+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Burnt on sap in pump

Default Burnt on sap in pump

Brought both my vacuum pumps( Delaval 73’s) back from the Bush Saturday.
    Started cleaning the one I suspected had a stuck vane first.
    Man was I surprised. It was caked on the inside with burnt sap. Was basically maple sugar. Every vane was stuck. Oil line was full of baked on sugar. . I’m surprised the pump even somewhat worked.
    I stripped it down and soaked it in diesel fuel for 24 hours. Started wiping it down and this crap is like trying to sand varnish off that’s not quite dry. It was all in the bearing as well so that will need a replacement.
    Tried a little brake cleaner. But didn’t help.
    Any ideas what I could soak this in to get this crap off. Was thinking of putting it in the parts washer. But don’t even know if that will take it off. Or if it’s good for the pump.
    600 taps on vacuum
    Lapierre mechanical Releaser
    CDL electric releaser
    2.5 x 10 CDL Venturi ( new for the 2024 season )
    Home made modulating auto draw off
    Homemade RO 2 x 4" membranes
    CDL 16 x 16 bottler
    Wesfab 7" filter press
    Delaval 73 vacuum pumps

12 hives of bees

Did you ave a moisture trap? Clean what you can get out, then I think I'd try putting some fresh oil in the reclaimer and run the pump, maybe even a little water in the oil, like 10% water. You might need to change the oil 2-3 times. In the future get and use a good moisture trap. Some even use 2 water traps in series.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Yes I have a moisture trap but it’s more like a sap trap. I’m sure vapor still enters the pump. But it will stop sap from entering. It’s the CDL ABS trap with the ball inside. It has saved my A$$ a couple times. So it does work if releaser fails.
    I didn’t take the pump apart last year. Just changed the oil.
    I ran the pump a lot more this year. Sometimes pump ran all night if sap was still running.
    Anyways. I’ve wire brushed as much as I can. I think I’m gonna try to fill pump with regular 10w30 with some marvel myster oil in it and run it for a couple hours in the garage till it’s nice and hot. Oil has enough detergents and additives in it that it should help clean it up I hope. Then drain pump. Flush with diesel. Then back to vac oil.
    600 taps on vacuum
    CDL electric releaser
    CDL 16 x 16 bottler
    Wesfab 7" filter press
    Delaval 73 vacuum pumps

12 hives of bees

Got pump all cleaned. Put a new bearing on the shaft and put her back together.
    Filled it with 15w40 that I had a 5 gallon pail of. Ran pump till it hit warm. About 15 minutes. Then shut it down. Been repeating this for a full day. Gonna keep going it for a week or two to let the detergents in the oil do their work. Then drain it out and put fresh vac oil in it. Think I’m going to do this process every year to store pump. I definitely don’t want to be scraping burnt on sugar off every couple years.
    600 taps on vacuum
    CDL electric releaser
    CDL 16 x 16 bottler
    Wesfab 7" filter press
    Delaval 73 vacuum pumps

12 hives of bees

+ Reply to Thread