+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pan

Default Pan

Hello

I've attached a photo of the inside of my pan. It's a 2004 Leader pan that I inherited when I bought my house, along with a nice sugar house. It's always had a little bit of build up on the inside at the sugar level, this year seems a little worse than normal. I've tried the white vinegar/water solution, tried and apple cider vinegar and lemon juice solution. not much luck. I guess my question is, how bad is this in comparison to other pans? Does it make a difference? the bottom of the pan is shiny and clean as a whistle. Thanks for any advice!
    Attached Images Attached Images

How strong were the solutions you used?
    60ish taps on buckets
    D&G Sportsman 18x63
    Turbo RB15 RO Bucket

Quote Originally Posted by ecolbeck View Post
    How strong were the solutions you used?
    When doing the apple cider vinegar & lemon juice, it was 2 gallons of avc to 32 oz of lemon juice. This year when I did the white vinegar and water it was a 50/50 ratio

I suggest you either fill it to the highest level of the sugar sand build up with sap. Then let it set for 6-8 weeks, dump and rinse. If you can't get that much sap, I'd use white vinegar, even if cut to 50/50 with water. Then mix it to blend. A fire under it to heat it to about 110F then let it set. After 3-4 days check to see if it loosened, if not heat it to about 110-120F again. Let it set 2-3 more days. Repeat as many times as necessary. It will come off. After that rinse well with fresh water, sprinkle in a little baking soda, to neutralize the acid and rinse well with lots of water.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Quote Originally Posted by maple flats View Post
    I suggest you either fill it to the highest level of the sugar sand build up with sap. Then let it set for 6-8 weeks, dump and rinse. If you can't get that much sap, I'd use white vinegar, even if cut to 50/50 with water. Then mix it to blend. A fire under it to heat it to about 110F then let it set. After 3-4 days check to see if it loosened, if not heat it to about 110-120F again. Let it set 2-3 more days. Repeat as many times as necessary. It will come off. After that rinse well with fresh water, sprinkle in a little baking soda, to neutralize the acid and rinse well with lots of water.
    Thanks Maple Flats! The sap is done in my neck of the woods, so I'll give the white vinegar another try.

so....thoughts on the photo below? discoloration or rust?

Pan2.jpg

I would say niter.
    Smoky Lake 2x6 dropflu pans and hoods on homemade arch
    Smoky Lake 6 gallon water jacked bottler
    Concentric Exhaust
    250 Deer Run RO
    325 taps

Quote Originally Posted by Super Sapper View Post
    I would say niter.
    WHEW! i sure hope so. I e-mailed the photo to Leader, they are going to have their shop look at it on Monday when they are back in.

If by some chance it is rust, will it be an issue?

I'd soak it in just white vinegar, add some heat and give it a few hours. If still not loose, add more heat (up to 100-140F) or there about and give it more time. Keep repeating until the buildup is gone, then rinse and maybe add some baking soda. When done, flush well with potable water and either dry it, of let it dry 100% before you cover it for storage.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Quote Originally Posted by maple flats View Post
    I'd soak it in just white vinegar, add some heat and give it a few hours. If still not loose, add more heat (up to 100-140F) or there about and give it more time. Keep repeating until the buildup is gone, then rinse and maybe add some baking soda. When done, flush well with potable water and either dry it, of let it dry 100% before you cover it for storage.
    you would say it is niter as well?

+ Reply to Thread