+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 275 gallon caged tank: How bad is the sloshing when gathering?

Alaska (East Central Minnesota For Sugaring)

Quote Originally Posted by 1arch View Post
    Great idea, any concern about food grade quality of the plastic?
    My tank will be food grade plastic as would be any baffling materials. The guy in the video wasn’t hauling sap and it looked like non food grade hose.

I would be less concerned with food grade hose and be more concerned with how to keep it clean. Enclosed tanks are notorious for building up bacteria if not washed on a regular basis. Not sure how you would keep that hose clean without taking it out and washing it.

We use a non-baffled poly tank in the pickup, it's a 325 gallon leg tank. So it is just a little lower than a 275 cage tank. I have a steel skid under it with the tank, which just fits the length of the bed with the tailgate up. the leg tank is banded to the skid. The tank is also ratchet strapped in the truck bed on both sides. I drive it carefully but have been know to get it up to the speed limit at certain times too. I really don't notice the sloshing. And it is full many times during the season. I think you will be fine with your H pulling it. The suggestion about the large lid is right on the money. Most of the cage tanks have a 8 inch lid. I would suggest buying and installing a 14 or 16 inch lid. Much easier to get in and rinse. We lift drain and rinse our tank after the last run of the day.
    And yes it your lifting and dumping into it they are pretty tall. A dump and pump system can save your backs. BTDT!
    Keep boiling!
    Regards,
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

If you get the long sap filter and put it in the tote and pour through the filter when collecting, it actually acts as a damper in the tank and breaks up the wave action. No lid necessary as the sap does slosh around like a tank without the long filter.
    Chad

2014: 12 taps, 5 gal buckets
    2015: 15 taps on bags
    2016: 150 taps: 100 on bags, 50 on 3/16" natural vac, 2x8 AUF/AOF Homebuilt Arch, 2x8 SL Drop Flu & Auto Draw, SL Propane Canner/Bottler
    2017: 225 taps: Built Lean to, Added SL hood, preheater, concentric exhaust, SL SS 7" SB Filter Press
    2018: 180 taps: Added Shurflo to 50 - 3/16", Auto fill sensor to head tank
    2019: No tapping
    2020: 175 taps
    2021: 300 taps, homemade RO and releaser
    2022: 600+ taps

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12