+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Syrup color

Default Syrup color

Hello,
    I just boiled my first batch of the year this weekend (located in Northern MN) and ended up with almost a gallon of syrup which is a pretty good haul for me. This is my 4th year doing syrup on my own. The finished product this year looks a lot lighter and almost cloudy compared to what I've done in the last few years. This years batch is on the left and last years is the darker, clearer stuff on the right. Would you guys consider my current batch (on the left) to be cloudy? Or how would you classify that color and clarity? Is it good? poor?

Maple Syrup 2020 batch 1.jpg

I'm sure the experts will start asking questions like: did you make proper density (hydrometer, temperature compensated)? What was your filtering method? What kind of filter do you use? Pre-filters, how many? Did you heat the glass jars before bottling (or not)? It is very typical to make light syrup at the beginning of a season.
    2023: Award Winning Maple Syrup and Honey!
    2023: 200 Taps on 3/16" "natural vac"
    2022: 150 Taps on 3/16" "natural vac"
    2022: Lapierre Vision 2x6 with Preheater & Marcland Autodraw
    2022: Brand new post and beam sugar house
    2022: 4"x40" RO
    Kubota L4701, Kubota BX2380
    2 Black Rescue Dogs, 2 Livestock Guardian Dogs, Many Bee Hives, A Flock of Icelandic Chickens
    30 Acres of Wooded Bliss
    vikingmadeforge: Artist Blacksmithing & Bladesmithing
    https://blackdogbeesandmapletrees.com

How does it taste on pancakes? You did good!
    Keep boiling!
    Regards,
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

Quote Originally Posted by 30AcreWoods View Post
    I'm sure the experts will start asking questions like: did you make proper density (hydrometer, temperature compensated)? What was your filtering method? What kind of filter do you use? Pre-filters, how many? Did you heat the glass jars before bottling (or not)? It is very typical to make light syrup at the beginning of a season.
    I boiled to 218 degrees (I'm at approx 1,000 ft elevation) - I've never used a hydrometer but will make that change one of these years... I filtered with the main heavy duty twice; once after the outdoor wood fired boil was boiled down enough to bring inside, and the second time I filtered right after I hit 218 and before I bottled. I also use prefilters to filter the sap before its boiled and I also stick 2 prefilters in with the main heavy duty filter when filtering the syrup. Yes I did heat the glass jars before filling.

Would you guys consider my last batch (lighter stuff on the left in pic) to be cloudy? All of my batches since I've started doing this, both early and late season, turned out almost that exact same darker, clearer color on the right. I've never really had to deal with "cloudy" sap or syrup before, so I guess my question is would you guys consider this to be cloudy syrup? For the record, it tastes great
    Last edited by jwmiller; 03-30-2020 at 11:20 AM.

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Syrup color can vary quite a bit day-to-day, season-to-season, and even within a day. Nothing to really be concerned about.

It is not that unusual for syrup to be a little hazy/cloudy when using a cone filter. It may clear up some as the very fine niter settles out over time.

Enjoy it!
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

A lot of folks on here have noted that there are fine niter issues this season. I'd go with taste, though. If it tastes good, then it IS good! You'll hear a lot about heating vs. not heating glass jars, etc. I bottled some in glass on Saturday and had some fine bubble foam in half of them - it tends to happen with the darker syrup for me. Let those jars sit for a few days and see if the fine stuff settles to the bottom. At 1,000 ft, depending on the pressure, you may be a bit heavy at 218. But really, just make some pancakes and waffles and enjoy all the hard work!
    2 Black Rescue Dogs, 2 Livestock Guardian Dogs, Many Bee Hives, A Flock of Icelandic Chickens
    30 Acres of Wooded Bliss

Quote Originally Posted by 30AcreWoods View Post
    At 1,000 ft, depending on the pressure, you may be a bit heavy at 218.
    When you say a bit heavy, you mean cooked for too long/too high of a temp? I had 2 different digital thermometers in the pot while I was doing the finishing boiling. I pulled it off the stove when one of the thermometers hit 218 but the 2nd one was still at 216.

Yes, I mean cooked a bit too long - but you would have to know the barometric pressure. If you search on here you will find a link or two to correction tables for boiling point of water with a given barometric pressure. Sometimes even 217 is too hot. There are also a few apps out there that will do the same for syrup. I think if you make syrup a lot, or want to make a lot of syrup, it's worth having a hydrometer - in my opinion. I have accurate thermometers on my evaporator (I boil water and calibrate them, or calibrate them in an ice bath), and still it is hard to pull syrup off using only the thermometers. And the same goes for finishing in the kitchen. But again, that is just my experience.
    30 Acres of Wooded Bliss

I am at 700 feet elevation and Sunday morning when I was finishing my last batch of syrup the boiling point of water was 208. When I hit 216 my syrup was at proper density as checked with a hydrometer.
    2016-First year
    17 Taps
    Block arch & steam pans
    About 1 1/2 gallons
    2017-20 taps
    About 3 gallons
    2018-13 taps
    Same Block arch & steam pans (modified arch & pans)
    2019-12 taps (keep losing trees)
    2020-Brand new Smokey Lake StarCat evaporator, about 15 taps.
    43.62N 87.78W

I am at 850 ft and had the same thing happen on Saturday.
    30 Acres of Wooded Bliss

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast