+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 18 of 18

Thread: Disappointed in my homemade RO and need advice

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Murrysville, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    104

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DRoseum View Post
    I run two 400 gpd membranes on the aquatec 8852 pump at 100 psi without a problem.
    Should have been more specific. My first 2 membranes are in parallel. I agree that you should be able to get this working.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Cromwell, MN
    Posts
    36

    Default

    I can stop the flow of concentrate but when I do that the permeate is also reduced. For some reason I seem to get the best volume flow of the permeate when I run a 25/75 split. If I go higher than that the volume decreases from a weak stream to a steady fast drip.

    The 50/50 split works for a bit but within 10 mins they are no longer matching and the permeate is back to a drip. At this point I usually open the needle valve all the way to try and flush the system out which seems to help.
    2017 - 45 taps on buckets 260gal sap 6gal syrup
    2018 - 92 taps on bags

    All boiled on a homemade 2x5 fuel oil evaporator using 6 steam pans

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Murrysville, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    104

    Default

    Are you able to post a picture of the plumbing coming out of the membranes?

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Upper Valley, NH
    Posts
    109

    Default

    Something isn't adding up here...

    This is a long shot and I'm virtually certain isn't the issue, but have you tried to move up to a 3/8" line where the two 1/4" permeate lines come off the bottom of the membranes? Use a 1/4"x1/4" x 3/8" wye.

    Also, not all needle valves are created equal, I've learned. Some of them leak a bit at the valve assembly. Do you hear any hissing around the needle valve when it is cranked down to 50/50?
    110 Taps on 3/16" "natural vac"
    Leader Half-Pint Supreme with AUF
    Souped-up RO Bucket
    3 Black Rescue Dogs
    A Dozen Bee Hives
    A Flock of Icelandic Chickens
    30 Acres of Wooded Bliss
    https://blackdogbeesandmapletrees.com

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    51

    Default

    Pull your two permeate outlets and measure their flow independently. Even at 100psi you should be running better than you are. At this point I would suspect your membranes are bad. Use 30acres suggestion and go to a 3/8” line as well.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Cromwell, MN
    Posts
    36

    Default

    Update

    Things are running quite a bit smoother now after 2 days of use. Initially I was recirculating my concentrate but I found that running fresh sap in one pass was giving me 4% con and a much better permeate flow. Additionally, I also found out that my helper used a small amount of olive oil to lube the filter when putting it in the membrane. I知 guessing this oil caused some of the issues but is now flushed out. It also makes sense why I知 seeing improvements over time.
    2017 - 45 taps on buckets 260gal sap 6gal syrup
    2018 - 92 taps on bags

    All boiled on a homemade 2x5 fuel oil evaporator using 6 steam pans

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Upper Valley, NH
    Posts
    109

    Default

    You might want to try an acid wash and then a soap wash/rinse. I bet you will see some really great improvements.
    110 Taps on 3/16" "natural vac"
    Leader Half-Pint Supreme with AUF
    Souped-up RO Bucket
    3 Black Rescue Dogs
    A Dozen Bee Hives
    A Flock of Icelandic Chickens
    30 Acres of Wooded Bliss
    https://blackdogbeesandmapletrees.com

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Lancaster NH
    Posts
    90

    Default

    I use the same pump with 4, 150 gpd membranes in series , I get up to 140 psi on freshly cleaned membranes , and 8% concentrate . I would think you should get better than 4%. I have .25 inch tubing on every thing. Check your prefilter I change after every run which might be 2-300 gallons. Try cleaning as described elsewhere on maple trader I bet it will help. My sap averages 2.2%
    44 27'08/71 27'56
    300 totalish taps 250 on tube and bosworth sap sucker
    50 bucket and bags about 40-50 gallons a season
    on a 2 by 7 home made evaporator and sugar shack
    1st gen circa 1966 still learning stuff

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts