+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What do I need to heat syrup for bottling? Finisher? thanks

Quote Originally Posted by n8hutch View Post
    My Advice is to finish the syrup on your rig, and filter it right away and them package in bulk, weather it be 5 gallon containers or 15 or 40, any unnecessary time spent reheating cold near up or syrup to filter is miserable in my opinion. Once you get rid of all those steps you will be amazed how much more time you have. Get some kind of a water jacketed Canner to heat your syrup up in when you want to package it in retail containers.
    I think this is probably the direction I should go.

Can anyone using a water jacket canner with a 220 volt element share their experience in how long it takes to heat syrup? The one I got a quote on is a 27 gallon.
    -Ryan

Went off the deep end. Might be in over my head...

Also, is there a reasonably priced container option for bulk storage? I'm not super keen on hot packing plastic. I imagine stainless barrels are the best, but I would imagine they're not particularly cheap.
    -Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by Super Sapper View Post
    I always take mine off a little heavy, it does not make any sense to me to take it off early and finish it on something that is way more inefficient and time consuming. When I have enough to filter I reheat on a turkey fryer, adjust density and run it through my press into the bottler.

If you have a water jacketed bottler or system that will not make more niter you could take off a little over density, heat and filter into a larger container. When you want to bottle just but it into your bottler and heat to around 185 and bottle. There is no need to filter it again if you are not creating more niter.
    I take mine off heavy as well after watching a smoky lake video. This allows me to draw off some sweet from the pan in a separate container hot and filtered. I then use that (sweet) but lower sugar material to dilute and bring the brix down to the appropriate degree. This also adds to my syrup total for that session and it’s filtered just like the syrup I drew off.

I used to use my turkey burner to reheat/finish/bottle but now I use my homemade filter/bottler on my wood stove and heat to temp and proper density.

Its based off a leader/mason canner but is made of thick stainless so it heats up so much more evenly and doesn’t create niter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mead Maple "It's for the kids..."
    Paul Cerminara
    2019 - First season ever
    -Goal: 3 gallons
    -Season Total: 7.5 gallons - pulled taps after running out of firewood and time
    Built 2'x8' Oil Fired with Thor drop flue pans
    -Goal: 20 gallons
    -Season Total: 55 gallons

Whether it creates more niter is dependent on whether in the heating process you evaporated more moisture away or had an unusually hot spot while heating. The hot spot causes it faster, but if you loose much more water there are then minerals that settle because the syrup went past saturation.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

We have a LaPierre 29 gallon water jacket canner with dual elements it
    takes about 2 hours to heat up syrup to 186 ,if its full.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfcreek Maple View Post
    We have a LaPierre 29 gallon water jacket canner with dual elements it
    takes about 2 hours to heat up syrup to 186 ,if its full.
    Thank you, that's very helpful.
    -Ryan

Just spoke to Jim at CDL Wisconsin. He was of the opinion that I shouldn't use a water jacketed canner for reheating. Said it was only designed for maintaining temp. Even the dual element 220volt model. Kinda confusing.
    -Ryan

While I never timed how long it takes for my 16 gal WJ Smoky Lake WJ bottler to heat, it helped a lot after I made a cover for holding the heat in the bottler. I made it using 1" rigid foam insulation. The heating element controller remains outside of the enclosure but the rest is all covered, top, sides and front including the part out front over the bottling shelf. It makes the heating process much faster (and more efficient). To assemble it I used 2.5" long screws. I just cut the pieces and screwed the corners together. The top in laid on after and weighted down using a length of 2x6, the front bottom cover is propped up from the bottling shelf.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Yes seems confusing we use ours all time for reheating.We have used ours for 4 years now no issues at all.It uses same elements as a hot water "heater".

Talked to another dealer who said I was barking up the wrong tree. Suggested I'd need to heat elsewhere, then filter into the canner and that the canner wouldn't heat syrup. She did admit that they'd never tried though.

Dave, I was thinking that insulation would help, even just wrapping it in towels.
    -Ryan

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast