+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 275 gallon caged tank: How bad is the sloshing when gathering?

Alaska (East Central Minnesota For Sugaring)

Default 275 gallon caged tank: How bad is the sloshing when gathering?

I've been using four 55 gallon barrels to gather, but am considering switching to a single caged tank to simplify things. I'd be towing it through the woods, on a two wheel trailer pulled by an old Farmall H.

How big of an issue will sloshing be?

Well, it can be significant given the size. The fuller the better but Im sure ol bessy wont have too much an issue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mead Maple "It's for the kids..."
    Paul Cerminara
    2019 - First season ever
    -Goal: 3 gallons
    -Season Total: 7.5 gallons - pulled taps after running out of firewood and time
    Built 2'x8' Oil Fired with Thor drop flue pans
    -Goal: 20 gallons
    -Season Total: 55 gallons

It will slosh a lot, but just drive slowly and it will work fine. Between stops you will want to screw the cap on.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Quote Originally Posted by maple flats View Post
    It will slosh a lot, but just drive slowly and it will work fine. Between stops you will want to screw the cap on.
    Thanks. Have you used one for this purpose yourself?

I was planning to have the gatherers dump sap into a smaller container and pump into the tank, leaving everything set up as we drive along. I'd only be using the small hole in the top cover to run the hose into. I was thinking I'd lose a negligible amount of sap to splashing that way?

The four barrels work fine used in a similar fashion, but it's switching between them and keeping track of how full they are that's the issue.

I use a 325 gallon tank behind an International 454. I travel a rough road and the sloshing isn't an issue. My trailer has really stiff springs on it and can take the weight. If your trailer does well with the 55 gallon barrels it should also do well with the cage tank.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

I have a cage tank in the back of my truck, so not the safe surface conditions but sudden stops can make things interesting. A friend of mine whoo used to fish tuna said he would fill a container with water, put a lid on it and drop it in his hold to help steady the shifting ice and water. He told me I should do the same thing with a 2 or 5 gallon bucket. I don't feel like I need to do that, but I'm wondering if anyone had ever heard of anything like that.
    Woodville Maples
    www.woodvillemaples.com
    www.facebook.com/woodvillemaples
    Around 300 taps on tubing, 25+ on buckets if I put them out
    Mix of natural and mechanical vac, S3 Controller from Mountain Maple
    2x6 W.F. Mason with Phaneuf pans
    Deer Run 250 RO
    Ford F350
    6+ hives of bees (if they make it through the winters)
    Keeping the day job until I can start living the dream.

SeanD. What he is referring to is creating a baffle of sorts. It would help if you ran it a lot less than full

OP- I use mine in back of my pick up truck, a 275. Like I wrote before, its actually safer full than not. I have used it for two years and have not had any major issues, but the majority of my traveling is on dirt roads. I wouldnt hesitate to use it. Theyre super cheap and very easy to find. I have 4 of them in use

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mead Maple "It's for the kids..."
    Paul Cerminara
    2019 - First season ever
    -Goal: 3 gallons
    -Season Total: 7.5 gallons - pulled taps after running out of firewood and time
    Built 2'x8' Oil Fired with Thor drop flue pans
    -Goal: 20 gallons
    -Season Total: 55 gallons

Quote Originally Posted by SeanD View Post
    ...A friend of mine who used to fish tuna said he would fill a container with water, put a lid on it and drop it in his hold to help steady the shifting ice and water. He told me I should do the same thing with a 2 or 5 gallon bucket. I don't feel like I need to do that, but I'm wondering if anyone had ever heard of anything like that.
    I think he knows what he's talking about, although it would seem that several buckets would be even better. Earlier I found this on Youtube. The problem would be the expense of food grade hose: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2D_S8GxjTO4

I plan to go ahead and use the tank without baffles. We'll only be driving at low speed in the woods and if splashing won't be an issue it should work well.

You should do fine with the H. Not many aluminum or plastic parts on that old girl. lol. Plenty of weight and pulling power there. Now if you said you had the small, off-set seat, cultivator unit (maybe an A?), I'd say wait just a minute...

I used a cage tank for years in the back of a pick up and had a cut-down plastic barrel at bumper level for a "dumping station". Had a 12 volt boat bilge pump with a float switch in the barrel and it pumped the sap up and into the tank. It's no fun climbing up anywhere and trying to reach for and dump pails into the top opening on any tank. Takes the fun right out of it- I know!

Good luck with it!

Steve
    2014 Upgrades!: 24x40 sugarhouse & 30"x10' Lapierre welded pans, wood fired w/ forced draft, homemade hood & preheater
    400 taps- half on gravity 5/16, half on gravity 3/16
    Airablo R.O. machine - in the house basement!
    Ford F-350 4x4 sap gatherer
    An assortment of barrels, cage tanks & bulk tanks- with one operational for cooling/holding concentrate
    And a few puzzled neighbors...

http://s606.photobucket.com/albums/t...uckethead1920/

Quote Originally Posted by buck3m View Post
    I think he knows what he's talking about, although it would seem that several buckets would be even better. Earlier I found this on Youtube. The problem would be the expense of food grade hose: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2D_S8GxjTO4

I plan to go ahead and use the tank without baffles. We'll only be driving at low speed in the woods and if splashing won't be an issue it should work well.
    Great idea, any concern about food grade quality of the plastic?
    2x6 Smokey Lake raised flue w/AUF
    16x30 Sugar Shack
    7" SL SS filter press
    Smokey Lake water jacketed finish pan & bottler
    350 RO
    517 taps and I seem to keep finding more!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast