+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Maple Vinegar- bottled my first attempt today

Default Maple Vinegar- bottled my first attempt today

My daughters found a cook book with Native American recipes that called for Maple vinegar. So of course dad got tagged to make some. I couldn't find many resources, but I gave it a try. I used sweet from the back of the pan and I put it in a glass gallon jar. I did add some mother from cider vinegar and let it set for 6 or 7 weeks. I wasn't sure just when to stop, but I was fighting mold. I ran it through a maple prefilter and heated to 190 for 30 minutes. It tasted pretty tart with just a bit of sweetness left. Anyone else ever tried it, I think it done ok.
    125-150 taps
    Smokey Lakes Full pint Hybrid pan
    Modified half pint arch
    Air over fire
    All 3/16 tubing
    Southern Ohio

We had a spell of bad weather several years ago which allowed the flue pan to ferment. I refused to throw it out and put it into a drum fitted with a air lock...and let it fully ferment in a warm room. After the yeast gobbled up the sugars, it went into a big crock with a cloth top. We added a vinegar mother and it stayed in an airy shed all summer. Rule of thumb is that you taste it and let it get as sour as you want. When it was nice, we filtered it, and bottled it.

Yup;ferment,add mother,let mother do it's thing,check acid level and bring down to 5% with distilled water. By heating you kill & destroy all the good properties of the vinegar.Should be bottled with a little mother in the bottle.Loads on info out there for apple cider vinegar,same principles. Have fun!

+ Reply to Thread