+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Covid 19 increases syrup demand

Default Covid 19 increases syrup demand

Based on the last 2 months I'm beginning to think more people are staying home and eating meals that use pure maple syrup. The last 2 months have been my best Feb and Mar since I first sold syrup in 2003. Is anyone else seeing this too? Those 2 months have been over double what the same time period were in any other year, not counting Maple Weekend sales (which are not happening this year). In fact this year has been better than even years with Maple Weekend except one. I'm not complaining, just observing the trend.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

I am a small producer selling enough to cover the costs of production. I have sold enough so far to cover about a third of my costs. If and when the farmers markets get started I hope to make enough to buy all the supplies I need for next year. I do sell to 1 local grocery store and his sales have been very good so far, may be a result of people cooking at home now. Although I would like to think it's the great product.

I agree. Folks are home and cooking

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mead Maple "It's for the kids..."
    Paul Cerminara
    2019 - First season ever
    -Goal: 3 gallons
    -Season Total: 7.5 gallons - pulled taps after running out of firewood and time
    Built 2'x8' Oil Fired with Thor drop flue pans
    -Goal: 20 gallons
    -Season Total: 55 gallons

My wife got quite a chuckle the other day... Reading an article about things to do while on Covid isolation.. One of the suggestions was to "learn a heritage skill, such as cooking or baking"...

Quote Originally Posted by wmick View Post
    My wife got quite a chuckle the other day... Reading an article about things to do while on Covid isolation.. One of the suggestions was to "learn a heritage skill, such as cooking or baking"...

Sounds like feeding oneself is becoming a heritage skill!
    60ish taps on buckets
    D&G Sportsman 18x63
    Turbo RB15 RO Bucket

Might be a good year to learn some gardening skills too.

I know the media is encouraging people to support take out. I would never think of eating anything someone else made at this point. Are the people preparing the food in good health?....Nope, we'll suffer at home with my cooking. Glad we had the back yard rototilled. Saves mowing. Hopefully this encourages folks to start putting in gardens and getvan idea of where food comes from. Using our syrup on alot of stuff. Tons of recipes on Pintrist.

I believe I sold more this Feb/Mar. than any other year too. I don't keep track on paper
    but in my head it seems people have really been carrying it off.
    I do self serve at the house and up until yesterday when the Gov shut Pennsylvania down
    I was always replenishing my cabinet. We'll see what the weekend brings, when the cabin folk start showing up.
    115 red maples on vacuum
    100 taps on 5/16 gravity
    35 taps on 3/16 gravity
    50 taps on shurflo vacuum
    about 60 buckets on giant roadside sugars
    neighbor bringing from 45 taps
    30'x 8' Aof/Auf Evaporator
    Homemade 125gph Ro
    Lots of Homemade Equipment!

http://s848.photobucket.com/albums/a...%20Sugarshack/

I sell from the house, by appointment only (this year). The customer calls and places the order. Then I instruct them to call again when they get to my driveway. At that point I set the syrup on the steps and have them place an envelope in my mailbox with the cash or check. They do and after they leave, I use nitrile gloves and get the envelope. In the house, the envelope is sprayed with a virucidal spray, turned and sprayed again. We don't even open the envelope until a week has passed. We then open it with gloves and spray the cash or check, both sides and let it set until fully dry. A paper is set by each envelope with the amount due and the customer's license plate number. So far no issues.
    Because of our age and the fact that my wife's white cell count is extremely low since she had Chemo and Radiation back in 2007 we have to be extra careful. There is no way she would survive if she got the virus.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

we put our mail, newspaper and cash or checks received in the oven 275 degrees for 10 minutes.
    http://www.northfamilyfarm.com

Tim
    2,500 taps on two pipelines
    Busch Vacuum Pump
    MES Three Phase Three Post RO
    2X10 Leader Vortex Max Flue pan, Enhanced Steamaway
    Electricity made with wind and solar

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast