+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Mainline fittings

Default Mainline fittings

I was wondering what mainline fittings would be best to use where your taking the mainlines apart every year after season to open up logging roads and trails.
    16x24 sap house
    3x12 G.H.Grimm raised flue
    2500 taps 500 on buckets
    30x34 sap house
    3x12 leader max revolution
    1000 gph Springtech Ro

I only have one mainline I need to disconnect and am using Banjo brand cam lock fittings. No problems yet but it's only been a couple of years with them.
    First introduced to making maple syrup in 1969
    Making syrup every year since 1979
    3 x 10 oil fired
    Revolution syrup and max flue pan
    Almost 1300 taps total with 900 on high vacuum
    Bought first Marcland drawoff in 1997, still going strong.

Cam locks work good but can leak under vacuum, particularly after a few years out in the woods so keep an eye on that. To help with that, make sure they are not under tension when connected, leave a little slack in the mainline while maintaining pitch.
    305 taps on 2 Shurflo's, 31 taps on 3/16" and 229 taps on gravity. 565 in all
    Mountain Maple S3 controller for 145 of the vacuum taps
    2x6 Darveau Mystique Oil Fired Evaporator w/ Smoky Lake Simplicity Auto Draw
    Wesfab 7” filter press

It is also a good idea to keep spare gaskets, they lose their "loft" with time and that can cause a leak.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

We have mainlines that cross trails in 6 locations and have switched almost all of them over to Banjo quick connects. I prefer to use SS thread to insert connectors on the back side of the Banjos because the all plastic fittings are a significant reduction in the pipe diameter - almost one full pipe size (3/4" is actually 1/2" ID). A couple of the mainlines we need to use a come-along to pull the wire tight but we've switched most over to a large turnbuckle so we can loosely clip in across the trail by hand and use a hammer or screwdriver to tighten. We were running 25" Hg + on one vacuum line this year and no problems with it leaking.
    4,600 Taps on vacuum
    9,400 gallons storage
    3 tower CDL RO
    3.5'x14' Lapierre Force 5
    Twitter & Instagram: @ennismaple
    www.ennismaple.com

Thanks I was thinking about cam locks but wasn't sure if they would leak under vaccuum... I was also thinking about the ss quick coupling that cdl sells.
    16x24 sap house
    3x12 G.H.Grimm raised flue
    2500 taps 500 on buckets
    30x34 sap house
    3x12 leader max revolution
    1000 gph Springtech Ro

MES has some stainless unions that seem to work great. A little pricey but silicone gaskets and stainless will last a long time. I am happy with them. Just make sure you use a little slack when crossing a road if installing in the warm weather, the tubing shrinks when cold...
    2.5X10 HE
    600 RO
    Vac

+ Reply to Thread