+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Gear pump vs diaphragm pump for filter press

Default Gear pump vs diaphragm pump for filter press

Looking upgrade my hobby filter press. Anyone have experience with gear vs diaphragm syrup pumps. Also wondering if the Air diaphragm pumps require a compressor?
    Thanks in advance for your help.
    Mike Hughson
    Hobby setup first 4 years
    2016 85 taps new 2 X 6 drop flue evaporator
    2017 18 X 24 timberframe sugar shack.

Yes, you need a compressor to run an air powered diaphragm pump. On my filter press Initially I had a gear pump, but when it needed rebuilding I changed to an air powered diaphragm pump. You get far more control with the diaphragm pump. I run mine using a small pancake compressor. My compressor does fine and it's only a .8 HP motor on it. This is what I use https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...gaAl2eEALw_wcB
    I like the diaphragm pump far better.
    Last edited by maple flats; 04-02-2020 at 04:47 PM.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

We have a 7” Wesfab with a gear pump. Works perfectly fine but a diaphragm pump is nice. Like mapleflats did, when it is time rebuild that pump we will go with a diaphragm. They are just very expensive. If you want to save a few bucks, nothing wrong with the gear pumps.
    305 taps on 2 Shurflo's, 31 taps on 3/16" and 229 taps on gravity. 565 in all
    Mountain Maple S3 controller for 145 of the vacuum taps
    2x6 Darveau Mystique Oil Fired Evaporator w/ Smoky Lake Simplicity Auto Draw
    Wesfab 7” filter press

If you are buying a brand new press get one with a diaphragm pump on it. Gear pumps are being phased out and a press with a diaphragm pump will be easier to sell when it's time to upgrade again. I put a diaphragm pump on a hand pump press that I used to have and really liked it. I replaced that press with a full stack press with a diaphragm pump and love it. It's easy to control and there's no messy bypass hose to deal with. I use a 3 hp oilless contractors compressor to run mine.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

Thanks guys for your input.
    One more question, I know with cone/wool filters and pre filters they work better if warmed and moist. Do you do the same with press filters?

Russ
    Do you remember which air pump you bought for your hand press. I have a Maple Guys Mini Jet press that the motor won’t move the syrup with any amount of DE in it. It comes with a little magnetic beer pump. I want to replace it so it works again before I sell it to upgrade.
    Mike Hughson
    Hobby setup first 4 years
    2016 85 taps new 2 X 6 drop flue evaporator
    2017 18 X 24 timberframe sugar shack.

We switched this year from a 1/2" gear pump to a 1/2" diaphragm pump and have found that we have trouble getting more than 30 gallons through before changing while we used to get 60. We have a ten inch press and use DE per the Guidelines Leader has on their Website.

It could be that there's more niter this year as I've seen large flakes (some as big as a 50 cent piece) of it in the syrup pan after a 4 hour boil that I've never seen before.
    3,100 taps
    60 cfm flood
    HC2
    5 by 14 oil

Brian

Mike I bought a Yamada 1/2" pump for my hand pump press. I don't remember the model number but do remember that it had Teflon diaphragms. I have since replaced that press with a larger press that also has an air pump on it. That pump is a 1/2" Wilden pump.

Brian I had a lot of trouble with nitre this year for all but the last two boils. I had trouble getting 20 gallons through my 7" full stack with a 1/2" air pump. It would do it but the pressure would be spiking up to 80 psi. The last two boils went right through and the pressure never went above 30 psi.

I don't know if it was the nitre or if it was the filter aid. I struggled with nitre, or so I thought all of last season too. If I remember right I started a new bag of Diatomite filter aid that I bought at Bascom's at the beginning of last season. I bought a new bag of Diatomite filter aid from Sunnyside Maples toward the end of this season and started using it on those last two boils when filtering got easier. Thoughts?
    Last edited by Russell Lampron; 04-02-2020 at 08:59 AM.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

used a gear pump for 20 years on D&G 5 bay filter press, pump finally gave up the ghost, it will still pump just can't build pressure to get syrup thru filter press, so we just got an air diaphragm pump, even when the gear pump was brand new it could not get syrup thru the filter press like the diaphragm pump, 22 year syrup producer votes for air pump!

Mark 220 Maple
    1100 taps on low vaccum, 900 on gravity.
    900 plus taps leased and on high vacuum
    35 cfm Indiana Liquid Ring Vacuum Pump
    80% Sugar, 20% Red MAPLES
    http://s247.photobucket.com/albums/g...Maple%20Syrup/

Hands down, go air. Started with a gear pump, when it failed went to a air pump (bought from H2O) way more control and easy to us. Also works great pumping barrels out.
    54 Acres bought in Sept 2010, hope for a lot of fun
    Kabota 3400 w/ bucket
    couple Husky chainsaws and a couple of Stihl
    Big dream
    2011 = 106 on gravity tubing, 100 bucket
    2012 =700 vaccuum 100 gravity 80 bucket's
    30" x 12' Vortex with Leader Revolution Max Raised pans
    2013 = 1200 vac, 200 gravity, 5 buckets, buying from 300 buckets, 500 vac
    Springtech RO 600 Deluxe
    2015= 1800 all vac @ home, buying sap from 1200.
    2017= 2200 all on vac. no longer buying sap

Besides that, brass gear pumps are no longer legal to use (Since Jan 2020), if going with a gear pump it now needs to be SS. The cost of those SS pumps are right up with an air diaphragm pump and the diaphragm gives you far easier control.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

+ Reply to Thread