+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New hydrometer owner

Default New hydrometer owner

Bought my first hydrometer the other day and I have read many threads about hydrometers here. I still have a question. I finish on propane , bring the temp to 219*. Do I check it then or let it cool down to 211*? The "hot test" line says 211*. I finished a batch the other day and started checking at 219*. The temp was 221*-222* when the "hot test" line settled at the syrup level in the hydrometer cup. This syrup was super sweet and thick. Many you tubers did it this way. Which would be the correct way.
    2013 after many years finally worked my way to 30 taps , new oil tank arch .
    loving the sweet life

dadtkm,
    Sounds like your doing it right! Sweet and thick. Are you checking the temp in the cup with the hydrometer in hot syrup? I was never good at that, or never even tried it. just used a hydrometer or thermometer for years. But with the Murphy cup it helps get the correct density at any syrup temp. Also good to calibrate your temp indicators in boiling water occasionally to see where they read too.
    Keep boiling!
    Regards,
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

Did not check temp in the cup.
    loving the sweet life

Best is to fill the cup once or twice dump it out and then check with the hydrometer. Do it right from the finisher at 219-220, the cup will rob some heat from the syrup and you'll be close to 211. I like to cold check some of my syrup at room temperature before I bottle. It's stable temp. then and you can be sure your right on. There are charts that show what the hydrometer should read at certain temps.

Here is a link that helps. https://www.leaderevaporator.com/pdf...hydrometer.pdf
    125-150 taps
    Smokey Lakes Full pint Hybrid pan
    Modified half pint arch
    Air over fire
    All 3/16 tubing
    Southern Ohio

That's the beauty of the Murphy Cup. However, it certainly is not necessary to get an actual hydrometer reading. As said above, fill the test cup 2x, and dump it back into the hot syrup, on the 3rd time, lower the hydrometer into the hot syrup. By then what was at 219-220 will be at 211 most likely. Never drop the hydrometer into the test cup. If dropped even once, it is possible that the paper scale in the tube will get slid a little, rendering the hydrometer inaccurate. Good luck! Enjoy good syrup.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Thanks for the replies and the advice. I did double dip the cup and slowly lower the hydrometer (preheated) into the syrup as suggested. I have made syrup for a lot of years but with a thermometer and it was always thinner. Thinking now that maybe I need to buy someone else's for comparison. Thanks again, just needed a little reassurance.
    loving the sweet life

Buckeye gold , thanks for the leader evaporator link. This is probably the best information of all that I read.
    loving the sweet life

Don't mean to hyjack this thread. I have been following this thread as I only use a hydrometer. I fill the cup 2-3 times then put the hydrometer in it. If it floats on the hot line I call it good. I never have checked the temp in the cup as everything seems to cool really quick. The syrup seams alittle thin but if I cook it longer I get some crystals. Do I need to check the temp or is the hydrometer good? We jar it up at 185 deg. We are micro producers and really just do it for fun and give it away.

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

mdm1

Unless you take your hydrometer reading almost immediately from syrup HOT off the evaporator (after preheating the hydrometer cup with hot syrup right off the pan), then your density is incorrect. If it is cooler than right off the evaporator (canning temperatures), and you're using the hot (red) line on your hydrometer, your syrup will be low density.

At any OTHER temperature than HOT (211 deg F), you need to measure the temperature and use a correction chart to adjust the density reading to actual density. That may be why you think your syrup is a bit thin. If you pack at 185 deg F, but use the hydrometer HOT test, it will not be dense enough.

https://www.leaderevaporator.com/pdf...hydrometer.pdf

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYAE...9&index=4&t=0s

A Murphy Cup or Float does the "correction" calculation for temperature automatically.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

Quote Originally Posted by mdm1 View Post
    ... I fill the cup 2-3 times then put the hydrometer in it. If it floats on the hot line I call it good....
    As long as you're filling it 2-3 times with boiling "syrup" you are fine. I leave my cup hanging over the edge of the syrup pan so it is constantly directly exposed to steam and always ready to make a measurement. No pre-filling required.
    Boulder Trail Sugaring
    150 Taps on Vacuum
    Homemade 20"x40" Hybrid Pan - 15 gph
    Homemade Steamaway - 10 gph
    Waterguys single-post RO

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast