+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do you “Feed” your squirrels?

Hybrid View

Default What do you “Feed” your squirrels?

Have set up a feeding station near the sugar house where I am “ feeding “ the squirrels,they have definitely found it,but numbers don’t seem to be declining yet
    7th generation maple producer in sugarhouse built in 1892
    2x World Champion Maple Syrup Producer
    1250 taps on cv adapters
    Leader Vortex 3x14 with Max Flue and Revolution Syrup Pan,Enhanced Steam Away
    www.leggettmaplesyrup.com

Before providing input to this topic I would like to acknowledge that I am not a professional producer and therefore I do not have the stresses that come with making a living as a farmer and the headaches of dealing with wildlife. That being said, I encourage you to find an alternative means of dealing with squirrels other than feeding them because non-target species are practically guaranteed to be affected either through direct consumption of the bait or by eating dead squirrels. Poisons bioaccumulate and move up the food chain killing many animals. I don’t know what the answer is to the issue, but I hope that another choice can be made.
    60ish taps on buckets
    D&G Sportsman 18x63
    Turbo RB15 RO Bucket

I feed mine with lead pellets from my shotgun.

Spud

I tend to just let some steele shot from my 12 gauge take care of them. Wife gets a little squeamish, doesn't seem to bother the kids much. And I can personally Guarantee that it is a quick and humane death, usually there isn't much left to even clean up.
    Nate Hutchins
    Nate & Kate's Maple
    2022 1000 taps?
    3x10 Intensofire
    20x36 sugarhouse
    CDL 600gph RO
    A wife and 2 kids.

Switched from the 12 gauge to a Ruger 10-22 with a scope this year. Wear it over my shoulder while replacing taps or drops. Got a bunch during setup and had almost no squirrel chews during the season.
    -Ryan

Went off the deep end. Might be in over my head...

Thanks Tim,looks like exactly what I was looking for. Pretty pricey,would figure out to over $300.00 for me here in Canada. What do you use for bait? Our nephew is gone home now ( split family his Mom wanted him home for her week,thought he would be better off and safer staying here in the country. All washed up and done in the bush,black flies out already,so won’t be back in there often enough to get much hunting done. Says it attaches to trees,what size? I either have a 3” sapling where they are congregating,or a 36” maple 15’ away they run to. Can you get the co2 charges anywhere,or should I order extra of them also?
    1250 taps on cv adapters

All I fed mine this year was a cocktail made using Vicious Viper hot sauce. We blend it 1/5 hot sauce, 3/5 cooking oil and 1/5 water. We then spray it on some drop lines where they are likely to attract squirrels. This year was our most successful year controlling ever for squirrel chews. We never went below 25" vacuum all season.
    Last edited by maple flats; 04-02-2020 at 07:13 PM.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Quote Originally Posted by maple flats View Post
    All I fed mine this year was a cocktail made using Vicious Viper hot sauce. We blend it 1/5 hot sauce, 3/5 cooking oil and 1/5 water. We then spray it on some drop lines where they are likely to attract squirrels. This year was our most successful year controlling ever for squirrel chews. We never went below 25" vacuum all season.
    Dave,my wife had asked something like this when we were repairing tubing before we tapped. Problem is there are a lot of hot spots throughout the three bushes we tap, and hundreds and hundreds of lateral lines to maintain also
    1250 taps on cv adapters

While this year I only had 400 taps, and I had help tapping early on, once the Covid 19 became an issue, I worked totally alone. Fortunately the previous 2 seasons I had help and that "educated" some squirrels. This year I only sprayed some drops in areas where the squirrel problem was the worst in years past, spraying just once. My vacuum runs between 26-27", and it never fell to 25" or under so I never had to fix leaks all year. This was the first year ever that I could say that. Yes I might have had some micro leaks, but at 26+" I didn't feel the need to chase them down. This was also my first year with apparently no deer chews since they began in 2018. 18-19 were bad for deer chews, this year none that I needed to fix. A deer chew last year would drop the vacuum from 26-27 down to 23 or under. My pump is an old relic, a BB4 piston pump.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

I truly hope the original post was NOT talking about leavibg out poison. That is just beyond awful. You will end up killing other wildlife. I really hope I'm reading this wrong.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast