+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Syrup pan popping and spouting up syrup

Ive had the same thing...kind of. Some days I'll notice the popping noise and i can see syrup jump just a bit. Ive never had it make a mess or cause a problem though. Sometimes it does it but most of the time not. I drain and filter my sweet after every boil and clean the pan too. I also brush excess soot from the bottom of the pan. I always thought it was weather related. Just like some days boil better than others.
    RC Maple

14X14 sugarhouse - new for 2012
    RO Bucket - RB10 - New for 2019
    2x3 barrel evaporator with continuous flow pan
    55 taps - most on buckets
    This is next year!

The mystery is fascinating....I was thinking nitre build up-NO- soot-Maybe-dirty syrup-Maybe-Propane flame poorly impacting the pan-Maybe--for sure is it irregular heating, hot spots caused by something.
    Keep us posted on your solution
    Jeff Emerson
    www.emersonsmaplehill.com
    3x12 Leader with over air, custom piggyback, 600gph CDL RO
    2500 on 25" vacuum
    350 4 wheeler, 500 snowmobile, and 1950's Ford 600 tractor, Husqvarna! (261, 372xpBigBore, 562xp), Stihl MS193 for in tree work

So today I cleaned my pan up and rinsed it with permeate as usual. But this time I dried it completely and then I dumped my concentrate in until I got to the bottom bit that was thick with nitre. This I filtered and dumped into the flue pan. Fired up...AND NO POPPING OR SPOUTING SYRUP! So its either the water in the pan from washing or the nitre floating around in the concentrate but pretty sure it’s the later. So mystery solved I think. Thanks for all the help and suggestions!
    Maple Rock Farm
    www.Maplerockfarm.ca
    400 taps on Vacuum
    18”x60” Lapierre propane evaporator with Smokey Lake auto draw off
    Homemade 3 post RO with MES membranes
    Ford TS110 tractor sap hauler

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12