+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Recirculation needle valve and where to plumb lower end

Quote Originally Posted by lastwoodsman View Post
    Are you using the same type of flowmeter as on my panel or some type of inline meter?
    Same style. I have a 1-10 gpm for my recirc. Could probley get away with a smaller one say 1-5 gpm flow meter. But sometimes I run it wide open and it will go to 8 gpm. But 5 seems to work the best and control the pressure the best.
    600 taps on vacuum
    Lapierre mechanical Releaser
    CDL electric releaser
    2.5 x 10 CDL Venturi ( new for the 2024 season )
    Home made modulating auto draw off
    Homemade RO 2 x 4" membranes
    CDL 16 x 16 bottler
    Wesfab 7" filter press
    Delaval 73 vacuum pumps

12 hives of bees

Do you have a brand for that flow meter? How does it hold up to that psi? Struggling finding one rated for that kind of preasure.
    Last edited by cjf12; 04-05-2020 at 03:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cjf12 View Post
    Do you have a brand for that flow meter? How does it hold up to that psi? Struggling finding one rated for that kind of preasure.
    I used lzt from eBay. Works fine. Although right now they are not listing a 0-10gpm model.
    Scarlet Jewell Sugar Shack LLC
    Sandstone, MN 55072
    16 x 24 sugar shack
    crescendo auto drawoff,

Home built ro with a Dow xle 4040 membrane.
    1 1/2 hp motor on 220 drawing 8 amps
    Gravity feed

300 taps on vacuum

2 x 6 Smokey Lake Corsair arch with blower and pans and preheater
    1529 Massey Ferguson, Yamaha Wolverine

https://www.facebook.com/ScarletJewellSugarShack

Instagram. Mapleshack

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOnmFMBgU10

Your flow meters are after the pressure, at that point they are open discharge. Even the recirculate is low pressure, it is feeding non pressurized flow to the high pressure feed inlet.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Quote Originally Posted by maple flats View Post
    Your flow meters are after the pressure, at that point they are open discharge. Even the recirculate is low pressure, it is feeding non pressurized flow to the high pressure feed inlet.
    I think I understand what you are saying. Should I be running a needle valve off the other high pressure side Of the membrane to the existing flow meter and then the outlet of the flow meter to the low pressure side intake of my pump.
    I would use the valve on the top of the membrane to control outlet pressure.
    Scarlet Jewell Sugar Shack LLC
    Sandstone, MN 55072
    16 x 24 sugar shack
    crescendo auto drawoff,

Home built ro with a Dow xle 4040 membrane.
    1 1/2 hp motor on 220 drawing 8 amps
    Gravity feed

300 taps on vacuum

2 x 6 Smokey Lake Corsair arch with blower and pans and preheater
    1529 Massey Ferguson, Yamaha Wolverine

https://www.facebook.com/ScarletJewellSugarShack

Instagram. Mapleshack

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOnmFMBgU10

If you are installing a recircirc line you will need 2 needle valves
    Concentrate Line comming off your membrane goes to a tee with 1 side going to your concentrate needle valve then other side of needle valve goes to flow meter. Other side of flow meter heads to your concentrate tank.
    Recirc line connects to the tee off the concentrate line from the membrane. Goes to a needle valve. Other side of needle valve goes to a flow meter. Other side of flow meter heads to you inlet of your hp pump where you will need a tee as well.
    600 taps on vacuum
    CDL electric releaser
    CDL 16 x 16 bottler
    Wesfab 7" filter press
    Delaval 73 vacuum pumps

12 hives of bees

Quote Originally Posted by Bricklayer View Post
    This method works as well. I’ve used it before to achieve higher concentration. But it takes a long time. You are constantly adding concentrated sap to fresh sap. Then sending it through RO again.
    I just find that with a recirc line I get better results. I run my recirc at 5gpm on my RO. And .75 gpm of concentrate.
    This gets me boiling 30 minutes after I start RO and have enough in the head tank to fire up. By the time I’m boiling I have 40 gallons on head tank and it stays that level till RO shuts off.
    The recircung back to sap tank takes hours untill you have an even concentration.
    I find recirculating back to my sap tank not a big deal. I start my RO after I truck in the first load of sap. I set my pressure about 300psi and concentrate flow of 5gpm. By the time I have everything trucked back ( 3 of 4 loads ) the sap is up to 8 to 10%. I then tighten down the needle valve to about 13 to 14%. While the head tank is filling I drain the permeate from my syrup pan and pump the sweet back in. By the time that is done I have about 150 gallons in my head tank and start boiling.
    First introduced to making maple syrup in 1969
    Making syrup every year since 1979
    3 x 10 oil fired
    Revolution syrup and max flue pan
    Almost 1300 taps total with 900 on high vacuum
    Bought first Marcland drawoff in 1997, still going strong.

I added a recirc line to my Waterguys single-post RO for this year and love it. Previously, I recirculated back into the truck tank until it was sweet enough, then pumped overhead to my head tank on one final pass. It took around 2 hours to concentrate my typical 200 gallons, before I could start my boil. With internal recirc, I can control my RO output to 8 brix and light the match within 15 minutes of starting the RO. This was a game-changer for me this year. A single post at 8 brix output keeps up pretty good with my 25 gph boil rate. Limiting concentrate to 8 brix lets me go the whole season doing rinses only, then I do soap wash only at end of the season. Works well on a small scale (~50 gallons syrup per season). At 8 brix, you're pulling out 75% of the water. When I go to 12 brix (~82% water removed) or higher I need to do frequent washes. To me, 75% of water removed and 82% are about the same number, so why make more work for yourself? Same thing goes for those high-brix systems... 40 brix (95% of water removed) is really only marginally better than 16 brix (88% of water removed) when you look at it from a water removal perspective. Both are way better than the alternative (raw sap).

Ok, off soap box now.

The only "gotcha" i ran into when I added the recirc line was that my original concentrate flowmeter was too big. The 0.5 gpm of 8% that I make was not enough to raise the float, so I put a cheapo one from amazon inline with my head-tank feed line.
    Boulder Trail Sugaring
    150 Taps on Vacuum
    Homemade 20"x40" Hybrid Pan - 15 gph
    Homemade Steamaway - 10 gph
    Waterguys single-post RO

Quote Originally Posted by jrgagne99 View Post
    I added a recirc line to my Waterguys single-post RO for this year and love it. Previously, I recirculated back into the truck tank until it was sweet enough, then pumped overhead to my head tank on one final pass. It took around 2 hours to concentrate my typical 200 gallons, before I could start my boil. With internal recirc, I can control my RO output to 8 brix and light the match within 15 minutes of starting the RO. This was a game-changer for me this year. A single post at 8 brix output keeps up pretty good with my 25 gph boil rate. Limiting concentrate to 8 brix lets me go the whole season doing rinses only, then I do soap wash only at end of the season. Works well on a small scale (~50 gallons syrup per season). At 8 brix, you're pulling out 75% of the water. When I go to 12 brix (~82% water removed) or higher I need to do frequent washes. To me, 75% of water removed and 82% are about the same number, so why make more work for yourself? Same thing goes for those high-brix systems... 40 brix (95% of water removed) is really only marginally better than 16 brix (88% of water removed) when you look at it from a water removal perspective. Both are way better than the alternative (raw sap).

Ok, off soap box now.

The only "gotcha" i ran into when I added the recirc line was that my original concentrate flowmeter was too big. The 0.5 gpm of 8% that I make was not enough to raise the float, so I put a cheapo one from amazon inline with my head-tank feed line.
    I don't think you should be looking at this just from the stand point of water removal. While going from 8% to 12% is only 7% increase in the amount of water removed it is a 48% increase in the amount of syrup made per hour at your 25 GPH rate. Going from 16% to 40% is still only a 7% increase in the amount of water removed but a 150% increase in the amount of syrup made per hour.
    First introduced to making maple syrup in 1969
    Making syrup every year since 1979
    3 x 10 oil fired
    Revolution syrup and max flue pan
    Almost 1300 taps total with 900 on high vacuum
    Bought first Marcland drawoff in 1997, still going strong.

The nice thing about a recirc line with a needle valve is you can close it if you don’t like it or want to use it.
    Like I said. I’ve recirc’d sap back into the tank before but I’ve had way better results personally and spent a lot less time cleaning my membrane using the recirc line.
    600 taps on vacuum
    CDL electric releaser
    CDL 16 x 16 bottler
    Wesfab 7" filter press
    Delaval 73 vacuum pumps

12 hives of bees

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12