+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Syrup pan popping and spouting up syrup

Default Syrup pan popping and spouting up syrup

Looking for some help. I’m boiling on a 18x60 Lapierre evaporator on a propane arch. Been working good all season. Now the last 2 or 3 boils it’s started doing something strange and I can seem to figure out why. When I fire it up and it starts to boil, the syrup pan makes a sound like popcorn popping and it shoots spouts of syrup up in the air. It does this for the first hour or 2 and then it seems to go away. Don’t remember it doing this at the start of the season. Makes an awful mess because the syrup goes all over the place and runs down the side of the pan. I’m at a loss as to why this is happening. I’ve turned heat up and down. Tried running pan deeper and shallower but doesn’t seem to make much difference. An ideas?
    Maple Rock Farm
    www.Maplerockfarm.ca
    400 taps on Vacuum
    18”x60” Lapierre propane evaporator with Smokey Lake auto draw off
    Homemade 3 post RO with MES membranes
    Ford TS110 tractor sap hauler

Maybe sugarsand in the pan?
    Regards,
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

Pan is spotless. I clean it every day. In fact I thought it was maybe the fact that the pan was slightly warped so went and bought another syrup pan. New pan does the same. Really strange.
    Maple Rock Farm
    www.Maplerockfarm.ca
    400 taps on Vacuum

This used to happen to me on my last evaporator. Usually mid to late season after the pan had been sweetened up. The only thing I could figure was either soot build up on the underside of the pan, or.....starting out with concentrate that is really sweet. Hasn’t happened to me this year on the new rig so I’m just taking a stab at what what it might be based on my past boils. I used to put a lid on my syrup pan till it worked past the popping and spitting.
    2x8 Smokey Lake Silverplate raised flue
    Around 250 taps mostly on 3/16" and a few on buckets
    CDL Hobby 250 RO
    Lean-to for the sugar shack
    Chainsaws, wood splitter and tractor for more good times

Quote Originally Posted by HillsideMaple View Post
    This used to happen to me on my last evaporator. Usually mid to late season after the pan had been sweetened up. The only thing I could figure was either soot build up on the underside of the pan, or.....starting out with concentrate that is really sweet. Hasn’t happened to me this year on the new rig so I’m just taking a stab at what what it might be based on my past boils. I used to put a lid on my syrup pan till it worked past the popping and spitting.
    Yeah that sounds exactly like what mine is doing. I’ve been doing the same, putting a lid on it to keep it from making too much of a mess. Took about an hour today and then it was fine. Wasn’t doing it at the start of the year so wondering if it has something to do with the state of the sap and concentrate....it’s weird. I had the same evaporator only a size smaller for many years before this and don’t ever recall it happening with it.
    Maple Rock Farm
    www.Maplerockfarm.ca
    400 taps on Vacuum

I had something like this happen a few times this year in my syrup pan. I have an older soldered pan. We figured that after cleaning the pan there was a bit of water that worked it way into the seams and was boiling and popping a bit until it evaporated. Never made a mess like yours though.
    Camp Wokanda
    Peoria Park District

2023 - 210 on 3/16 shurflo, sap storage shack w/ 1100 gallon tank - 123 gallons
    2022 - 210 on 3/16 shurflo, homemade vac filter & water jacket canner - 104 gallons
    2021 - 215 on 3/16 shurflo, added 2nd membrane to RO - 78 gallons
    2020 - 210 on 3/16 shurflo, upgraded hp pump on RO - 66 gallons
    2019 - 150 on 3/16 shurflo, Deer Run 125 dolly RO - 73 gallons
    2018 - 120 on 3/16 shurflo, 2x6 raised flue w/hood, homemade arch w/ AUF & AOF - 34.5 gallons

We cleaned out our evaporator last weekend and I was finishing off the syrup on propane. My 16”x16” pan was bouncing and popping in the burner, dangerous. We ended up filtering off the hot near-up and putting it back on. Pretty much solved the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by marlmucker View Post
    We cleaned out our evaporator last weekend and I was finishing off the syrup on propane. My 16”x16” pan was bouncing and popping in the burner, dangerous. We ended up filtering off the hot near-up and putting it back on. Pretty much solved the problem.
    This kinda makes sense. I drain my syrup pan after each boil, Soak and clean it, and then dump the concentrate back into the pan when I start my next boil. I wonder if it’s the loose nitre floating around that’s causing it. And once it settles to the bottom it stops. I’ll try filtering it before I start and see what happens.
    Maple Rock Farm
    www.Maplerockfarm.ca
    400 taps on Vacuum

I’m almost certain that’s what’s happening. I do/did same thing typically. This was the first time the popping happeneded that bad. We filtered it only through felt and it was enough so we could start boiling again.

My evaporator has been doing the same thing the last few boils. It seems to be because of the sugar sand we filter the sweet and wash the pan every night. However we still get the popping, the syrup just seems to have a lot of niter once warmed up it is better.
    Jeff

470 taps
    Torr Vac TV40D High Vac with Lapierre Horizontal releaser
    Leader 2x6 Patriot raised flue
    Leader 2x4 Steamaway
    Wildfire arch
    MES Dolly 300 3 post RO
    DG 7" 5 bank filter press
    and still lookin to get bigger

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast