+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Releaser hard on pump

Default Releaser hard on pump

I have a Lapierre vertical mechanical releaser 12” x18” It works flawless every year except for 1 thing.
    When it dumps it causes the vac pump to go down to 0 and freewheel then when the dump is done and flapper sucks back in it goes from pulling no vac to basically deadheading the pump. I spun 2 shafts on the vac pump the last couple years. Was able to fix them and strengthen them up so they don’t spin again. But it’s still pretty hard on the pump and motor.
    I was thinking of installing a vac line with a check valve to where the main lines come in to provide continuous vac. But when sap is running hard or when the vac is turned off this part of the releaser fills with sap sometimes full to the top untill vac in releaser matches the vac on the lines. Then it goes into the releaser.
    Gotta be an easy way to solve this.
    600 taps on vacuum
    Lapierre mechanical Releaser
    CDL electric releaser
    2.5 x 10 CDL Venturi ( new for the 2024 season )
    Home made modulating auto draw off
    Homemade RO 2 x 4" membranes
    CDL 16 x 16 bottler
    Wesfab 7" filter press
    Delaval 73 vacuum pumps

12 hives of bees

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Put a check-valve between the pump and releaser to prevent this.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

I have a brass swing check valve on the pump. Without it the pump will spin backwards when it shuts off.
    600 taps on vacuum
    CDL electric releaser
    CDL 16 x 16 bottler
    Wesfab 7" filter press
    Delaval 73 vacuum pumps

12 hives of bees

The way you describe it I don’t think your releaser is working properly.
    William
    950 taps
    3 X 12 Thor pans on a Brian Arch
    CDL 600 expandable

I agree with wiam. I never used a single mechanical releaser, both of mine have been doubles, but I doubt the design would be for what you describe. I advise you contact Lapierre, they should be able to trouble shoot on the phone.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

A also agree with Wiam. I had a single vertical for several years and it had two flaps. One on the bottom of the main chamber and one on the outlet of the mainline manifold. When the main chamber dumped the flapper on the outlet of the manifold would shut to hold vac on the mainlines. It seems like this is not happening in your case...
    About 750 taps on High Vac.
    2.5 x 8 Intens-O-Fire
    Airtech 3 hp LR Pump
    Springtech Elite 500 RO
    14 x 24 Timber Frame SugarHouse
    16 x 22 Sap Shed w/ 1500 gal. + 700 gal. tanks
    www.littlehogbackfarm.com

Is the vacuum in your top chamber going to 0? Sounds like you’re saying the vacuum on pump side of releaser is going to 0? If top chamber is holding vacuum then flappers are ok and the plunger either is not going full stroke or one of the o-rings could be bad.
    William
    950 taps
    3 X 12 Thor pans on a Brian Arch
    CDL 600 expandable

Top chamber holds vac 100%. Needle dosnt even move when it dumps. I took the plunger apart today and orings look perfect. Put a little food grade grease on them yo lube them up. Same thing. But releaser dumps perfectly.
    We have 1 more day to the season and I’ll be bringing it home and cleaning it. So I’ll fiddle with it then. I switched over to electric motors on the pumps this past couple weeks. So might look at getting an electric releaser for next year. See how it goes.
    600 taps on vacuum
    CDL electric releaser
    CDL 16 x 16 bottler
    Wesfab 7" filter press
    Delaval 73 vacuum pumps

12 hives of bees

Bricklayer - we have 2 of these releasers that used to run off SP22 pumps (now on an Airtech on high vac) and we never had the problem you described. The pump would spin backwards if you turned off the pump without releasing the vacuum first. If it's filling up to the top and basically backing up into the header where the mainlines come in maybe you need to adjust the ring with set screws that limits the travel of the float on the float rod? If it's set too high it will let the chamber fill up too much.
    4,600 Taps on vacuum
    9,400 gallons storage
    3 tower CDL RO
    3.5'x14' Lapierre Force 5
    Twitter & Instagram: @ennismaple
    www.ennismaple.com

Watched another exact same releaser yesterday do the exact same thing mine is doing
    I don’t think I explained the issue very well. So I’ll explain again.
    I have a delaval 73 running at 22” hg vac gauge then Check valve at the vac pump
    Vac line runs to releaser.
    2 x1” mainlines comming into upper releaser chamber.
    Vac level in upper chamber matches vac level on vac pump. And upper chamber needle does not move at all while releaser dumps. So flappers are working.
    When float trips the switch and releaser dumps the vac gauge on pump dosnt move.
    It’s when it’s finished dumping and the flapper closes and it switches back to applying vac to the main chamber is when the needle on the pump drops to 0 for a split second then hits back to 15hg then up to 22hg.
    I think this is what’s causing my pumps to break shafts. This hard hit multiplied over thousands of times through the season. The shafts never break at the start of season. Only usually towards end of season.
    600 taps on vacuum
    CDL electric releaser
    CDL 16 x 16 bottler
    Wesfab 7" filter press
    Delaval 73 vacuum pumps

12 hives of bees

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast