+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Arch tapper angle and dimensions?

Question Arch tapper angle and dimensions?

Hi Everyone,

First of all thank you for the add. New to the forum with very little experience in sugaring but if I can I'll try to help when it's relevant, if not I'll just listen.....

I will be making my own arch this year so I can add a few more taps next year without spending all my days and nights boiling, in other words I want to make a more efficient boiler.

The arch I'd like to build will have a tapper shape towards the back, so the flammes get trap right underneath the pan, my question it's how close the bottom of the arch from the pan should be as it gets closer to the chimney stack? Is there a limit?

I was thinking about 8" but this is just a wild guess. Is the closer the better?

Also I see that most fancier arch have a tapper fire box, V shape, meaning the bottom of the box is let say 14" and the top 20". Is there a reason why? does it make it more efficient?

I'm not sure if any of the above make sense so if not, sorry for the headache!

Thank you in advance,
    Seabast
    2017: 5 taps 2.5 qt
    2018: 11 taps 1.5 Gal.
    2019: 11 taps 2 Gal.
    2020: 11 taps 5 Gal.(19 liters) !

Need more info. What size do you plan on making? Most arches don't taper but have what they call a ramp. The ramp is designed to force the heat and flame closer to your pan as it moves towards the flue pipe. With only having a few taps we can only assume your not using a flue pan so ramp might not even be needed. Start by providing size of pans and amount of possible taps you're wanting to add.
    2x8 CDL raised flue w/ hoods
    SMOKY LAKE SS filter press
    825i JD gator
    400 taps and growing
    SL steam bottler
    250 CDL RO

Quote Originally Posted by asknupp View Post
    Need more info. What size do you plan on making? Most arches don't taper but have what they call a ramp. The ramp is designed to force the heat and flame closer to your pan as it moves towards the flue pipe. With only having a few taps we can only assume your not using a flue pan so ramp might not even be needed. Start by providing size of pans and amount of possible taps you're wanting to add.
    I'm planning to go to 20 taps next year and a few more afterward so I would rather make something that could handle more if needed.

I have in mind to use a 24" x 20" pan at the front of the boiler and a 20" x 36" at the back. I have no plan of using a flue pan anytime soon.

I start sketching the arch and the total length would be around 6.5'. A 20" (L) x 18" (W) fire box should be enough? I think it should give me enough space to put the wood both way.

The "Ramp" is what I'm questioning. How step the ramp should be and how close from the pan the flat after the ramp should be?

I read many thread in this forum last night and from what I read 8" seems to be a good start but maybe 5 or 6 is better?

Thanks for your time!

For flat pans I think the 5 inch dimension would be good to start with. You can make it tighter by adding some material if needed. like bricks or sand.
    Keep boiling!
    Regards,
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarmaker View Post
    For flat pans I think the 5 inch dimension would be good to start with. You can make it tighter by adding some material if needed. like bricks or sand.
    Keep boiling!
    Regards,
    Chris
    Thanks!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Seabast View Post
    I'm planning to go to 20 taps next year and a few more afterward so I would rather make something that could handle more if needed.

I have in mind to use a 24" x 20" pan at the front of the boiler and a 20" x 36" at the back. I have no plan of using a flue pan anytime soon.

I start sketching the arch and the total length would be around 6.5'. A 20" (L) x 18" (W) fire box should be enough? I think it should give me enough space to put the wood both way.

The "Ramp" is what I'm questioning. How step the ramp should be and how close from the pan the flat after the ramp should be?

I read many thread in this forum last night and from what I read 8" seems to be a good start but maybe 5 or 6 is better?

Thanks for your time!
    Since no one has called him out, I will. I think it needs to be known that (could handle more if needed) means (how much my wife lets me get away with).

Back to you guys for the other info 😀

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mead Maple "It's for the kids..."
    Paul Cerminara
    2019 - First season ever
    -Goal: 3 gallons
    -Season Total: 7.5 gallons - pulled taps after running out of firewood and time
    Built 2'x8' Oil Fired with Thor drop flue pans
    -Goal: 20 gallons
    -Season Total: 55 gallons

Quote Originally Posted by Mead Maple View Post
    Since no one has called him out, I will. I think it needs to be known that (could handle more if needed) means (how much my wife lets me get away with).

Back to you guys for the other info 😀

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'm lucky that way because she has seen her dad over the years going from 5 to 60+ taps so she has already told me what curve my future sugar harvesting adventure is going to look like.
    I obviously told her it would not happen to me

+ Reply to Thread