+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Wesfab 7 inch gear pump DE question

Default Wesfab 7 inch gear pump DE question

Just another question from a newby. So I needed to get another bag of DE and grabbed the bag below from the local supplier. Noticed it was a different consistency (fluffier) than the last bag I had. Filter press worked great all year until I switched to this new DE. When using the new stuff, my filter press plugged up twice. Had to tear the whole thing down and clean out the gear pump since it was locked up with DE. Question is: is there different kinds of DE? If so, what do I use for a 7 inch wesfab with a gear pump?4690E0A4-DF51-4922-8992-CF8E8E95810C.jpg

Did it come from a Maple Dealer? DE in different grades is used for filtering many different products. How much DE did you use in how much syrup and did you mix it well before running it thru the pump?
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Yes it came from a maple dealer. Lapierre. I put 7 cups with about 10 gallons of syrup and it was stirred constantly. I did the same way I’ve done all season and did 260 gallons of syrup with no problem. Now with this new DE I’m having this issue.

Doesn’t seem like it should have plugged up but maybe it was just heavy nitered syrup. Is it a short stack 7” press? If so, I would back off and try 4-5 cups next time and see what happens.
    305 taps on 2 Shurflo's, 31 taps on 3/16" and 229 taps on gravity. 565 in all
    Mountain Maple S3 controller for 145 of the vacuum taps
    2x6 Darveau Mystique Oil Fired Evaporator w/ Smoky Lake Simplicity Auto Draw
    Wesfab 7” filter press

I use about 5 cups of DE to 10 gallons also. Did you press it all through at the same time, just a thought but maybe your draws are coming slower later in the year and your press is cooling down?
    Nate Hutchins
    Nate & Kate's Maple
    2022 1000 taps?
    3x10 Intensofire
    20x36 sugarhouse
    CDL 600gph RO
    A wife and 2 kids.

+ Reply to Thread