+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do you “Feed” your squirrels?

Default What do you “Feed” your squirrels?

Have set up a feeding station near the sugar house where I am “ feeding “ the squirrels,they have definitely found it,but numbers don’t seem to be declining yet
    7th generation maple producer in sugarhouse built in 1892
    2x World Champion Maple Syrup Producer
    1250 taps on cv adapters
    Leader Vortex 3x14 with Max Flue and Revolution Syrup Pan,Enhanced Steam Away
    www.leggettmaplesyrup.com

Before providing input to this topic I would like to acknowledge that I am not a professional producer and therefore I do not have the stresses that come with making a living as a farmer and the headaches of dealing with wildlife. That being said, I encourage you to find an alternative means of dealing with squirrels other than feeding them because non-target species are practically guaranteed to be affected either through direct consumption of the bait or by eating dead squirrels. Poisons bioaccumulate and move up the food chain killing many animals. I don’t know what the answer is to the issue, but I hope that another choice can be made.
    60ish taps on buckets
    D&G Sportsman 18x63
    Turbo RB15 RO Bucket

I feed mine with lead pellets from my shotgun.

Spud

I tend to just let some steele shot from my 12 gauge take care of them. Wife gets a little squeamish, doesn't seem to bother the kids much. And I can personally Guarantee that it is a quick and humane death, usually there isn't much left to even clean up.
    Nate Hutchins
    Nate & Kate's Maple
    2022 1000 taps?
    3x10 Intensofire
    20x36 sugarhouse
    CDL 600gph RO
    A wife and 2 kids.

Switched from the 12 gauge to a Ruger 10-22 with a scope this year. Wear it over my shoulder while replacing taps or drops. Got a bunch during setup and had almost no squirrel chews during the season.
    -Ryan

Went off the deep end. Might be in over my head...

I truly hope the original post was NOT talking about leavibg out poison. That is just beyond awful. You will end up killing other wildlife. I really hope I'm reading this wrong.

Ill throw my two cents in. While I’m all about ridding them, Im against poisoning them (if thats whats implied). My son is 9 and practicing off hand shooting for his first deer season. The Ruger 10/22 as mentioned before is our choice of eradication. Of course, if the covid continues we will begin to harvest and make pot pies or casseroles with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mead Maple "It's for the kids..."
    Paul Cerminara
    2019 - First season ever
    -Goal: 3 gallons
    -Season Total: 7.5 gallons - pulled taps after running out of firewood and time
    Built 2'x8' Oil Fired with Thor drop flue pans
    -Goal: 20 gallons
    -Season Total: 55 gallons

To put everyone’s mind at ease,no poison involved,people tend to walk in that area with their dogs also. My nephew is trying to pick them off with a high powered pellet gun,too young for anything heavier. Was considering traps,but would have to be live traps as an unsuspecting dog or other animal could trip one. Should be good hunting now that I have them congregating in one area.
    7th generation maple producer in sugarhouse built in 1892
    2x World Champion Maple Syrup Producer
    1250 taps on cv adapters
    Leader Vortex 3x14 with Max Flue and Revolution Syrup Pan,Enhanced Steam Away
    www.leggettmaplesyrup.com

I use my grandfathers trick.
    I nail a 16” or so piece of 2x4 to a tree. Close to where you can get a good safe shot at them. Then on the bottom side of the end of the 2x4 put an open eyelet bolt screwed into the wood.
    Then take a roundish piece of stick or dowel about 2” diameter spread some peanut butter on it then dunk it in cracked corn or sunflower seeds or whole corn whatever is available.
    The birds will like it. But the squirrells climb right on it and hang there. Makes for a great shot. Chipmunks love it too. Can pick off lots before the log is destroyed from the shot. I’ll send you a picture if I remember tomorrow when I get home.
    600 taps on vacuum
    Lapierre mechanical Releaser
    CDL electric releaser
    2.5 x 10 CDL Venturi ( new for the 2024 season )
    Home made modulating auto draw off
    Homemade RO 2 x 4" membranes
    CDL 16 x 16 bottler
    Wesfab 7" filter press
    Delaval 73 vacuum pumps

12 hives of bees

Here’s a pic I found of something similar. Never thought of just hanging a cob of corn. Would probley keep the birds away from it.

Attachment 21349
    600 taps on vacuum
    Lapierre mechanical Releaser
    CDL electric releaser
    2.5 x 10 CDL Venturi ( new for the 2024 season )
    Home made modulating auto draw off
    Homemade RO 2 x 4" membranes
    CDL 16 x 16 bottler
    Wesfab 7" filter press
    Delaval 73 vacuum pumps

12 hives of bees

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast