+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Squirrel chew prevention question

Default Squirrel chew prevention question

I think I remember someone on here, quite some time ago, mention that putting automotive-style, wire loom (wire protection/wire covering) on their tubing seemed to work. Anyone remember that post? More importantly, did anyone else try it and does it work?

I also remember a gentleman selling braided stainless steel covering at the V.V.S. Maple Conference a number of years ago. Not sure if that's an option or not- it was pricey as I remember. However, constant damage gets to be pricey too.

I've got a critter at one of my tubing locations that just won't quit. And trapping/killing it isn't an option since the landowner probably won't approve of that measure.

Any other thoughts on a tubing cover measure?

Steve
    2014 Upgrades!: 24x40 sugarhouse & 30"x10' Lapierre welded pans, wood fired w/ forced draft, homemade hood & preheater
    400 taps- half on gravity 5/16, half on gravity 3/16
    Airablo R.O. machine - in the house basement!
    Ford F-350 4x4 sap gatherer
    An assortment of barrels, cage tanks & bulk tanks- with one operational for cooling/holding concentrate
    And a few puzzled neighbors...

http://s606.photobucket.com/albums/t...uckethead1920/

My cocktail sauce made with Vicious Viper hot sauce, vegetable oil and water is quite effective. Blend it at about 5% hot sauce, 85% vegetable oil and 10% water. I apply with gloves on using a spray bottle. Less oil and more water has done well too, up to maybe 25% water.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Two different products used to be available. No idea if they still are. Both described in this article.

https://www.themaplenews.com/story/man-vs-squirrel/115/
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

If you have a rouge squirrel or two in section of your bush put out ginger in cloth bags during the season, Mrs. Sis Puffenbarger of Puffenbarger's Sugar Orchard in Virginia told me about an article she read in Good Housekeeping magazine that squirrels do not like the smell of Ginger, she tried it and said it worked?
    Mark 220 Maple
    1100 taps on low vaccum, 900 on gravity.
    900 plus taps leased and on high vacuum
    35 cfm Indiana Liquid Ring Vacuum Pump
    80% Sugar, 20% Red MAPLES
    http://s247.photobucket.com/albums/g...Maple%20Syrup/

Thanks guy's. I'm going to have to try something. They nearly chewed completely through a line twice! I don't know how it didn't break- I'm lucky I didn't find it on the ground. I've had plenty of "bites" that caused me to lose some sap but nothing like this!

Steve
    2014 Upgrades!: 24x40 sugarhouse & 30"x10' Lapierre welded pans, wood fired w/ forced draft, homemade hood & preheater
    400 taps- half on gravity 5/16, half on gravity 3/16
    Airablo R.O. machine - in the house basement!
    Ford F-350 4x4 sap gatherer
    An assortment of barrels, cage tanks & bulk tanks- with one operational for cooling/holding concentrate
    And a few puzzled neighbors...

http://s606.photobucket.com/albums/t...uckethead1920/

Sriracha sauce is my go to. I put it on the tree just above the line. You'd be surprised how long it last if it dries on the trees. I do it three times, when I work the lines just before season, When I start and mid season. After that I just wait and repair in the fall again.
    125-150 taps
    Smokey Lakes Full pint Hybrid pan
    Modified half pint arch
    Air over fire
    All 3/16 tubing
    Southern Ohio

My personal opinion is that how you set up your tubing and the fittings you choose to use is the first place to start in preventing squirrel/critter damage. The end tree is an easy place to minimize damage by using "dead end" fittings. For instance I use CDL dead end T's so the loop of tubing around the tree can be damaged and not leak. There are other variations on this but the nice thing about the dead end T is that it can be several inches away from the end tree.

In terms of how you set up tubing here are a few things to consider.

- If you have other species of tree squirrels like (hickory, oak, hemlock for instance) try to avoid running tubing around or near those species.

- Clear out dead logs or snags that may make it easier for critters to access tubing.

- Run your mainlines straight between trees and as far from trees as possible. Don't use nails in trees for support. Consider using supports for your mainline and minimize side ties.

Basically do whatever possible to make it more difficult for critters to gain access to your tubing.
    About 750 taps on High Vac.
    2.5 x 8 Intens-O-Fire
    Airtech 3 hp LR Pump
    Springtech Elite 500 RO
    14 x 24 Timber Frame SugarHouse
    16 x 22 Sap Shed w/ 1500 gal. + 700 gal. tanks
    www.littlehogbackfarm.com

I would have to say I agree with General. We do dead loops around all end trees with the drop actually entering the lateral away from the tree. No side ties at all we put in posts where we need extra support. I think limiting how many taps there are on each lateral line helps as well because it simply involves less trees. In my case we have very few trees squirrels like, which helps. Also pull those spouts and get those lines drained asap.

Another thing that helps is a SHORT maple season like we had here.
    Jared

+ Reply to Thread