+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: C-19 Virus and selling syrup.

I just talked to Chuck Hanes and he said that Roth's is not buying at this time.
    Smoky Lake 2x6 dropflu pans and hoods on homemade arch
    Smoky Lake 6 gallon water jacked bottler
    Concentric Exhaust
    250 Deer Run RO
    325 taps

Quote Originally Posted by ecolbeck View Post
    People who compare COVID-19 to the flu are missing the point. Yes the flu kills many thousands. However it’s the rate at which this particular Coronavirus spreads (it’s more contagious than flu) and it’s higher death rate that are causing the issues. Hospitals were never overwhelmed by the flu but that is a major concern with Coronavirus. Look at Europe’s struggles. Most reasonable people would prefer that government overreact than under react in this situation. You can pretend that you are smarter than everybody else, but the sad truth is that you’re not.
    Very well said. Thank you also Thompson tree for answering my original question. Due to the fear of this virus it could indeed hurt the maple industry. I’m hoping the packers will be able to buy all the bulk that is produced.

Fred- your two comments back to back totally contradict each other.

Spud

Quote Originally Posted by Super Sapper View Post
    I just talked to Chuck Hanes and he said that Roth's is not buying at this time.
    This was my concern and the concern of other large producers. Thanks for responding.

Spud

Quote Originally Posted by spud View Post
    ...With maple being a non essential item...

Spud

Whoa whoa whoa, what's this about non-essential?!
    -Ryan

Went off the deep end. Might be in over my head...

Quote Originally Posted by spud View Post
    Fred- your two comments back to back totally contradict each other.

Spud

im answering two different questions and was probably too vague. the hype on this virus in the US has caused people to overspend which will cause a huge financial problem in the future
    Fred Ahrens
    330-206-1606
    Richards Ohio Maple Equipment
    Ohio CDL sales rep
    LaPierre Dealer
    H&M maple fabricator Dealer
    Service Tech/repair for all brands and electronics

don't take life too serious, nobody gets out alive anyways!

Most of my sales are farmer's markets. They have been shut down till at least the end of April. Earlier in the week it was until April 5. My thinking is they will cancel out longer. All but 1 are on county property. The other doesn't start till the middle of May, but I and others think the local health unit will not allow it to open.

So we're advertising on our personal FB, the market FB, but no hits yet. Only made a few sales so far from the people that always call every year.

I can see people pinching nickels (no pennies here), municipal taxes have been deferred till August, income tax till June.
    2239 total taps. 443 gravity line, 1806 buckets

3x12 remake of a Small Bros. Lightning evaporator.
    3x9 Darveau raised flue pan, 3x3 D&G reversible finishing pan.
    Reist arch

94 Argo 8x8 Magnum
    06 Argo 8x8 Avenger with a 100 US gal. poly tank in the back.
    30 - 45 Imperial gallon gathering station barrels
    1200 Imperial gallons in holding tanks
    Husqvarna 61
    Husqvarna 365

The biggest issue with the Covid 19 is people like Blissville who think it is just being blown up for sensationalism by the media. They are wrong. It seems anyone who gets it transmits it to, as best that can be determined at this point, 2.2 to 2.5 others. This is a significant number. If it was just 2, it would soon have hit over 1000 people because it is exponential. Meaning that 1 becomes 2, 2 becomes 4, 4 becomes 8, 8 becomes 16, 16 becomes 32, 32 becomes 64 and so forth.Those who refuse to practice social distancing are raising that number. Another issue is that a person who gets it is often asymptomatic (without symptoms) for a few days, but they can infect it with others while still being asymptomatic.
    This issue is real and I would be surprised if any bulk buyers are buying until this has been curbed to a degree. While the virus likes warm temperatures, it does not like over the boiling point of water, and even if someone who touched the drum had Covid 19, the virus will die in a few days on the SS barrel.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

So far here syrup going out the door is slow. Lots of customers I have put their names on the containers to pick up at a later date when this thing settles down. Just as I am typing this someone just came in and got a gallon that had tried our syrup last year. Like argohauler lots of people buy at farmer’s markets but they are shut down,who knows for how long? Most of our customers are grateful that we are holding syrup for them,it’s the drive by customers that are staying home as they should.
    7th generation maple producer in sugarhouse built in 1892
    2x World Champion Maple Syrup Producer
    1250 taps on cv adapters
    Leader Vortex 3x14 with Max Flue and Revolution Syrup Pan,Enhanced Steam Away
    www.leggettmaplesyrup.com

Back on topic, People locked up in their houses need waffles.

Fresh maple popcorn seems to blur reality...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mead Maple "It's for the kids..."
    Paul Cerminara
    2019 - First season ever
    -Goal: 3 gallons
    -Season Total: 7.5 gallons - pulled taps after running out of firewood and time
    Built 2'x8' Oil Fired with Thor drop flue pans
    -Goal: 20 gallons
    -Season Total: 55 gallons

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast