+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: sanitizing lines, pandemic edition

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

It is sometimes NOT the case that certain sanitizers don't work, but are not recommended for a variety of reasons:
    - isopropyl alcohol is not legal in the U.S.
    - hydrogen peroxide is less effective than other things, and is often (especially in dairy sanitizer formulations) used in combination with other things that require rinsing
    - small amounts of residue that would be negligible in some foods (beer, milk) get concentrated in syrup making
    - the cost of the material is high, or the cost of use for application/ rinsing (labor) or lost sap (letting first run flow on the ground) negates any benefit you get from using them (it costs more to use than you recoup in added sap yield)
    - we don't know enough about it to say

Unfortunately, as I've said before, we are unable to do large-scale field trials of every possible thing that has been suggested. We screened a wide bunch of things initially, and did surveys of what was most popular, and choose sanitization approaches based upon that. However, just because I don't answer questions about specific things doesn't mean I don't have opinions. What it sometimes means is that there is insufficient EVIDENCE to make an informed statement, so I choose not to answer. Sorry.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

Quote Originally Posted by DrTimPerkins View Post
    It is sometimes NOT the case that certain sanitizers don't work, but are not recommended for a variety of reasons:

- small amounts of residue that would be negligible in some foods (beer, milk) get concentrated in syrup making

Unfortunately, as I've said before, we are unable to do large-scale field trials of every possible thing that has been suggested. We screened a wide bunch of things initially, and did surveys of what was most popular, and choose sanitization approaches based upon that. However, just because I don't answer questions about specific things doesn't mean I don't have opinions. What it sometimes means is that there is insufficient EVIDENCE to make an informed statement, so I choose not to answer. Sorry.
    I had assumed this was a reason for not using PBW for cleaning (I find PBW also needs lots of rinsing) and/or Star-San for sanitizing for maple sap where they will be concentrated during boiling. However, one of the main uses for Star-San in brewing beer is for sanitizing during bottling/kegging - it is supposed to be "food safe" so the bottles/kegs do not have to dry before filling with beer and it's not supposed to affect flavor. That was the process I used when I made my own beer and bottled it - but I have been afraid to do the same for maple syrup bottling. Does anyone use Star-San for sanitizing with maple syrup bottling? The Star-san is not being concentrated if it's used for final bottling, Or just heat the syrup and this sanitizing with Star-San is not necessary?

I have just today filled my lines with sodium hypochlorite. All the way out to the drop lines. We have them soaking. I wondered what’s best to do. We are leaving these lines up. If I let the bleach solution drain out and flush with water. Do you just flush it and plug it up. I hate to get mold in it.
    What’s the best practice.
    Jerry

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I did the same thing except I used calcium hypochlorite, just filled all my 3/16 lines with calcium hypochlorite. Not sure if I should drain now and flush with water or just leave till fall. I was reading the article in the maple news that said he is draining in the fall.

https://www.themaplenews.com/story/s...TKvJ3QRmSznNRU
    Last edited by VTNewbie; 04-19-2020 at 01:13 PM.
    2019 50 aluminum buckets, selling sap. First year 19.7 gallons of syrup
    2020 130 on 3/16 tubing and 30 on aluminum buckets

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12