+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What do you “Feed” your squirrels?

Squirrel stew is the best.
    2004 - 2012 2x3 flat pan 25 to 60 taps
    2012 2x3 new divided pan w/draw off 55 taps
    2018 - didn't boil surgery - bought new evaporator
    2019 new SML 2x4 raised flue high output evap. 65 taps
    made 17 gal. syrup
    2020 - only put out 53 taps - made 16.25 ga.l syrup
    2021 - Didn't work out
    2022 - 25 taps on bags / 8 taps on 3/16's line - late start

A pellet gun and a blue heeler dog makes a pretty good team. I've been "feeding" squirrels to my garden.

I've been known to get out .410 if they're getting into the chicken nun but generally i let the preditors take care of them - owls, hawks, foxes, bobcat, etc. Preditors have to eat too you know. I like knowing that my sugarbush has diversity.

And, oh ya, i got plenty of squirrels. But thats what attracts the other animals.
    Ken & Sherry
    Williston, VT
    16x34 Sugarhouse
    1,500 taps on high vacuum, Electric Releaser & CDL Sap Lifter
    Wood-Fired Leader 30"x10' Vortex Arch & Max Raised Flue with Rev Syrup Pan & CDL1200 RO
    https://www.facebook.com/pumpkinhillmaple/

We use this automatic trap. Kills about 20 of them before you need a new CO2 cylinder. Finding the right location and keeping it baited are important too. Probably cheaper to buy ammo but takes less time.
    https://goodnature.co/
    http://www.northfamilyfarm.com

Tim
    2,500 taps on two pipelines
    Busch Vacuum Pump
    MES Three Phase Three Post RO
    2X10 Leader Vortex Max Flue pan, Enhanced Steamaway
    Electricity made with wind and solar

Thanks Tim,looks like exactly what I was looking for. Pretty pricey,would figure out to over $300.00 for me here in Canada. What do you use for bait? Our nephew is gone home now ( split family his Mom wanted him home for her week,thought he would be better off and safer staying here in the country. All washed up and done in the bush,black flies out already,so won’t be back in there often enough to get much hunting done. Says it attaches to trees,what size? I either have a 3” sapling where they are congregating,or a 36” maple 15’ away they run to. Can you get the co2 charges anywhere,or should I order extra of them also?
    7th generation maple producer in sugarhouse built in 1892
    2x World Champion Maple Syrup Producer
    1250 taps on cv adapters
    Leader Vortex 3x14 with Max Flue and Revolution Syrup Pan,Enhanced Steam Away
    www.leggettmaplesyrup.com

All I fed mine this year was a cocktail made using Vicious Viper hot sauce. We blend it 1/5 hot sauce, 3/5 cooking oil and 1/5 water. We then spray it on some drop lines where they are likely to attract squirrels. This year was our most successful year controlling ever for squirrel chews. We never went below 25" vacuum all season.
    Last edited by maple flats; 04-02-2020 at 07:13 PM.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Quote Originally Posted by maple flats View Post
    All I fed mine this year was a cocktail made using Vicious Viper hot sauce. We blend it 1/5 hot sauce, 3/5 cooking oil and 1/5 water. We then spray it on some drop lines where they are likely to attract squirrels. This year was our most successful year controlling ever for squirrel chews. We never went below 25" vacuum all season.
    Dave,my wife had asked something like this when we were repairing tubing before we tapped. Problem is there are a lot of hot spots throughout the three bushes we tap, and hundreds and hundreds of lateral lines to maintain also
    7th generation maple producer in sugarhouse built in 1892
    2x World Champion Maple Syrup Producer
    1250 taps on cv adapters
    Leader Vortex 3x14 with Max Flue and Revolution Syrup Pan,Enhanced Steam Away
    www.leggettmaplesyrup.com

While this year I only had 400 taps, and I had help tapping early on, once the Covid 19 became an issue, I worked totally alone. Fortunately the previous 2 seasons I had help and that "educated" some squirrels. This year I only sprayed some drops in areas where the squirrel problem was the worst in years past, spraying just once. My vacuum runs between 26-27", and it never fell to 25" or under so I never had to fix leaks all year. This was the first year ever that I could say that. Yes I might have had some micro leaks, but at 26+" I didn't feel the need to chase them down. This was also my first year with apparently no deer chews since they began in 2018. 18-19 were bad for deer chews, this year none that I needed to fix. A deer chew last year would drop the vacuum from 26-27 down to 23 or under. My pump is an old relic, a BB4 piston pump.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

When we have squirrel visits I doctor up where they climb up with Hot Sause mixed with Vaseline then sit back and enjoy the show
    4x12 arch
    new custom flues
    New custom front pan
    600 buckets town trees
    1500 3/16 taps
    D&G filterpress
    16x32 3rdgen canner
    member NYMPA
    Director American Maple Museum
    Director NNYMP COOP
    Asst. Chief BFFD
    Retired(now working for free)