View Poll Results: How much of a problem is spout (1/4", 19/64",5/16" plastic spouts) heaving for you?

Voters
117. You may not vote on this poll
  • Not a problem, very rarely happens (< 1%)

68 58.12%
  • Happens a little (2-20%)

38 32.48%
  • Happens a good bit (20-50%)

8 6.84%
  • Happens a lot (50-75%)

2 1.71%
  • Happens every winter (75%+)

1 0.85%
  • Used to happen a LOT, but now I really pound them in deep?

0 0%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Poll - Spout heaving

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Default Poll - Spout heaving

Hi Folks,

Just trying to get some idea of possible new topics to investigate. This one is a POLL of spout heaving (1/4", 19/64" or 5/16" PLASTIC spouts popping out of the taphole). Please complete the poll, but if you have additional comments, go ahead and reply. I'd especially like to hear things like if it was an issue, but you now have gone to pounding them in further or made other changes in an attempt to prevent it.

Thanks much,

Dr. Tim
    Last edited by DrTimPerkins; 04-09-2020 at 01:29 PM.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

Where do we go to answer the poll? OK is see where to answer.
    http://www.northfamilyfarm.com

Tim
    2,500 taps on two pipelines
    Busch Vacuum Pump
    MES Three Phase Three Post RO
    2X10 Leader Vortex Max Flue pan, Enhanced Steamaway
    Electricity made with wind and solar

For me the stubby comes off the cv1. Usually happens in low teens or below.
    William
    950 taps
    3 X 12 Thor pans on a Brian Arch
    CDL 600 expandable

This is the first season that I have had spouts pushed out or rather loosen in the tap hole. I have used clear, straight acrylic spouts for twelve seasons and this is the first season the I have had any loosened by frost. I do all my own taping on 3,200 taps using a Lapierre taping hammer. After two weeks of the season with my vacuum running at 27", it suddenly dropped to a range of 19" to 22". I spent countless hours in the woods looking for leaks or the cause of the lower vacuum. I have a fisher and deer problem in the woods and put in probably between 120 and 150 couplings for repairs and replaced a bunch of chewed drops. After these repairs, the vacuum would go up a little and then drop back down. I had the mystery solved for me last Sunday as I started to pull the taps. After pulling 40 or 50 spouts, I noticed a few had really come out of the tap hole easily and without the normal "snap" noise as the spout was removed from the hole. Later that day and then for the rest of my spouts pulling, I kept a subjective count of the taps that were removed without the "snap". I counted between 10 and 12% of my spouts had been loosened in the tap hole.
    With nothing better to do as I pulled the spouts, I tried the figure out if the spouts were loosened on a particular aspect of the tap hole. I didn't find any relationship to that. However, some of my lines face northerly and that part of the woods had more loose spouts than the west facing lines. I also put in 88- 90 degree clear acrylic spouts (they were free) on one west facing line and not one of them was loose. So next season, I think that I will be using all 90 degree spouts. The big problem with the clear straight spouts is not being able to tap the spout in without cutting off the drop line.(which I never did) Also, I did notice that the clear straight spouts have more taper than the 90 degree spouts. Most of the clear straight spouts, when removed, have a misshapen end on it that conformed to the tap hole. None of the 90 degree spouts had any misshapened ends on them.

Joe
    2004- 470 taps on gravity and buckets
    2006- 590 taps on gravity and buckets 300 gph RO
    2009- 845 taps on vacuum no buckets, 600 gph RO
    2010- 925 taps on vacuum new 2 stage vacuum pump
    2014- 3045 taps on vacuum, new 1200 gph RO
    2015- 3104 taps on vacuum
    2017- 3213 taps on vacuum
    3' x 10' oil fired evaporator with steamaway

This year i saw heaving for the first time since I started tapping 10 years ago. I have 247 taps (18 buckets, 226 5/16 tubing with clear acrylic taps).
    Most of the heaving occurred (approx. 20 taps) were acrylic on Red Maples. I did have 2 buckets also heave, also on Red Maples.

I voted "happens a good bit" but I should specify that in the several years of using two different spouts, CDL smart spouts and Leader CV2 spouts most of the issue has been with the CV2s. I have only seen one come out of the taphole a couple times but every year I do have to re-set quite a few as they can start to leak a bit. It's generally pretty noticeable by the flow of sap from the taphole. I have only very rarely had to re-set a smart spout.

My feeling is that the CV2s don't have enough taper so they don't hold the wood as well.

I have often wondered if this is why some producers don't see the results with CV2s others do given that a leaking tap hole could lead to premature taphole closure...
    About 750 taps on High Vac.
    2.5 x 8 Intens-O-Fire
    Airtech 3 hp LR Pump
    Springtech Elite 500 RO
    14 x 24 Timber Frame SugarHouse
    16 x 22 Sap Shed w/ 1500 gal. + 700 gal. tanks
    www.littlehogbackfarm.com

Jasen,

I guess that I should have thought of noting if the loosened spouts were in red maple or sugar maple. That might have been the reason why the northerly lines, which have a higher percentage of red maples had more loosened spouts than the west facing lines which have a higher percentage of sugar maple.

Joe
    2004- 470 taps on gravity and buckets
    2006- 590 taps on gravity and buckets 300 gph RO
    2009- 845 taps on vacuum no buckets, 600 gph RO
    2010- 925 taps on vacuum new 2 stage vacuum pump
    2014- 3045 taps on vacuum, new 1200 gph RO
    2015- 3104 taps on vacuum
    2017- 3213 taps on vacuum
    3' x 10' oil fired evaporator with steamaway

It’s happened to us in the past 2-20%, now less then 1%. We use dewalt drills(2000rpm), new tapping bits, two hands on the drill when tapping and cv2 spouts, nylon hammer. I personally set about 10k spouts a year. Trees are also all hard Maple, this is important because I have a few soft maple that I have to drill very carefully to prevent oblong holes.

Jason
    Highgate
    30,000 plus Taps
    Wood Chip Evaporator
    TapTrack System- Wireless vacuum monitoring

The 30 degree clear signature spiles seem to have a thinner wall and when well set in the tap hole are more secure than more rigid plastic spiles
    John
    2x8 Smokylake drop flue with AOF/ AUF
    180 taps on sacks
    75 on 3/16 tubing with shurflo
    Eden Prairie, Minnesota

I might have messed up your poll. I'm the one guy who put "happens every winter", but let me qualify that. I've never had a spout come completely out of a hole, but I do find myself reseating them almost every year especially when we have spells down in the teens or lower early in the season. I'll know they need it because with a couple of gentle taps, they'll "click" once or twice back in.
    Woodville Maples
    www.woodvillemaples.com
    www.facebook.com/woodvillemaples
    Around 300 taps on tubing, 25+ on buckets if I put them out
    Mix of natural and mechanical vac, S3 Controller from Mountain Maple
    2x6 W.F. Mason with Phaneuf pans
    Deer Run 250 RO
    Ford F350
    6+ hives of bees (if they make it through the winters)
    Keeping the day job until I can start living the dream.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast