineer but I used to stay at the Holiday Inn Express!

But seriously, the RTA would be a good authority here - at least for a starting point to research an answer. If there's something from EPA or a state regulator then it should obviously be considered even more of an authority. And yes, i "believe it if i read it on the internet" when it comes to regulations published by the government. The next best thing is an analysis of a regulation posted on the internet at least for understanding how some people apply the regulations. As iI indicated in my previous response, I am concerned about the lack of credentials, authors, dates on the link. The RTA indicates that it is an older document (cira 1990) and by doing so impies that the reader should follow up on its own.
    Ken & Sherry
    Williston, VT
    16x34 Sugarhouse
    Wood-Fired Leader 30"x10' Vortex Arch & Max Raised Flue with Rev Syrup Pan & CDL1200 RO

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...SKh5qFgCAuFDrJ

Here's another reference specific for VT and published by the state. It is consistent with the previous link I posted.
    Ken & Sherry
    Williston, VT
    16x34 Sugarhouse

If you can't get them from the railroad, some home depots sell used railroad ties.

The fumes and off gases created when burning them in a arch, will destroy your pans. I have seen fairly new pans that people used pressured treated scraps for wood, full of pin holes from the bottom up.
    54 Acres bought in Sept 2010, hope for a lot of fun
    Kabota 3400 w/ bucket
    couple Husky chainsaws and a couple of Stihl
    Big dream
    2011 = 106 on gravity tubing, 100 bucket
    2012 =700 vaccuum 100 gravity 80 bucket's
    30" x 12' Vortex with Leader Revolution Max Raised pans
    2013 = 1200 vac, 200 gravity, 5 buckets, buying from 300 buckets, 500 vac
    Springtech RO 600 Deluxe
    2015= 1800 all vac @ home, buying sap from 1200.
    2017= 2200 all on vac. no longer buying sap

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast