It is sometimes NOT the case that certain sanitizers don't work, but are not recommended for a variety of reasons:
- isopropyl alcohol is not legal in the U.S.
- hydrogen peroxide is less effective than other things, and is often (especially in dairy sanitizer formulations) used in combination with other things that require rinsing
- small amounts of residue that would be negligible in some foods (beer, milk) get concentrated in syrup making
- the cost of the material is high, or the cost of use for application/ rinsing (labor) or lost sap (letting first run flow on the ground) negates any benefit you get from using them (it costs more to use than you recoup in added sap yield)
- we don't know enough about it to say

Unfortunately, as I've said before, we are unable to do large-scale field trials of every possible thing that has been suggested. We screened a wide bunch of things initially, and did surveys of what was most popular, and choose sanitization approaches based upon that. However, just because I don't answer questions about specific things doesn't mean I don't have opinions. What it sometimes means is that there is insufficient EVIDENCE to make an informed statement, so I choose not to answer. Sorry.