+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New hydrometer owner

Dr. Tim , thanks for the YouTube link. This helps settle my mind. Thinking that I am on the right track. I start checking at 219* with the hydrometer and continue each one degree until it floated at the hot test line. Guessing that all these years I should have boiled my sap just a little while longer.
    I will also be keeping the cup hanging in my finishing kettle.
    jrgagne99 thanks for your advice about hanging the cup in the kettle. I will be doing that in the future. Again thanks for ALL the help and advice.
    Tim
    2013 after many years finally worked my way to 30 taps , new oil tank arch .
    loving the sweet life

I finish my syrup on a turkey fryer. I fill the cup 2-3 times before using the hydrometer. From what I have read the syrup will cool in the cup to 211 deg. If I would put a thermometer in the cup before the hydrometer would the sap cool too much before I use the hydrometer. Maybe what I will do is use a smaller pot to finish with so I can put my thermometer in it and test at 219 deg. I only do small batches. I had one batch 2 years ago that crystallized so I am alittle gunshy.

I also finish on propane. I hang my cup over the lip of the evaporator too. I have stuck a probe in my cup while reading and it varies from 208-211. so I do all my syrup a tad on the heavy side and then check it at room temp. when it not changing. I rarely have to adjust. Most of the time it's just a little on the heavy side by like .1-.2 brix
    125-150 taps
    Smokey Lakes Full pint Hybrid pan
    Modified half pint arch
    Air over fire
    All 3/16 tubing
    Southern Ohio

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12