+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2" pump on 1.5" hose?

Default 2" pump on 1.5" hose?

I currently use a Honda WX15 to pump sap to the sugarhouse through a 1.5" line. It is slow. I'd like to go to a Honda WB20 but it has a 2" port. Is it possible to use a 2" pump on a 1.5" line? I'm sure the output won't be the same but as long as it's a significant improvement over what I'm doing now, it would be worth it. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by drewlamb View Post
    I currently use a Honda WX15 to pump sap to the sugarhouse through a 1.5" line. It is slow. I'd like to go to a Honda WB20 but it has a 2" port. Is it possible to use a 2" pump on a 1.5" line? I'm sure the output won't be the same but as long as it's a significant improvement over what I'm doing now, it would be worth it. Thanks.
    Yes it will work with no problems. A 1-1/2 inch pipe can handle 3000+ gph. Your Honda pump would never reach that.

Spud

I use a Red Lion 2" pump into a 1 1/2" hose and it works good. I used to use a Honda WX 10 into a 1" hose and it took forever to pump 100 gallons. The 2" pump takes minutes to do 100 gallons.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

I picked up a Pacer pump rated for 150 gph from Runnings for 269.00. It has a Briggs motor. I use a 1 1/2" hose on a 2" pump works well. You can throttle the pump down as well.

A 2" pump on 1.5" hose will work fine, you however will not get as much flow as you would with 2" hose because of line friction. Just a guess, but you would actually get quite a bit faster flow by just using the 1.5" pump with 2" hose because of less line friction.
    Years ago I grew strawberries and my irrigation pump was a 3" Hale fire pump, but the irrigation company had me use a 4" suction line and a 4" pressure line from the pump until after the first two legs off the mainline for better flow. At the time they told me I would get the necessary 60 PSI pressure on almost 2x the sprinklers by having the 4" pipe for that distance to 2 branch line off.
    Last edited by maple flats; 03-25-2020 at 09:24 AM.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

How long is your 1.5 line that you pump through. We trash pump through a 300ft 1.5in line and it slows pump down, in hind sight i should have put in 2in line.

+ Reply to Thread