+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Casbohm Maple and Honey 2020 and beyond......

Chris,
    New building looks really good. Since I don't have a hood I used sealed lights with just the new energy saver lightbulb. I also have a 140' sting of LED lights that is contacted with the blower on the evaporator. Reminds me to turn the blower off before adding wood.
    2004 - 2012 2x3 flat pan 25 to 60 taps
    2012 2x3 new divided pan w/draw off 55 taps
    2018 - didn't boil surgery - bought new evaporator
    2019 new SML 2x4 raised flue high output evap. 65 taps
    made 17 gal. syrup
    2020 - only put out 53 taps - made 16.25 ga.l syrup
    2021 - Didn't work out
    2022 - 25 taps on bags / 8 taps on 3/16's line - late start

Great build! When I built mine 5 years ago I used ones similar to these. They weren’t this expensive, but they are great because they come on bright no matter the temperature, including below zero, and take little electricity, and put out a lot of light. Also, didn’t take many of them to light up my sugarhouse.
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/Metalux-...8040/305053569
    Sugaring for 45+ years
    New Sugarhouse 14'x32'
    New to Me Algier 2'x8' wood fired evaporator
    2022 added a used RB25 RO Bucket
    250 mostly Sugar Maples, 15% Soft Maples. Currently,(110on 3/16" and 125 on Shurflo 4008 vacuum, 15 gravity), (16,000 before being disabled)
    1947 Farmall H and Wagon with gathering tank
    2012 Kubota with forks to move wood around

I don’t have a sugar shack but I just put some of those led lights that have 3 paddles on them in my pole barn. They work much better than any 4’ work light I have used.
    Steve

SE Pennsylvania

2022 - 13 taps, RO5, 21”x24” SS pan with pre-warmer pan, backyard made wood fired 55gal drum stove - 17.25
    2021 - 18 taps, RO5, 21”x24” SS pan with pre-warmer pan, backyard made wood fired 55gal drum stove - 12 pints
    2020 - 13 taps, RO5, backyard made wood fired 55gal drum stove with 2 lg 6” deep pans - 6.75 pints (very warm winter)
    2019 Rookie Season - 14 taps, RO5, turkey fryer with 6” deep pan - 16.5 pints

Thanks guys! Working on a antique forklift for the shop.
    Thinking of using portions of the shop for the Taste and Tour event also. Not sure yet. May not have the heat in the floor by mid March?

I have pallets and containers to place at 30 roadside locations.
    Regards,
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

Folks,
    Considering closing off a portion of my back room kitchen area and having it so I could make my value added products in there in more comfort, (warmer). Last couple of years I have had to bring supplies into the house because it was too cold in the sugarhouse kitchen. Jim (Father and Son) was over and checked out the plan and thought it was a good plan.
    Well I need to get some 2x4's and start the process of building a wall and putting in some type of door.
    Always some type of improvement that can be made in the sugaring operation!
    Temp is 22F good to have some good freezes. Not sure we are going to get much hard frost in the ground before it warms? Will have to start watching the forecast a little more too.
    About 3 weeks away from normal tapping time.
    Regards,
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    Too many Cub Cadets

www.mapleandhoney.com

10 day forecast looks like the last weekend in January is going to be it for the cold days. I spent the last little warmup we had getting things organized and ready. 15 out of 18 of my trees are new to me this year, so I'm anxious to see how the season pans out... literally.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryne View Post
    10 day forecast looks like the last weekend in January is going to be it for the cold days. I spent the last little warmup we had getting things organized and ready. 15 out of 18 of my trees are new to me this year, so I'm anxious to see how the season pans out... literally.
    New trees. If you start on buckets or single containers then you can see how each trees is doing. I set up 5 new trees 2 years ago on short run tubing and was extremely disappointed. Not sure which ones were the bad ones? The line got moved to some trees on my route that are better.
    Good luck with your season! Thanks for the update on the forecast too. I really have not been looking at it at all. Head down working on non maple things in the shop. Like a 50 year old forklift!
    I do need to get some things ready in the sugarhouse and in the sugarbush. But today is 20F may be a challange to get much done.
    My evaporator needs to be put together. Things like steam stack attachment. float boxes to be set in place. Draw off equipment to be set up. Sap containers to be moved. Get the wood shed ready. Flues need cleaned. Then a goo rinsing of the pans too. General clean up too. Sure is nice not to have misc lawn equipment stored in there this year!

Anyone out there have a Marcland old style plunger draw off on both sides of there pans? I had an idea of buying another one and then I could change sides just a little easier?? May not be worth the effort??

Regards,
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    Too many Cub Cadets

www.mapleandhoney.com

Chris,
    Give Bob Crooks a call. He might have a plunger valve.
    1-518-532-7922

Jim
    12 x 16 Sugarhouse, 12 x 16 Woodshed
    2 x 8 “The Mutt” Evaporator with Marcland Drawoff
    Leader oil fired arch, Dallaire raised flue, Smoky Lake syrup pan and hoods with pre-heater
    New Leader Clear Filter Press/Air Diaphragm Pump
    5” Hand Pump Filter Press from Daryl-One of the first three! On loan to a friend.
    Deer Run 250 gal/hr RO
    A Very Understanding Wife
    "At any time during the day you're only 10 seconds from disaster!"

I'm thinking about pulling the trigger this weekend and tap for buckets. SO FAR it looks like a warm-up next week. What's everyone else doing?

Humm? I knew it would happen someday! Need to look at the forecast. Was near zero last night. Its going to take sevaral days for trees to thaw.
    Thanks for the warning.
    I did pick up some insulation material for adding to the walls in the sugarhouse kitchen. Too many irons in the fire right now. Don't feel like I have time to make syrup but will need some to satisfy customers if that come this year??
    Here is the insulation. Thanks to Matt the maple guy. And the unit unloading it is the first winter project in the shop.

Getting some Maple Mustard ready for the Maple event less than a month away.

Just looked at the forecast. Well if you can believe it, there looks like warming weather starting a week from today in our area. Your mileage may vary. Might have to tap soon.
    Regards,
    Chris
    Last edited by Sugarmaker; 02-17-2021 at 11:26 AM.
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    Too many Cub Cadets

www.mapleandhoney.com

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast