+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: C-19 Virus and selling syrup.

Default C-19 Virus and selling syrup.

I cannot help but to wonder how the C-19 virus could affect bulk syrup sales. Has anyone heard of any packers shying away from buying at this time. With maple being a non essential item I’m wondering just how the packers will react.

Spud

I can't comment on Bulk , But my Retailers have been selling an Above average amount of Syrup. So demand has been strong so far.
    Nate Hutchins
    Nate & Kate's Maple
    2022 1000 taps?
    3x10 Intensofire
    20x36 sugarhouse
    CDL 600gph RO
    A wife and 2 kids.

I was told yesterday by a buyer for Bascom that he will not be buying until the middle of May. Other negative is Canadian dollar is at 70 cents US.

My sales for Feb and March are well above any other year. By the way, I don't agree that maple syrup isn't essential and I have lots of customers who agree with me. I don't know about bulk because I haven't sold any bulk in 3 or 4 years.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Quote Originally Posted by Thompson's Tree Farm View Post
    I was told yesterday by a buyer for Bascom that he will not be buying until the middle of May. Other negative is Canadian dollar is at 70 cents US.
    A buyer for Bascom?? Guess I'm not sure what that means, I'll call tomorrow to find out but I highly doubt they have closed doors, sounds like a rumour, everyone wants to be the first to know something!! Spreads like wildfire.

Unless they shut down international trade bascom's won't be affected, Bruce has the market cornered. If they shut down international trade for some crazy reason that's going to be a different ball game

People please use your heads, read between the lines. Coronavirus is Killing something like less than 5% of people who became infected.

80k people died from h1n1 and they never thought about closing anything down. It doesn't make sense. On average 15-20k people dies EVERY year from the flue, I think around a few hundred from this( can't keep up with the numbers, but I DO KNOW they are low) The numbers just don't add up to the response that is happening. Germ warfare keeps coming to mind!! Implanted by a certain government. New way to go green- half the population half the pollution!! But it's not working that efficiently- haha

I just have to keep laughing. I think what happens is when people don't know something and they are unsure and they keep hearing rhetoric whether it be right or wrong they tend to believe because they're unsure to begin with so they don't know what else to do. It's human nature but it can also cause a lot of unneeded pandemonia.

The bottom line is your average person will have no issues with coronavirus same as the flu or pneumonia it's the elderly with multiple health conditions who are at risk. Same thing with the common cold it can wreak havoc for the elderly and doesn't affect the Young.

I hope there's a few people out there that haven't lost their wits. I've been selling syrup left and right more than I usually do this time of year

FYI to the over reactors I said the word "government" but that does not intend make this a political post just had to throw that out there because I'm sure somebody will feel that way
    Last edited by blissville maples; 03-22-2020 at 07:59 AM.
    18x30 sugarshack
    5100 taps high vac
    3x10 inferno with steampan
    7'' wes fab filter press
    10'' cdl air filter press
    D&G 3 post reverse osmosis w/recirculation

well said blissville. way out of proportion
    Fred Ahrens
    330-206-1606
    Richards Ohio Maple Equipment
    Ohio CDL sales rep
    LaPierre Dealer
    H&M maple fabricator Dealer
    Service Tech/repair for all brands and electronics

don't take life too serious, nobody gets out alive anyways!

lets not forget international IS affected. a big part of Europe is in turmoil along with china. this will absolutely impact sales when they cant move product elsewhere guess where it goes- right here flooded and dropping. lets hope this blows over soon. we have lost 15% of annual sales just from 2 week shut down. festivals, fairs and travel cancellations will be a 6 month recovery finacially. just think of all the people that wiped out the grocery and retail stores. at some point they have to pay for that, if its not expendable money they arent buying anything extra for a long time
    Fred Ahrens
    330-206-1606
    Richards Ohio Maple Equipment
    Ohio CDL sales rep
    LaPierre Dealer
    H&M maple fabricator Dealer
    Service Tech/repair for all brands and electronics

don't take life too serious, nobody gets out alive anyways!

People who compare COVID-19 to the flu are missing the point. Yes the flu kills many thousands. However it’s the rate at which this particular Coronavirus spreads (it’s more contagious than flu) and it’s higher death rate that are causing the issues. Hospitals were never overwhelmed by the flu but that is a major concern with Coronavirus. Look at Europe’s struggles. Most reasonable people would prefer that government overreact than under react in this situation. You can pretend that you are smarter than everybody else, but the sad truth is that you’re not.
    Last edited by ecolbeck; 03-22-2020 at 10:44 AM. Reason: Spelling
    60ish taps on buckets
    D&G Sportsman 18x63
    Turbo RB15 RO Bucket

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Bottom line is that much is unknown at this point. There will be considerable deaths, mostly in the elderly and those with underlying health conditions. There will be severe economic and social disruption. How much remains to be determined.

This is not seasonal flu. Many people have had seasonal flu or been immunized and thus have some level of immunity. We have medicines we know work for seasonal flu. The mortality rate for flu is low. This is not H1N1. At least 1/3 of the elderly had immunity to H1N1, meaning that it had been around many decades ago before re-emerging. There were medicines that worked. A new flu vaccine type was developed quickly for H1N1 (it is a type of flu). It tended to kill younger people. The response to H1N1 was fairly quick worldwide, but it still killed a bunch of people.

Coronavirus (the current version) appears to be novel. Nobody has immunity. The mortality rate is 4-10x that of seasonal flu (hard to know for sure at this point due to low testing). It affects all ages, but kills more elderly folks. There are no medicines known to work. There is no vaccine. As testing and other info ramps up, we will know more. The point of the current response is simply to slow down the infection rate to avoid overwhelming the health care system. Rationing of care would not be pretty. Not an easy thing to decide who lives and who dies due to lack of resources.

https://www.biospace.com/article/200...irus-pandemic/
    Last edited by DrTimPerkins; 03-22-2020 at 11:03 AM.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

Sorry to upset you Bliss. I delivered a truckload of syrup to my buyer yesterday. Last year he purchased 20 tractor trailer loads for Bruce. He told me that Bruce wasn't buying until May. I regard that info as more than a rumor. I have no idea if Bruce is buying syrup delivered directly or not. I sell almost a trailer load of syrup each year, most of it to Bruce. I am not a rumor monger. Someone asked for info and I provided the best info I had.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast